Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heat Pump PT Sensor Replacement (P2) - recall - service message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really a re-gas, they extract the gas currently in the system and put it back afterwards because it'll still work - they'll top up the system if necessary afterwards, of course.

It's not legal to just release the gas, it hasn't been since the 1990 EPA came into effect; waste refrigerants go for processing and are either recovered (if they're still viable) or incinerated because they're quite bad for the old Ozone layer.

However... They categorically told me it would be a re-gas, because there has been problems and that's the reason they need it longer. But it's also everything else that's now gone into the parts bin.

Last edited:
Mine has been done at MK SC this evening. Dropped off at 17.00 and got a message to say that I can collect the next day from 6am.
I was told on the phone that the repairs have been taking much longer than expected - 3-5 hours. They offered to get me an Uber if I wanted but i decided it’s a nice evening so will walk.

On the model Y forums, some are reporting longer fix times because it needs extra gas added.

I do wonder if the issue could be leaky sensors, hence lowered efficiency and why some stop working. With the message triggered when the idle pressure drops below a threshold. That might also explain why it's being done so stealth like.

My M3LR was delivered 15th December. Warning message was received a couple of weeks ago and the car was booked in for today 28/5.

However, Tesla then called me last week to say the SC could only repair 4 cars per day with this fault, so mine was rebooked for 11th June. Will be frustrating if they then do not have the parts available.

I had my car’s sensors replaced today (drop-off in the morning and pick-up in the evening), after a one-week delay in my original service appointment—which may have been based on loaner availability more than parts availability. At drop-off, the service associate mentioned that about 2 out of every 100 cars requires replacement of the entire manifold, resulting in up to 8-week delays because of present parts shortages. I can’t vouch for either of those metrics, but thought they may be of interest.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
A heat pump just moves heat from A to B. An air conditioning unit is a heat pump, it moves heat away from a hot area and makes an area cold. So Tesla has done what many home wall mounted A/C units now do, they heat in winter and cool in summer. The clever part is reducing something that is the size of a large suitcase outside our house into something that can sit under the "Frunk". ICE cars use waste heat because it is simple and cheap, plus an A/C cooler. All EV cars should use a 2 way heat pump.

An interesting quirk of UK VAT rules is that a room heater attracts 5% VAT, an A/C unit 20%. So you buy an air source heat pump room heater and then discover an "unintended" feature is that it will also cool!