Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heat Pump PT Sensor Replacement (P2) - recall - service message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just booked my 2021 M3 in for a service appointment as the ducting around the windscreen had come loose, seems the clip has broken and no longer sits flush, so when the Frunk opens it pushes it out. of position once again.

However, I've just had a quote back (For £0 mind) which is listing a replacement of all 3 PT Sensors labeled 'Model 3/Y Heat Pump PT Sensor Replacement (P2)' but nothing for the windscreen trim.

Seems that Tesla is replacing the Heat Pump Sensors at the same time? Un-sure why.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 474
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Just booked my 2021 M3 in for a service appointment as the ducting around the windscreen had come loose, seems the clip has broken and no longer sits flush, so when the Frunk opens it pushes it out. of position once again.

However, I've just had a quote back (For £0 mind) which is listing a replacement of all 3 PT Sensors labeled 'Model 3/Y Heat Pump PT Sensor Replacement (P2)' but nothing for the windscreen trim.

Seems that Tesla is replacing the Heat Pump Sensors at the same time? Un-sure why.
It's a service recall, they are taking the opportunity while your car is in anyway.

Reactions: Arran

Sorry for your pain, but I'm reassured that this isn't just a 2020 car problem! Mine have done this, Tesla's fix was to add sticky tape to it! (which doesn't work very well, as there is nothing for it to stick to). I don't think the clip is the problem.. what happens is once it has been bent back once by the bonnet being lifted, it never sits right again, and always sticks out afterwards - to be caught the next time you raise the bonnet).

A little silicon sealant and job done.
Tempted too if it comes back broken!

Sorry for your pain, but I'm reassured that this isn't just a 2020 car problem! Mine have done this, Tesla's fix was to add sticky tape to it! (which doesn't work very well, as there is nothing for it to stick to). I don't think the clip is the problem.. what happens is once it has been bent back once by the bonnet being lifted, it never sits right again, and always sticks out afterwards - to be caught the next time you raise the bonnet).
How have you managed to fix it? Pushing it back in every time? I fear the same, however it's bent so much now that I can only see a replacement of the trim-piece to make it sit flush once again.

It's a service recall, they are taking the opportunity while your car is in anyway.

Appreciate this, hopefully it's a somewhat a quick fix and they don't have to hold onto the car all day :)

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
People are receiving service messages on their screen now to book in for the sensor. Do I have to wait since my car blows hit and cold at 21 degrees even though it’s cold outside. You never know if it will be warm air or cold air coming out.

People are receiving service messages on their screen now to book in for the sensor. Do I have to wait since my car blows hit and cold at 21 degrees even though it’s cold outside. You never know if it will be warm air or cold air coming out.

If you have an issue now and it matters to you then report it now, no need to wait.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Unexpected condition with the heating system detected"

I woke up to this message on my 2021 M3
395C021C-FC3B-4695-99FA-AF2B4FEE1AEA.jpeg

Any idea what that could be? I’ve got the feeling the heat pump isn’t rumbling anymore. So that could be it. I haven’t noticed anything yet.
How do these service appointment works. Will they do it while you wait or do I have to organise a taxi home?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be common with the new firmware and the 2021 M3s.. I've seen multiple posts showing it.

It seems they're premptively flagging the faulty heatpumps instead of waiting for owners to notice.

Depending on the fix either someone will come out to you to do the fix, or you'll have to take it to an SC. If it takes a long time you'll get the offer of a loan car (or in some cases where they're all out, uber credits).

This happened to mine this morning too funnily enough, MY21 M3 LR delivered Q4 2020 (i.e. Fremont built). Have booked it in already for next week. I thought the AC had been blowing cold regardless of setting the past few days but wasn't sure and then when this popped up I thought it was related... but I can buy into the above idea that they're simply pulling in cars at a rate they can manage... the Tesla beta tester customer experience continues!

Yesterday I received the same message on my MY21 M3 LR delivered Q4 2020 (also Fremont built). Service appointments were available from Wednesday next week (19 May) at a couple of Service Centers outside of London, which suggests parts stock may be available to address the issue (at least for now).