TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Heater Blows Cold Air

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by CB de Tejas, Jan 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CB de Tejas

CB de Tejas Member

Bought my Model 3 last June and brought it to South Korea with me and now experiencing my first Winter here. Really frustrated how the heater does not work. I’ve watched YouTube videos explaining how it needs time to heat the battery before the heater blows warm air. I’ve driven it on long trips lately (1 hour minimum) and heater did not kick in at all. Car seat heats up right away but heater blows only cold air. Worse is that the nearest Tesla “service center” is a couple of hours away. Does anyone here have any good advice on this issue? Thanks in advance.

2. Twochewy

Twochewy Member

It's a resistance heater that only takes a minute for the warm air to flow, faster than an ICE car. Your HVAC is turned on right? Otherwise, you need to make a service appointment.

3. CB de Tejas

CB de Tejas Member

It is. I will take it to the Service Center soon to have a look. Thanks for the perspective.

4. NixGhost

NixGhost Member

Curious what happened with this.

5. 640k

640k Member

what temperature is it set at? without knowing what the cabin temperature is, it's hard to determine if the heater is at fault, or the user.

6. Yragorn

Yragorn Member

I have the same issue, I always left my setting at 19Celsius. I have a feeling that from time to time, the cold air is a result of the car diverting the heat to the battery temporarily? When I found cold air coming in, I increased to 23C cabin interior, and heat came back, then I reduced it again to 19C

7. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Set the thermostat temperature to six degrees Fahrenheit (3.3 C) above what you want, and it will work as desired.

8. Fresnel

Fresnel Member

The heating system is the biggest thing that I don't like about my 3. I HATE that it blows cold air after reaching the set temp vs lowering to a slow speed of hot air. The solution I use is to leave it on HI but have it set to 1. That usually is enough to keep the temps inside nice without the hot air cold air flip flop that it does. I think you should try setting it to HI and if it doesn't get hot.. there is deff a problem with your system.

9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The 3 (along with S and X) cabin heater is completely separate from the pack heater.
    A/C capacity can be diverted to cool the pack though.

10. Occhis

Occhis Member

What’s the secret to getting heat on interstate going 75 and outside temp less than 35F. Once I slow below 50 or 55 I get warm air. I keep the fan on auto, though changing fan speed doesn’t seem to do much.