Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heatpump soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll have to remove the frunk liner to be 100% sure I'd say. But I'll bet you a tenner you don't have one.
the tape, straps and wooden packing pieces will be the giveaway if you do:
20200909-Tesla-Model-Y-Trim.jpg

The past week or so had some cold days and I was amazed how quickly heat started flowing from the vents, less than ten seconds and before I left my drive.

I had thought the heater was water based with an immersed heater but the speed of operation would make me think it is warm air using elements like a regular room heater.

Anyone know?

The past week or so had some cold days and I was amazed how quickly heat started flowing from the vents, less than ten seconds and before I left my drive.

I had thought the heater was water based with an immersed heater but the speed of operation would make me think it is warm air using elements like a regular room heater.

Anyone know?
It is a resistive heater as far as I am aware, that is why it warms up so quickly, but also uses much more power. A heat pump will take longer to heat up but will be much more efficient. I can only assume tesla didn't think about it initially because all they think of is California.

Yes, the standard heater at the moment is a PTC element, so pretty fast to heat up. I've had a couple of cars with reversible heat pumps, and although they work OK they were slow to heat up, annoyingly slow for windscreen deicing in winter. The octovalve does exactly the same as a valve I have in our home heat pump set up, it short circuits the flow and return from the heat pump until it's heated up/cooled down, then switches the flow around to whichever heating/cooling demand has priority. It's a clever and neat bit of integration, and should mean that the heat pump can provide heating or cooling more quickly, but I doubt it will be quite as fast acting as the PTC heating element we have now.

Perhaps worth remembering that all existing Tesla's have heat pumps, the difference with the octovalve version is that, like our home heat pump, Tesla have made it reversible, so it can heat and cool, rather than just cool. The octovalve is really a clever replacement for the superbottle, the almost as clever valve system that is standard in current Model 3s.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and ringi