Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heatpump?

Will the M3 get a heatpump?

• Yes, at around the same time all the models do.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Yes, sometime after S and X get it.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, the S and X will get it but the M3 not anytime soon

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, the 3, S, and X will not get it anytime soon

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that they will roll it out after they have all the bugs worked out in the Model Y. (So in about year; after it had gone through all the seasons.) Starting with the Model 3 since it will be the easiest to retrofit.

There are rumors of a 1 week long assembly line shutdown soon.
I would be interested in seeing if they add the heatpump, octovalve and allow the Model 3 and Y to have the exact same parts. In other words, the battery pack will be swap-able between cars. This could cut down on cost for Tesla and adding the heatpump to the 3 will increase range/efficiency a little.

I would be interested in seeing if they add the heatpump, octovalve and allow the Model 3 and Y to have the exact same parts. In other words, the battery pack will be swap-able between cars. This could cut down on cost for Tesla and adding the heatpump to the 3 will increase range/efficiency a little.

I think they will want more long-term experience with the heat pump before they put it in the Model 3. There have been a lot of HVAC teething pains so far with the Model Y, no reason to make the Model 3 go through the same thing.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
I agree.

The Heatpump is mostly associated to the current Model Y battery implementation.

If the Model S/X or the Model 3 in the future receive a new battery then the effort for putting an Headpump would be justified.

Otherwise the process of re-validating an upgraded cooling system on an existing Model don't seem worthwhile.

Honestly, the Headpump is certainly great especially in cold climate, but let say overall it could be only a 10% (?) improvement.

What people are the more concern is the initial price of the car, and a 10% or so range improvement would not move too much sales.

I just try to imagine the current complexity of managing new software release considering the number of version of each models,
and the number of changes already made year after years, and also the location of the car (Right Hand Drive, European Regulations...).

So adding a new Headpump would almost double the number of software versions to manage when making a new release build,

Last edited:
Reactions: New_Old_Stock