Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Heavy Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my Model 3, other than my generally being in love - my first thought was “the steering is super heavy”.

After messing around with the settings - I found Comfort mode and switched to that. It helped, but it’s been in the back of my mind that it’s heavy ever since.

I got in my Audi A1 yesterday having not driven it since getting the Model 3 and WOW. The power steering in the A1 makes turning so so easy.

Is it normal for the Model 3 to have heavy steering, or could there be something up with my car? The difference between the Model 3 and A1 is night and day.

It’s not as if the A1 is inaccurate or anything either.

Reactions: Sparkypants
Variations between cars are quite common in this regard. It falls firmly into the 'stuff you'll get used to' category for me.

The Model 3 probably appeals to a sportier market than the A1, sportier cars tend to have heavier steering which makes them easier to drive at pace.

When I first got my Model 3, other than my generally being in love - my first thought was “the steering is super heavy”.

After messing around with the settings - I found Comfort mode and switched to that. It helped, but it’s been in the back of my mind that it’s heavy ever since.

I got in my Audi A1 yesterday having not driven it since getting the Model 3 and WOW. The power steering in the A1 makes turning so so easy.

Is it normal for the Model 3 to have heavy steering, or could there be something up with my car? The difference between the Model 3 and A1 is night and day.

I'd say there's something wrong with your car. The comfort steering is super light. When I get in the Porsche after driving the 3 its like driving a bus the steering is so heavy.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
mine was like this - first few 100 miles had my arms and back cramping up. Took it in and apparently the alignment was way out. If you can take it in they will do it, or if you are far away find a decent shop that can do it for you (not a quickfit).

Have had the same thought actually, haven't checked if I am on comfort or normal steering though.

I use "sport" setting on my 3 and like it that way. But I drove my old TT recently for the first time in a month or so and thought the steering wheel was disconnected from the real wheels since it was so light. I think we adapt quickly.

Hi,

I picked mine up yesterday and that was my first thought too. Infact, I found this thread because I was searching for that very thing... I'm coming from an A6 which had very light steering and I appreciate the performance is a sports car so was wondering if it was just in my head, but I don't remember it being that heavy in the test drive.

There are a few other issues - the boot doesn't shut properly, misaligned panels (I thought all that was ironed out!), deep scratches on the front passenger seat, paint chip in the drivers door - so it's going back regardless. It's almost as if our particular model was rushed or something. Odd... anyway I'll ask them to look at this at the same time.

Please update the thread with how you get on and i'll do vice versa. Unlikely to be this side of Christmas though...

Adam.

Reactions: Sparkypants