Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Hitch Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently ordered a hitch for our Model 3 to attach a bike rack for the summer.. Is that something that is best to have a service center install or something people have had luck in general garages? Also if anyone has a recommendation for a place to contact in the Roaring Fork Valley that would be super helpful!

We recently ordered a hitch for our Model 3 to attach a bike rack for the summer.. Is that something that is best to have a service center install or something people have had luck in general garages? Also if anyone has a recommendation for a place to contact in the Roaring Fork Valley that would be super helpful!
If you have the 2019 Model 3, the underneath cover has an opening for the hitch, otherwise you will need to make a cut.

Which hitch did you ordered? The best are the one that can be hidden, I mean that you can easily remove the tongue when not in use.
This can be preferable to avoid touching the ground like when entering into a garage driveway with a ramp.

I have seen video on you tube where someone made a cut into the plastic cover bumper, so the hitch is flush with the under body of the car.
This might be necessary if you have the performance, which is lower.

Do you have a 1"1/4 or a 2" hitch? And which bicycle mount are you using?

There are tons of YouTube videos dealing with the installation. Something very important is that the hitch will be made of iron,
while the rear panel is made of aluminium. So during the installation, the parts need to be isolated with some plastic films,
and the bolts need also to be isolated to avoid corrosion.

Note: Did you took advantage of a President Day sales?

If you have the 2019 Model 3, the underneath cover has an opening for the hitch, otherwise you will need to make a cut.

Which hitch did you ordered? The best are the one that can be hidden, I mean that you can easily remove the tongue when not in use.
This can be preferable to avoid touching the ground like when entering into a garage driveway with a ramp.

I have seen video on you tube where someone made a cut into the plastic cover bumper, so the hitch is flush with the under body of the car.
This might be necessary if you have the performance, which is lower.

Do you have a 1"1/4 or a 2" hitch? And which bicycle mount are you using?

There are tons of YouTube videos dealing with the installation. Something very important is that the hitch will be made of iron,
while the rear panel is made of aluminium. So during the installation, the parts need to be isolated with some plastic films,
and the bolts need also to be isolated to avoid corrosion.

Note: Did you took advantage of a President Day sales?
We went with 2” and it’s a stealth eco hitch. If Tesla won’t do it after market what type of shop would install? My husband and father in law may attempt but wanted to check!

Is it the Torklift hitch? Their website will list all the local shops who are certified to install their products. I used the place listed for my area, and in spite of the place looking like a dump, they did absolutely fabulous work. If it's not the Torklift, check the website anyway and I'll be you'll find someone in your area who could do a good job. Torklift Central | Torklift Central Hitch Tow installs trailer hitches for all types of vehicles, specializes in custom fabrication and manufactures the EcoHitch to help you Get Out and Go Your Way!

Is it the Torklift hitch? Their website will list all the local shops who are certified to install their products. I used the place listed for my area, and in spite of the place looking like a dump, they did absolutely fabulous work. If it's not the Torklift, check the website anyway and I'll be you'll find someone in your area who could do a good job. Torklift Central | Torklift Central Hitch Tow installs trailer hitches for all types of vehicles, specializes in custom fabrication and manufactures the EcoHitch to help you Get Out and Go Your Way!
Yes it is! Ok great thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I just finished installing mine. I bought these cheap ramps to roll the car up on. It gave me plenty of room underneath. It took a while but the instructional video was flawless. I was in no rush and enjoyed the project.
20200324_141301.jpg
20200324_135557.jpg

Just made an appointment for an Eco hitch installation at Rack N Road in San Jose, CA. Its an ~4 hour drive, but I've had them install 2 hitches on 2 different cars over the years and was happy with the results.

I'm getting the model with 2" receiver. A question (for maybe Telstar)--whats the maximum you plan to load onto the hitch. My previous 1 1/4" hitches were limited to 200lbs of tongue weight, but the 2" can handle at least 300lbs. I very rarely carry more than one 20lb bike, but i do take several trips a year when I load up 3 bikes and, with the 3rd bike add-on to my 2 bike platform rack, I'm right at the 200lb mark. I was assured by several installers that the Model 3 can handle 300lbs.

I installed the Eco Hitch on my 3 earlier this month. I took one afternoon to install the hitch and agree with Telstar that the ramps and the youtube videos made it pretty straightforward. Popping the sides of the rear bumper cover away from the rear quarter panels is a little nerve racking, but it isn't hard. The following weekend I installed one of the Tecnosha wiring adapters that uses clamp on current sensors so that no cutting or splicing was required. I used the 12 Volt output on the battery penthouse to power it. I spent about 4 hours on the hitch, and 2 hours on the wiring. I used the hitch for the first time yesterday to tow my 4X8 aluminum utility trailer 10 miles to a fabrication shop to drop off a part to be repaired. Other than backing up (which the Parking distance sensors dont like!), you would never know the trailer is there. My load had a combined weight of about 750 pounds, with about 70 on the tongue. I couldn't detect any difference in acceleration, braking, or handling, which is what i expected. For light duty towing (in my mind, under 1000 pounds) the 3 seems to be very capable.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and android04
@Telstar Nice setup. I currently own 3 road bikes (one's an eBike) and plan to pick up an electric mountain bike. This summer's travel plans include some Oregon and Washington state mountain biking with 2 friends and 3 electric mountain bikes. I'll still be under 200lbs, but I don't like pushing up against spec limits, so the 300lb limit will give me plenty of breathing room.