Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 home charging efficiency %?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of testing has been done. There's a main thread too, but can't find it. The EPA also has some relevant data.

There's three things:
  • 300W fixed overhead for coolant pumps, computers, etc. (biggest loss, usually)
  • AC-DC conversion losses
  • Delivery losses (from meter, through plug, to your car - usually negligible).
A 120V 12A setup (North American standard outlet) is the worst. You'll get about 75% of the energy delivered into the battery. Reducing the current would deliver much less. Cutting it to 6A would result in about 55% efficiency.

Level 2 charging at higher powers is best. Basically, you're trying to make the 300W overhead be a small portion of the power reaching the car. I think the max 240V setup with 48A would be close to 95%, but 32A isn't that much worse, maybe 91% or so to my recollection.

There was a noticeable jump for us switching from 120V/12A to 240V/24A in efficiency via the electricity bill.

Edit: to actually answer your question, for example:
120V, 12A: 53.3kWh to charge 40kWh (roughly)
240V, 24A: 44.0kWh to charge 40kWh (roughly)

I think the max 240V setup with 48A would be close to 95%, but 32A isn't that much worse, maybe 91% or so to my recollection.
5% strikes me as too much of a difference between 32 and 48 Amps

If overhead is 0.3 kW and 32 Amps is 8 kW then overhead is a 300/8000 = 3.75% inefficiency
At 48 Amps 300/12,000 = 2.5% inefficiency

This suggests that the higher Amps saves ~ 1.25%, presuming the other losses are similar. And at least in terms of resistive losses, the higher Amp charge will have 2.25x higher losses.

---
No matter, your post was spot on. I summarize it as "get 240 volt charging."

After 1 year with the Model 3 Standard Plus (55KWh), I spent 3285 KWh in charge, while only 2688 KWh was delivered (and then available) by the battery. It represents a 18% loss.
Charging most of time at 240V, 3x5A. Rarely 3x16A or superchargers.
Up to now, I was thinking that a lower power would result in better efficiency. What does represent this constant overhead at 0.3 kW? Is it linked to AC-DC conversion ? Battery heating?

After 1 year with the Model 3 Standard Plus (55KWh), I spent 3285 KWh in charge, while only 2688 KWh was delivered (and then available) by the battery. It represents a 18% loss.
Up to now, I was thinking that a lower power would result in better efficiency. What does represent this constant overhead at 0.3 kW? Is it linked to AC-DC conversion ? Battery heating?

The 300W accounts for overheads like the computers, coolant pumps, etc. that are all going during charging. The AC/DC conversion is closer to 94% (it varies). The overheads are one of the worst for available EVs. Any battery heating is subject to conditions of course, and would be significantly more energy than 300W. I can go into more detail of you'd like later - I'm on my phone right now so I'll spare myself the typing.

The formula I now recommend is something like this:

Net Energy = (Volts x Amps x 0.94) - 300​

This formula holds fairly accurate for me over a large range of values, but is slightly off at very low powers (it over-reports, i.e. reality is worse than the calculation).

If my understanding is correct, I can take your 3ph 5A and count it as 15A. Working the numbers, one would expect somewhere around 85.7% charging efficiency. Your kWh numbers work out to 81.8%, but I'm not sure how you are measuring energy delivered by the battery (you could be missing standby usage for example, if using the trip meters).

I have some data but not enough to conclude anything regarding heat losses. I don't expect they're as significant.

I just did the math for a 2015 P85D charging from 70% to 80% (8.5kwh).

The app said it was charging at 12A, 116V. In theory, it should have taken 6.11 hours to add 8.5kWh, but it actually took 7.83 hours.

12A * 116V * 7.83h * 1kWh/1000Wh = 10.899kWh.

So that's 10.9kwh to charge the battery 8.5kwh. In other words, only 77.9% of the power went to charging the battery. The rest (22.1%) was probably lost as heat and consumption. I imagine the efficiency drops as you get closer to a full battery.

I also plugged in far away from my panel, which could explain 116V instead of 120V, so there are more losses upstream.

Faster charging means the coolant pumps and fans and computers run for less time, that might explain the difference?