Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone help me understand my options for home charging on my model 3? I read that the high power wall connector (HPWC) has two generations which there are differences between. Then I read that some people prefer NEMA 14-50.

I have the option to buy a 1st Gen hpwc for $350 brand new but I'm not sure if there's any drawback to the first Gen or not. What are people recommendations and does anyone know the max current/power ratings for each option?

Thank!

Model 3 using a 14-50 and the included UMC (Mobile connector) - 32a max

Model 3 using a 14-50 and a gen 1 UMC (Mobile connector) - 40a max

WC - 48a. (Assuming wired correctly on a 60a breaker or higher, can also be set lower if necessary based on home electric considerations)

Gen1 and Gen2 HPWC/WC are similar in charging rate. The Gen2 can smartly share power (for example you have 50a max circuit - they can be wired together and not allow the total to exceed 50a. So two cars can be plugged in).

There have been some comments in a gen1 HPWC not charging a model s with the MCU2. I don’t think I’ve read any compatibility issues with a 3.

Last edited:
The Gen1 is fine. Either buy it and then pay for a hard-wired installation, or pay for a 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector. The latter is limited to 32 Amps (about 30 miles range per hour charging), while the Gen1 will go up to 48 Amps (about 45 miles range per hour charging) in your car if you install a 60 Amp circuit and breaker.

People have reported a hefty 'Tesla tax' on the hard wired connection by electricians. A 14-50 outlet can be requested without mentioning the specific use.

If the outlet is outside then either buy a 14-50 box rated for outside or (I think) you can go with the HPWC.

Last edited:
First question that everyone should have asked is how far do you commute? This tends to suggest that amount of current/voltage that you will need to charge overnight. My wife charges on 120V 15A and she is very happy. I charge on 240V 32A and it is significant overkill.

If you want a pretty Tesla branded solution capable of the fastest charging, then the wall mount HPWC is the way to go. At max, it does require a lot of current and just connecting the wires to your service panel can be an expensive solution. Normal houses $500-$3000, apartments >$10,000. It all depends on if you have enough capacity in your breaker box and how far away it is and if the wires can be routed to where you want it. You can use the HPWC either hardwired or through a plug to a NEMA 14-50 outlet (although this lowers maximum current)

Stepping down is using the mobile cable that comes with the car (UMC) or buying an extra one and plugging in to that same NEMA 14-50 outlet. The UMC is cheaper than the HPWC and does allow you to use the plug for other reasons, such as a different charger for another electric vehicle or plugging in a camper.

The same UMC cable can be plugged into a variety of plugs with the appropriate adapter. The charging capability changes dependent on the plug.

And finally the UMC will plug into a standard 120V 15A wall plug, but you only get a few miles per hours charge rate.

See Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters for different charging rates.

First question that everyone should have asked is how far do you commute? This tends to suggest that amount of current/voltage that you will need to charge overnight. My wife charges on 120V 15A and she is very happy. I charge on 240V 32A and it is significant overkill.

If you want a pretty Tesla branded solution capable of the fastest charging, then the wall mount HPWC is the way to go. At max, it does require a lot of current and just connecting the wires to your service panel can be an expensive solution. Normal houses $500-$3000, apartments >$10,000. It all depends on if you have enough capacity in your breaker box and how far away it is and if the wires can be routed to where you want it. You can use the HPWC either hardwired or through a plug to a NEMA 14-50 outlet (although this lowers maximum current)

Stepping down is using the mobile cable that comes with the car (UMC) or buying an extra one and plugging in to that same NEMA 14-50 outlet. The UMC is cheaper than the HPWC and does allow you to use the plug for other reasons, such as a different charger for another electric vehicle or plugging in a camper.

The same UMC cable can be plugged into a variety of plugs with the appropriate adapter. The charging capability changes dependent on the plug.

And finally the UMC will plug into a standard 120V 15A wall plug, but you only get a few miles per hours charge rate.

See Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters for different charging rates.
The cost you're talking about for the hpwc - is that to hire an electrician or to diy? I'd like to do it myself if possible so I'm wondering if that cost will still be high

The cost you're talking about for the hpwc - is that to hire an electrician or to diy? I'd like to do it myself if possible so I'm wondering if that cost will still be high
DIY costs will be much less if you can do it - all you pay for is parts and permits. I was able to install the wall connector for ~$750, including the price of the connector. But costs vary greatly depending on your specific circumstances. Short wire runs with no panel upgrades can be done very cheaply.

The circuit preparation is no different than say a dryer or range circuit. If you have no idea the cost of materials, for that type of work and the capacities of your panel. Perhaps you shouldn’t being doing it yourself.

The wall connector or outlet for UMC is the easiest part of the whole thing.

I would not use UMC solution if it’s outdoors.

The HPWC is the way to go. It is more robust, has a longer charging cord, and can output more juice to your car. Even if you don’t think you’ll ever need the higher charge rate, about once a year I find myself needing it. I forget to charge the night before after a long day of driving and I have another heavy day. It happens, so being able to get more miles for an hour or so of charging is a real plus.

The only substantial difference between Gen 1 and 2 is that you can gang two Gen 2 chargers together to share a breaker circuit. If you get a second EV, just run a dedicated circuit for the second EV, and you’re good to go.

If you do it yourself, I’d recommend installing as big a circuit as your car can support, which in this case is a 60A breaker. My blog/info site can give you the basic info about North American electricity (for instance this page CarCharging.us). Now that I think about it, I don’t have a specific page about doing a DIY install. I should add that. When looking up ampacity capacity of wire, make sure you look up the appropriate wire you will be using. Ampacity of romex is usually different from THHN that you usually use inside conduit, I’d recommend using this forum to ask any Qs about your DIY install, and just ignore all,those that will say to get a $1000 electrician.

I’d recommend using this forum to ask any Qs about your DIY install, and just ignore all,those that will say to get a $1000 electrician.
I tend to share that sentiment but the DIY'r should not be clueless about electricity and only have an LED bulb on their CV. Trying to follow a recipe slavishly without any idea why is dangerous here. Not understanding the critical points of an install that can be prone to failure or fire is dangerous. Knowing when to spend more money on parts is important.

I tend to share that sentiment but the DIY'r should not be clueless about electricity and only have an LED bulb on their CV. Trying to follow a recipe slavishly without any idea why is dangerous here. Not understanding the critical points of an install that can be prone to failure or fire is dangerous. Knowing when to spend more money on parts is important.

Which is why I recommended he use this forum for questions. But there are lots of DIY references for electrical install as well.

Be careful taking advise from those who suggest a 120volt solution as this will not work well in a climate like Boston.
With my Model S and a short commute here near Green Bay a 30amp 240volt connection was marginal far as battery warming efficiency.

Also if doing a HCWC I would not go short sighted and worry about this car's charging rate but rather size it to the house panel capacity. Maybe your next car can charge at a higher rate or maybe later you decide to do two EVs and updating the wall connector and adding another is easier if the wiring is already sized appropriately.

I believe the higher charge rated offered by the wall connector also lead to extra battery warming and better Regen when starting out in cold weather.

Which is why I recommended he use this forum for questions. But there are lots of DIY references for electrical install as well.
You reminded me ... knowing one's limits.

I called an electrician to install a 14-50 in one home and figured I would DIY install if a future outlet was needed. But the next home had a panel and sub-panel arrangement I did not understand so I called an electrician for that one, too.

You reminded me ... knowing one's limits.

I called an electrician to install a 14-50 in one home and figured I would DIY install if a future outlet was needed. But the next home had a panel and sub-panel arrangement I did not understand so I called an electrician for that one, too.
Just so everyone knows I've been an electrical engineer in the field for 6 years so I have the right equipment and know what I'm doing, I just have never done electrical work on my home. I haven't Googled anything - this thread really helps as a starting point for the high level idea and I'm confident I can figure out the cabling, current capacity, and install myself thank you all for the info.

Just so everyone knows I've been an electrical engineer in the field for 6 years so I have the right equipment and know what I'm doing, I just have never done electrical work on my home. I haven't Googled anything - this thread really helps as a starting point for the high level idea and I'm confident I can figure out the cabling, current capacity, and install myself thank you all for the info.
First step is to make sure you acquaint yourself with the National Electrical Code (NEC). I don't know about local Boston regulations but the NEC is a solid, best practices guideline for not burning down your house. :0 It covers what you need for wire gauge, breaker size, conduit sizing if you end up running the wire down that, and so on.

Plenty of DIY sources out there to guide you through it but just a basic electrical engineer background should get you mostly though, if you haven't already encountered it via your work.

Reactions: AMIYY4YOU
30A/14-30 and the UMC has been sufficient for us, with 110 mi daily commute. Car charges from 11pm to 4am every night at a rate of 24 mi/hr. Can't imagine needing more juice. 30A circuit is easy as can be to wire up.

In my quite cold climate near Green Bay and again with a Model S I found the 30amp outlet marginal. It got me the range I needed but if charging timing wasn't quite right morning warmup of battery/interior could actually consume a few miles.
This fall I have had a few mornings where it was cold enough for regen limiting but sofar I have found that if I let it charge at more than 40amps right up till I leave it seems to actually warm enough to get full regen. Not really cold yet, but I really believe that in cold climates, more amperage is worth it.

I am speculating here but I think what happens is that it can begin charging at a reduced rate while still warming if the amperage can cover both which speeds up warming, and then the heat generated by the elevated charge rate once the battery has hit the warming threshold warms it further, or maybe an update has allowed the battery heater to warm the battery further.

Unfortunately I continue to make changes to the house and have no means to measure car use alone so I will not be able to verify my belief that high amperage is more efficient overall in cold weather.