Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Home Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you current Tesla owners, I have an unusual situation where I have a high-power (up to 75A) non-Tesla EVSE in my garage. I know I will have to use the J1772 to Tesla adapter with it. What is the Amperage rating on this adapter? It looks like the specs might be printed on it, but can't find a clear enough picture on the internet to be certain. Hopefully at least 50A, so I can get full benefit of my old EVSE with the Model 3!

For you current Tesla owners, I have an unusual situation where I have a high-power (up to 75A) non-Tesla EVSE in my garage. I know I will have to use the J1772 to Tesla adapter with it. What is the Amperage rating on this adapter? It looks like the specs might be printed on it, but can't find a clear enough picture on the internet to be certain. Hopefully at least 50A, so I can get full benefit of my old EVSE with the Model 3!

Working from memory of other threads (use the search perhaps) it is 80a. So CS100 would work at full speed.

Amazon has the Cooper NEMA 14-50 power receptacle on sale for $7.99. It says Eaton on the link but it is actually the Cooper and you will receive the Cooper part which is the recommended part listed on the Tesla install instructions for NEMA 14-50. The wall plate is also around $7.00. Just received both. Other sites list the Cooper part for over $50.00.

Eaton 1258-SP 50-Amp Power Receptacle - Rv Receptacles - Amazon.com

Just an update that I had the NEMA 14-50 flush mount outlet installed today. Electrician took a bit over an hour. Plug is on inside wall opposite from the outside breakers using 6 gauge wire.. so very short run. They needed to have two open spots in the junction box for the two 50 AMP breakers. Cost was $360.00 from a licensed and bonded electrician. I felt it was a bit high, but he did an excellent job.

Just an update that I had the NEMA 14-50 flush mount outlet installed today. Electrician took a bit over an hour. Plug is on inside wall opposite from the outside breakers using 6 gauge wire.. so very short run. They needed to have two open spots in the junction box for the two 50 AMP breakers. Cost was $360.00 from a licensed and bonded electrician. I felt it was a bit high, but he did an excellent job.
Unfortunately with this setup you not going to be able to get the full 48A.

Unfortunately with this setup you not going to be able to get the full 48A.
True. However, while faster home charging is nice, it's not a requirement for everyone. We're still using the 30A EVSE that we bought for our LEAF in 2011, and it's adequate to charge our Model S overnight. As a smaller, more efficient car than the Model S, the Model 3 will charge at a faster rate, in terms of miles/kilometers of range added per hour, given the same amperage.

Exactly, the additional cost to go from 40 to 48 amp charging just isn't worth it to most people. The incremental cost may even scare people away.

I use the EVSE that came with the car on a 14-50 and I set the current to 32a. Never had a problem being fully charged by morning.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Exactly, the additional cost to go from 40 to 48 amp charging just isn't worth it to most people. The incremental cost may even scare people away.

I use the EVSE that came with the car on a 14-50 and I set the current to 32a. Never had a problem being fully charged by morning.

Very true in the US. Code in Canada unfortunately limits a Nema 14-50 to a 40 amp breaker which then limits the charge rate to 32 amps (80%). I'm doing a panel/service upgrade from 100 to 200 amps so I can run a 60 amp breaker to a HPWC. I can then get 34 miles/55 km per hour when I need it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Our ChargePoint Home EV charging station adds up to 25 miles of Range per Hour (RPH), charges at a max of 32A, and requires a 40A circuit. It’s a good alternative if you’re looking for more charging speed at home.
Posting "ads" on an open forum can be a double edged sword!

If you go with the outdoor-rated ChargePoint station at 32A and an 18' cable, it's $649, and you'd presumably have to use a J-1772 adapter with your Tesla. Home Order

Tesla's website has the Wall Connector at $550 with a 24' cable, and it can charge at the Model 3's full 48A if you install it on a 60A circuit breaker. With a Tesla vehicle, it's more convenient not having to use the J-1772 adapter, and the button on the Wall Connector will open your car's charge port (at least on the Model S/X, and I presume the 3). A downside is that the plug isn't compatible with non-Tesla EVs unless you buy a third party adapter. Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

While I greatly appreciate ChargePoint's network of EVSEs at commercial sites, I'm pretty sure I'll go with Tesla when I'm ready to add another EVSE at my home (we'll be charging three EVs including the Model 3).

Also, while it's great that the included UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) can enable fast home charging right from the get-go (with a suitable 240V outlet), I prefer keeping it in our vehicle all the time. Carrying it with us means that we can charge virtually anywhere if we need to. You never know what life may bring, and I don't want to risk forgetting the UMC when departing on trips.

Last edited:
Our ChargePoint Home EV charging station adds up to 25 miles of Range per Hour (RPH), charges at a max of 32A, and requires a 40A circuit. It’s a good alternative if you’re looking for more charging speed at home.
I can't think of any possible reason for a Tesla owner to use a 32A ChargePoint J1772 at home. Use a Tesla Wall Connector (HPWC) or the UMC in a 14-50 outlet.