Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 home page finally updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why give current owners priority if the 3 is such a POS compared to the Model S according the Tesla? Are they really going to buy one?

Sure. I have 2 on order - one with priority:

1) If it's better than my Leaf I'll get one.
2) It it's better than my almost 5-year old Model S, I'll pick up the other one.

But I'm not sure whether I can answer either question yet.

Sure. I have 2 on order - one with priority:

1) If it's better than my Leaf I'll get one.
2) It it's better than my almost 5-year old Model S, I'll pick up the other one.

But I'm not sure whether I can answer either question yet.
Seems the base car is much more premium than the Leaf I sat in recently. But then, you could buy other cars that might force a Leaf out of the fleet? An Ioniq EV is a good car, Bolt not (at all) too shabby, both at lower cost?

The long range car gets much more range than your S85. I'm a bit shocked at that actually, 310 vs 265 miles? For what's likely a ~75kWh. Of course the S was never more than 81kWh.

Them not putting a nominal capacity figure on it anymore may be to stick fewer cells in the D models if those end up getting a better economy rating, keeping range at 310 miles. Or maybe the capacity figures just camee out awkward?

The delivery estimator is using some random RN that it says was placed on March 31, 2016, but it's not MY RN. The one on their estimator says "Late 2018" on all 3 options. That must just be referring to new reservations, in which case, how is that an estimator at all? I want to see it specific to my order date.
I was expecting the same (but again they would have to know my RN and my expected configuration, then it could it do so but does not as you described).
I also found that the website outside the U.S. in my browser does not have those same estimators (also not seen in incognito/hidden modes as it appears to think I am in Canada and redirects to a page without them).

The long range car gets much more range than your S85. I'm a bit shocked at that actually, 310 vs 265 miles? For what's likely a ~75kWh. Of course the S was never more than 81kWh.

Just speaking for myself here - other people will have other requirements:

310 isn't specifically useful - at least where I live. With my Model S range of 260 I can go from one Supercharger to the next one - I can't skip one. With a range of 310 I can go from one Supercharger to the next one - still can't skip one.

I wouldn't even get the long range Model 3 - the 220 is fine. I haven't charged my Model S at home to over 170 in 2 years - there are Superchargers within 100 miles in all directions so it's not needed - even for a "on the fly" trip.

So the question of upgrade is more based on whether there are enough luxury features in a new Model 3 to compete with a 5-year old Model S. And that I can't say.

310 isn't specifically useful - at least where I live. With my Model S range of 260 I can go from one Supercharger to the next one - I can't skip one. With a range of 310 I can go from one Supercharger to the next one - still can't skip one.

I wouldn't even get the long range Model 3 - the 220 is fine. I haven't charged my Model S at home to over 170 in 2 years - there are Superchargers within 100 miles in all directions so it's not needed - even for a "on the fly" trip.

So the question of upgrade is more based on whether there are enough luxury features in a new Model 3 to compete with a 5-year old Model S. And that I can't say.

Oh, I don't know. With the rate of Supercharger expansion and new locations, I can pass two or three here in California before I need to recharge, and mine is an S85D. I do admit to using Range Mode and can make it easily in the bay area, but I understand that outside of that up north the distances are a little further between each, and I too found myself needing to stop at each, although for no more than between 10-25 minutes at most to continue. Keeping the battery between 20-80 percent guaranteed a quicker recharging rate at the next supercharger and makes the time fly by pretty quickly.

Yes it’s using the random reservation number but the disappointing thing to me in the FAQs is that right hand drive markets will get deliveries in 2019 :( Later than we were thinking which was indicated at Sept 2018.

Even the dual motors aren't out til Spring 2018, so we will wait a little longer. I am sure it will be worth it though, get what you want, not what you are content to settle for. You will not regret it, my Model S is awesome!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
It lists the first production option for $49k. I'm assuming that includes the premium package which costs $5k?

Not going to lie, I have no issues with Tesla trying to make a profit but some of the option prices are steep. I understand why the bigger battery is $9k. It's a 40% increase in range. However, I'm pretty shocked that they didn't decrease the price for autopilot and fully autonomous driving. If they are trying to get fully autonomous driving adopted everywhere, then they shouldn't charge their biggest user base $8k for both options.

That aside, I think the premium package is well worth it. Glass roof, better sound system, heated seats, power mirrors and seats, wood trim, usb ports in the back, and a few other things all for $5k ain't bad.

It lists the first production option for $49k. I'm assuming that includes the premium package which costs $5k?

Not going to lie, I have no issues with Tesla trying to make a profit but some of the option prices are steep. I understand why the bigger battery is $9k. It's a 40% increase in range. However, I'm pretty shocked that they didn't decrease the price for autopilot and fully autonomous driving. If they are trying to get fully autonomous driving adopted everywhere, then they shouldn't charge their biggest user base $8k for both options.

That aside, I think the premium package is well worth it. Glass roof, better sound system, heated seats, power mirrors and seats, wood trim, usb ports in the back, and a few other things all for $5k ain't bad.

I might consider ripping out the cameras and the fancy Nvidia thing to sell them to pay for power seats.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: deonb

But you could possibly stay at them for less time.

Especially since I think it charges much faster for the first 1/2, then the second. You could save maybe 20-30 minutes each stop.

Of course it all depends on where you live, but if you're comparing 220 miles to 310 miles, then you're talking less stops, and a lot less time.