Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 horn sensitivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this may sound nitpicky but I think it's a legitimate safety issue.

I discovered earlier today, at a very inopportune time that the horn on my model 3 does not respond to a light tap, like every other vehicle I've ever had. I think most of us use light taps on the horn to warn fellow drivers that are approaching a dangerous situation but are not yet at a point where an angry forceful horn press is necessary.

My horn requires a firm, assertive press to register, past the initial tactile stop after depression. Is this normal for a model 3 or is this something I should have addressed?

Reactions: fiatlux
So this may sound nitpicky but I think it's a legitimate safety issue.

I discovered earlier today, at a very inopportune time that the horn on my model 3 does not respond to a light tap, like every other vehicle I've ever had. I think most of us use light taps on the horn to warn fellow drivers that are approaching a dangerous situation but are not yet at a point where an angry forceful horn press is necessary.

My horn requires a firm, assertive press to register, past the initial tactile stop after depression. Is this normal for a model 3 or is this something I should have addressed?

It's not nit picky at all. I agree with you that it is difficult to honk the horn except with a forceful press. I also found that you need to push only on the sides in order for it to work. I wish you could press anywhere around the center of the wheel. Fortunately, I am usually using the horn only when stationary to alert a driver in front of me to move. So, I am not sure when a heavy press might be a safety issue. Perhaps, it would be, if you were to rely on it to alert a pedestrian who was about to step out in front of your car's path,. However, in that situation, I would brake before honking, for fear that the pedestrian might not be able hear or act soon enough.

As an aside, I so seldom use my horn, I didn't realize, for some time, that one of the two horns that give the full dual sound, had failed and needed to be replaced. When the SC did, I complained about the effort needed to sound the horn. They said that was normal.

Last edited:
I don't use my horn all that much, but noticed this just yesterday. I was at a traffic light that had changed. After several seconds it was clear that he/she/they were distracted and needed a little reminder. I was forced to choose between silence or rudeness. A polite tap would be a nice option.

Reactions: fiatlux
Maybe you weren't hitting it in the optimal locations. Go play with it and see where are the better and worse spots to hit it.

I've driven many cars and my Model 3 fits somewhere in the middle for horn pressure.

And the horn switch is an on or off thing. It doesn't respond differently to light or heavy pushes, only to shorter or longer ones. So a "Hey, don't forget I'm here" is just a very short push.

I too have noticed the lack of polite tap option. What I have found through experimentation, is that if I direct the tapping pressure to an upward (towards the windshield) direction rather than downward (towards the floor), it takes less pressure and offers more "control" as required for polite horn honk. Also noticed that the right side required more pressure than the left (or vica versa, I forget). Mobile technician said that they are able to adjust "left/right" equal pressure issue, but I would have to mention before next visit so that he has the right parts.

Anyway, for now, the upwards angle works well for me as a workaround.

Lol. Made me think of this.
My ELR had a SUPER NICE Pedestrian Safety Signal . Pull the turn signal stalk and it gave 3 low volume/short duration horn "chirps" and flashes the headlights. Wish Tesla had this and miss it. SUPER handy for the phone looks when the light turns green.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 4.41.02 PM.png

Reactions: Danny Brown
I think some M3s are missing the horn switch on the left side - so only hitting the center or right side triggers the horn. Not sure if this is an error or by design.
You just have to tap harder.
I tried to put into service for this issue. And they said it's normal as you should "press" the T logo to operate the horn.
And in order to operate the horn on the left, you need to put much more pressure.
Service center said it's normal, and they said it's just different pressure sensitivity.
(And of coz they didn't perform any repair)
Oh tesla is so "special".