Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 hub caps stolen *ugh*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stumbled on this thread after all 4 of my covers were stolen last week. Glad to hear that the OP probably wasn't a theft victim, but I just wanted to post so that people know that they do in fact get stolen on occasion.

The guy in the part department at the local service center who sold me the replacements ($100+tax for a set of 4 for the "old" covers) said that while it doesn't happen a lot, someone like me does come in every once in a while looking for replacements. And I'm guessing another chunk of people just decide to go without the covers after theirs are stolen.

Side note... and I would have laughed at this suggestion just a week ago, but now I'm considering using a tie strap to secure the covers to the rims to deter any future theft attempt. I found a way to do it in which the tie strap is pretty well hidden visually, and posted about it in this thread: Cable tying aero wheel covers
New York all over again. I know people in NY who get a new car. Would steal someone else’s hub caps first in anticipation of theirs being stolen.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
My aero wheel covers were stolen all four at once in 2019, and again last week, March 2024. I am very aware of them because of the first theft. Replacement ones from Tesla now cost $25 each. Please do not buy them used. The only market for this item is owners of this car. If you buy used ones or ones not from Tesla, you are keeping the thieves prosperous, in my view.

My aero wheel covers were stolen all four at once in 2019, and again last week, March 2024. I am very aware of them because of the first theft. Replacement ones from Tesla now cost $25 each. Please do not buy them used. The only market for this item is owners of this car. If you buy used ones or ones not from Tesla, you are keeping the thieves prosperous, in my view.
That's certainly a possibility, but many of us don't like the look of the aeros, and take them off Day 1. I did. Rather than have them clutter up the garage, lots of people just sell them to get rid of them.

There are good-looking black alloys under those plastic covers, and it irks me that the aeros scratched them up.

There are good-looking black alloys under those plastic covers, and it irks me that the aeros scratched them up.
My M3 is from 2020. What is underneath the aero wheel covers looks to me like grayish enamel. It is certainly not black, and is not exposed metal. Still, my point is that victims of theft are the only market for (the only ones with a reason to buy) the wheel covers. If those buyers only buy replacements from Tesla, the sellers of stolen ones will not find buyers. The wheel covers only fit the 18 inch wheels that are standard for the Model 3.