Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a great aftermarket opportunity....only how to do without OBDII ???
The new OVMS module (v3) can drive a HUD, but it needs some sort of CAN interface to the car to get live data from. I know the Model 3 doesn't have an OBDII port, but neither does the Roadster (*). We just use the diagnostics connector under the dash, and have reverse-engineered the relevant CAN messages that go flying by (they're non-standard, of course).

The Model 3 must have something similar. Anybody?

(*) Ok, so technically there is an OBDII connector on the Roadster. They were required by law (at the time) to have one, so they stuck one in. Just the connector. But nothing live on it that is of any use.

The new OVMS module (v3) can drive a HUD, but it needs some sort of CAN interface to the car to get live data from. I know the Model 3 doesn't have an OBDII port, but neither does the Roadster (*). We just use the diagnostics connector under the dash, and have reverse-engineered the relevant CAN messages that go flying by (they're non-standard, of course).

The Model 3 must have something similar. Anybody?

(*) Ok, so technically there is an OBDII connector on the Roadster. They were required by law (at the time) to have one, so they stuck one in. Just the connector. But nothing live on it that is of any use.
Apparently there is something of an access point to the CAN bus hidden on the passenger footwell side of the console. I saw on reddit someone was able to read at least brake pedal positioning and some other data off it, because some of the is formatted the same as the Model S. But not all of it is. I don't know the details or how far hackers have gotten on that.

It's really not needed. You won't understand just how easy it is to see the speed until you drive one. I actually find it much easier to see the speed on the middle screen than when it's behind the wheel because I drive with my hand on top of the wheel a lot which blocks a more traditional placement of the speed. Hud isn't needed.

While I admire your very gangster style of driving, the point of a HUD, at least to me isn't so much the displayed speed, but rather navigation information. I somewhat recently had a BMW loaner with a HUD and especially in a foreign city it's a big benefit to keep the eyes on the road, while also being able to see wehre to turn right, or left.

The car also had speed sign recognition and some cool feature that told you to get off the gas, to perfectly coast down, if you are approaching section of the road with a lower speed limit. More of a gimmick, but a rather cool one for driving efficiently.

My point is, there is a ton of information you can put on a HUD and especially with AP I could think of even more things the car could show on there. So while it isn't needed, I think many would appreciate it, especially on a technically otherwise very advanced car.

...at the price segment its in it needs to have certain luxuries to keep up with the competition. Leave it up to the driver's whether they want to switch the HUD on or off, choice is good for all.
How many of the model 3's competitors in the price range have a HUD?
The only comparable car I see it on it is the Jaguar XE where it is $1,010 option.

The only comparable car I see it on it is the Jaguar XE where it is $1,010 option.

There is a HUD in the Hyundai Kona EV (
about 40k Euro overhere estimates are now ), is 64kWh battery
Hyundai KONA Electric: De elektrische compacte SUV | Hyundai
Tomorrow I am going to have a look at our Nissan Leaf dealer ( also Hyundai ). Offical NL presentation March 28th.... So that's quite comparable to M3 35k Usd plus options like Long Range etc etc...
upload_2018-3-26_15-17-23.png

BMW 3 series have HUDs....so do does the Audi A4. Not in price range but have HUDs: Prius Prime, Camry. FYI, no HUD on the Bolt, Leaf nor Clarity.

Your eyes will be in-line with the road...but you'll probably be distracted from the road/surroundings while looking at HUD info. I do hope it will be available on the Mod 3 and drivers will have the option you use it.

• Informative
Reactions: R.S and MusQueTear
While waiting for the Model 3 Hud... temporarily a smartphone :(

View attachment 288501

Tesla will NEVER offer a HUD for a Model 3.

That being said, the bottom middle pic is an example of a really bad HUD in my opinion. I would HATE driving with that. There is just too much going on. I would find it very distracting. The bottom right pic is a decent HUD. Less clutter, just speed and AP icon. Good!

Your pics do illustrate in my mind that a HUD can easily be great or horrible if it is poorly designed.

Tesla will NEVER offer a HUD for a Model 3.

That being said, the bottom middle pic is an example of a really bad HUD in my opinion. I would HATE driving with that. There is just too much going on. I would find it very distracting. The bottom right pic is a decent HUD. Less clutter, just speed and AP icon. Good!

Your pics do illustrate in my mind that a HUD can easily be great or horrible if it is poorly designed.
Hi, thx for your response. Actually I learned a lot of all the responses sofar and a M3 HUD as option but always being able to switch it off sounds good to me now. Also being able to configure it yourself makes sense I think. For example limiting it to navigation. See above some real-world user experiences. .....first priority is to drive the M3 myself..! :D

Reactions: diplomat33
Has anyone found an aftermarket HUD they like with the model 3? Looks like there are a ton of cheap options where you just have a holder for your phone on the dash that reflects your phones screen. Looks like garmin has an offering. The hudway cast looks promising. Anyone tried any of these? People found they just don't need/want it?