Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed the HW 3 FSD computer upgrade at Cherry Hill, NJ.

The good (there’s no bad):

1. I was surprised (and happy) it took only 2 hours.
2. Service was awesome. No issues whatsoever. Communication was perfect and was able to track entire process through text messages and the app.
3. Woohoo....cones.
4. Only had to re-pair iPhone and Bluetooth. All other settings were maintained which was perfect.
5. Forgot to add, since today was trash day, garbage pails.

Looking forward to upcoming FW updates which will integrate HW3.

Just completed the HW 3 FSD computer upgrade at Cherry Hill, NJ.

The good (there’s no bad):

1. I was surprised (and happy) it took only 2 hours.
2. Service was awesome. No issues whatsoever. Communication was perfect and was able to track entire process through text messages and the app.
3. Woohoo....cones.
4. Only had to re-pair iPhone and Bluetooth. All other settings were maintained which was perfect.
5. Forgot to add, since today was trash day, garbage pails.

Looking forward to upcoming FW updates which will integrate HW3.

Had my HW3 FSD Computer upgrade at the New Orleans service Center this morning.
Took about 2 hours and I could not be happier or more impressed with how smoothly it went.
Hats off to Robert, Kevin and Sergio, who made my first trip to a Tesla service center a very pleasant experience.

Picked up my car from the Springfield NJ service center this morning. HW3 retrofit appears successful; no Autopilot calibration needed.

That said, the only car setting preserved at all were my keycards. Everything else has been wiped out. Not the end of the world, but I’m going to have to play a lot of Beach Buggy to unlock those tracks again!

I scheduled mine in the bay area (santa clara) SC for first week of March and they moved it to May saying they won't have parts until then. I am at 48K miles - so I was hoping to take it before I hit 50K miles warranty stop just in case they find something else to repair/replace under warranty.

I scheduled mine in the bay area (santa clara) SC for first week of March and they moved it to May saying they won't have parts until then. I am at 48K miles - so I was hoping to take it before I hit 50K miles warranty stop just in case they find something else to repair/replace under warranty.

I set up my appointment for Palo Alto SC using the phone app around two weeks ago and it scheduled me for March 18th. They took a couple of days to retrofit and return the car today. Perhaps you can try scheduling yours at Palo Alto?

I am jealous in seeing other members posting their success story in having their HW3 retrofit done. I tried a few times to request the HW3 retrofit for my 2018 Model 3 (delivered in July of 2018) out here in Long Island with no success.

Response from SC from Syosset
Hi sir,

We currently are out of stock of the parts as they are on backorder. Please reach out again in a few weeks and we can update you. Thank you!

I am jealous in seeing other members posting their success story in having their HW3 retrofit done. I tried a few times to request the HW3 retrofit for my 2018 Model 3 (delivered in July of 2018) out here in Long Island with no success.

Response from SC from Syosset
Hi sir,

We currently are out of stock of the parts as they are on backorder. Please reach out again in a few weeks and we can update you. Thank you!

That's unfortunate. The worst part is that they are asking you to reach back out to them. A proper "service" center would have allocation of parts per VIN and proactively reach out to owners once their part is available. SMH, Tesla.

Reactions: C141medic
Just had mine retrofitted. Strangely, they seemed to have put my car in China config (Perhaps(?) - Navigation Data version had a CN- prefix). I had the international red circle icon for the max speed limit on the screen, which was interesting.

Remote diagnostics pushed the NA config back to my car this morning, but now there is an unspecified hardware issue that requires me to take the car back in for service. At least I got to see a couple of traffic cones in the interim!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-25 032905.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-25 032905.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST
My upgrade went fine, only annoying part is that the SW was reverted to version 2020.4.1, which seems common with some folks that went through this.. hopefully will get update soon..
I am just happy I was able to get the update as I was afraid they were going to stop due to Covid 19...

I attempted an appointment for An FSD upgrade for April 13th. Tesla notified me the parts were on backorder and to try again in a month. Also due to the current crisis, they were only doing safety related work at the service center.

I will try again at the end of April.

Just had mine done in Vancouver and it sucked, lost everything and the didn’t fix two other problems with the car. The did not respect social distancing at all. Complete waste of my time and would not have brought it in had I known how it would be.

I got mine done on 3/16, without any issues. I dropped the car off at 0800, got a loaner (as I had places to be that day more than 50 miles away) and by 1130 they texted me that it was done. I went back that afternoon and picked it up. All settings remained except I had to re-do the Bluetooth connection for my phone (phone key still worked) and when I got home had to re-setup the home wifi connection. Otherwise, it was PERFECT.