Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@PhysicsGuy Okay, here's more doom-and-gloom stuff that may happen with the HW3 upgrade than what I first indicated:
  • The tech screws up something awful and bricks your car
  • During installation (or maybe sometime after) the cooling hose the new computer taps into leaks fluid
  • Personal info stored in the old HW2.5 system somehow gets onto the darkweb and you get hacked
  • Camera recalibration does not successfully complete and you can't access EAP or FSD functions (and maybe TeslaCam doesn't work either)
  • A nagging rattle develops under the dashboard
The possibility that any of this will happen to you? I'd say extremely remote. But I equate the HW3 upgrade to what you might encounter/expect when replacing your old, slow CPU in your computer or laptop with a version that's newer and faster. Also, when taking something complex apart, there's always a chance that Murphy's Law will be invoked.

Here's another approach:
from this forum post:

FYI, when they did my HW3 update it was seamless/flawless. I didn't lose settings and nothing went wrong from the upgrade.

The new visualizations are nice, and looking forward to vastly improved city FSD behavior soon.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy