Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just made a service appt via the app for HW3 upgrade. Initially scheduled for mobile service, then once they reviewed it they changed it to Tyson’s VA. They sent me estimate ($0) to approve. VIN is 114xxx.

So looks like they’re ramping this up now and scheduling it if you ask. (They did not reach out to me.)

From the responses in this thread, it seems like most retrofits happening right now are from 2018Q3 production (mostly build date August 2018 and September 2018) which includes VINs up to about 120,xxx. This makes sense looking back at the Model 3 ramp up:

2017Q4: 2k deliveries
2018Q1: 8k deliveries
2018Q2: 18k deliveries
2018Q3: 56k deliveries
2018Q4: 63k deliveries
2019Q1: 51k deliveries (initial overseas deliveries)
2019Q2: 78k deliveries (most Model 3 since April have FSD computer)
2019Q3: 56k deliveries

If 2018Q3 is indeed the current Model 3 batch cut-off for FSD retrofit, the earlier VIN Model 3s before that quarter only make up roughly 30% of vehicles getting retrofits today. It would seem likely the next batch will be the remainder of Model 3s in North America needing retrofit then finally overseas Model 3s needing retrofit.

I go in tomorrow for mine. I have a Q3 2018 build. They didn't contact me, I just opened a service request in the app asking if I could get it, and 30 minutes later it was all confirmed (as well as the charge port dead pin fix which I didn't mention)

Reactions: C141medic
I got the HW3 upgrade done back on January 28th, I drive 60 miles each way to and from work, and the nagging to grab the steering wheel is completely GONE. NO nag at all, I actually timed how long I could go without touching the wheel or anything on it, including the screen and it was 36 minutes.... The only reason I had to use the wheel was to get out of the carpool lane and get off the freeway. It is GREAT!!
VIN 19xxx

I got the HW3 upgrade done back on January 28th, I drive 60 miles each way to and from work, and the nagging to grab the steering wheel is completely GONE. NO nag at all, I actually timed how long I could go without touching the wheel or anything on it, including the screen and it was 36 minutes.... The only reason I had to use the wheel was to get out of the carpool lane and get off the freeway. It is GREAT!!
VIN 19xxx
Wow, that hasn’t been my experience at all, but I’m happy for you! The variance is a little troubling, though.

My VIN is in 15k range(Early May 2018), and two of my appointment requests for HW3 upgrade are cancelled saying Hardware is not received for my car. This is in Seattle Area. Not sure if anyone from Seattle area got this upgrade done.
A couple of people have had their retrofit already (Renton and Bellevue. Not sure about Lynnwood yet). One VIN that was posted was 38xxx, and another was 51xxx. Others with much lower VINs have been told "not yet".

A couple of people have had their retrofit already (Renton and Bellevue. Not sure about Lynnwood yet). One VIN that was posted was 38xxx, and another was 51xxx. Others with much lower VINs have been told "not yet".

Thanks for info. I am not getting the logic/formula of who is getting this early. Obviously its not VIN number based. May be all these are Performance versions? Performance was released later, and had higher VINs.

May be that's why many with Lower VIN did not receive in Seattle Area as too many performance versions in this area, so they have to finish those before they prioritize other models.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
This thread needs a xanax!!!

thank goodness they started retrofit before they introduced materially new features that require it!!

don’t bother trying to figure out sequence. Were cars completed in VIN sequence? No. Shipped in VIN sequence? No. Delivered in VIN sequence? No. Did everybody buy with FSD? No. Many were incentivized to buy months after delivery when price was temporarily reduced. Me included.

so probably best to just relax and check in at your SC every now and then to see if they are ready for you.

I just had mobile service out yesterday to fix some loose trim and asked him about the update. He looked up my VIN and said mine was not eligible yet 34xxx. I wonder if the older VINs have some difference in the upgrade process or require some updated part that they are not ready for yet?

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
Just requested HW3, in addition to the 2 year service items (brakes, cabin air filter) via the mobile app here in Boston. It scheduled mobile service, and an hour later I got a text saying my car is eligible but both the HW3 and brake service have to be done in the service center. I scheduled the service for early April (car was delivered in April).

This thread needs a xanax!!!

thank goodness they started retrofit before they introduced materially new features that require it!!

don’t bother trying to figure out sequence. Were cars completed in VIN sequence? No. Shipped in VIN sequence? No. Delivered in VIN sequence? No. Did everybody buy with FSD? No. Many were incentivized to buy months after delivery when price was temporarily reduced. Me included.

so probably best to just relax and check in at your SC every now and then to see if they are ready for you.

I was about to respond.. then I saw your title.."Only partially psycho" ....:D

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
Just requested HW3, in addition to the 2 year service items (brakes, cabin air filter) via the mobile app here in Boston. It scheduled mobile service, and an hour later I got a text saying my car is eligible but both the HW3 and brake service have to be done in the service center. I scheduled the service for early April (car was delivered in April).
I did the exact same thing in Boston and have an appointment for my 2 year service in late March. No confirmation either way whether HW3 will be included.