Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine done at the Torrance SC today. Dropped it off at 7:30 am and it was done by 1:00 pm. Everything went smoothly with the SC and I kept most of my settings but lost Bluetooth and WiFi. According to my router at home it’s a new WiFi module in the car which was a surprise.

All of the visualizations are quite incredible and I’m looking forward to future updates to see what it can do.

I'm picking up my car tomorrow. Hoping my settings are kept... I specifically asked them to 'keep my settings!'

Wondering if HW3 has any impact on range? It's supposed to be more efficient than HW2.5 - has anyone noticed stated range or efficiency increase? Wondering if this is one of the factors that 2019s and 2020s are getting more range?

Out of curiosity, any change to the AP nag time? Seems someone on reddit said the time between nags is greatly extended with HW3.

For me, AP nag is a little less frequent, but it's not very noticeable yet, because I'm driving in congested traffic on city streets. Because of my schedule, it's hard to get on a freeway that isn't bumper to bumper. I'll know in a few days. On HW 2.5, nag time seemed to be related to the amount of nearby cars and merging activity. I'm looking for an improvement. I changed lanes from the left to middle on a 3 lane road yesterday, and checked the mirror. Lane was open. I start to change lanes and someone from the right lane also changed to the center. AP was off, but wonder how it would have handled it.

I don't understand why they make an appointment for a specific time, then when you drop it off they can't get to it for days. I understand they're busy, so don't show that as an open appointment time.

I asked this at the SC near me and they told me the appointment time was for the drop off time only and not for the actual service. I must have had a blank look of disbelief in what I had heard, because the service advisor asked me if I was okay.....

• Funny
Reactions: doug
I asked this at the SC near me and they told me the appointment time was for the drop off time only and not for the actual service. I must have had a blank look of disbelief in what I had heard, because the service advisor asked me if I was okay.....

I think you are actually booking a time slot to chat with the SC agent. I figured this as I turned up 30 mins too early and my guy was out to lunch... Also saying he wasn't expecting me until 12:30 vs. 12:00... Maybe it's to ensure they manage the agent's time slots and you get enough time for a consultation. Also my actual service work was completed around 10pm on a Friday, well earlier than predicted, and way later than the agent stays at the SC.

Made an appointment via app for FSD computer upgrade. I was expecting them to cancel my appointment however got notification that my appointment is rescheduled to a SC instead of mobile service.

VIN 160XXX,
SC : Dallas Cedar Park. 2/27

Does anyone know what the next step is? Do they email an invoice for the work?

I think you are actually booking a time slot to chat with the SC agent. I figured this as I turned up 30 mins too early and my guy was out to lunch... Also saying he wasn't expecting me until 12:30 vs. 12:00... Maybe it's to ensure they manage the agent's time slots and you get enough time for a consultation. Also my actual service work was completed around 10pm on a Friday, well earlier than predicted, and way later than the agent stays at the SC.
That’s a bit ridiculous imo. What’s to chat about, in regards to this upgrade? It’s a very specific scope of work that is not a repair. I have my appointment for 3 on 2/25 and our x on 2/26. So I’m not leaving my X there if my 3 is not done yet. I’ll be screwed. :O.

MA has 2 service centers - Dedham and Watertown. I went to Watertown to get my winter tires installed.

I'm conflicted. It seems wrong to set up an appointment for the upgrade when they have not contacted us yet. It seems like it is just creating more work that will bog down the SCs, likely struggling with things that actually need to get fixed whereas the HW3 upgrades don't really add any functionality just yet.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
MA has 2 service centers - Dedham and Watertown. I went to Watertown to get my winter tires installed.

I'm conflicted. It seems wrong to set up an appointment for the upgrade when they have not contacted us yet. It seems like it is just creating more work that will bog down the SCs, likely struggling with things that actually need to get fixed whereas the HW3 upgrades don't really add any functionality just yet.

If they can't handle the workload, they can just deny the appointment and tell you it's not ready yet. As tons of people are apparently scheduling theirs now and Tesla is taking all comers, I wouldn't feel bad. If you wait for them to contact you, it'll be a long wait. I don't think we've heard of them proactively contacting anyone. And if there were any rhyme or reason to this (prioritizing early purchasers), then Tesla should be reaching out to those purchasers now before accepting appoints requested by later purchasers.

Reactions: C141medic