Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped off at 8AM on Thursday, being told they wont even call me with status until Friday Afternoon and likely not ready until Saturday AM. Didn't get a loaner either, so not the best timing/what i was expecting.

Pro-tip: Don't schedule close to the weekend like me!

Taking a bit of a leap here with VIN 323XXX (just missing the cut off for HW3 at delivery last year), but hearing of so many getting the installs now is encouraging. I haven't gotten a yes or no from service since making the appointment Monday (San Diego, Miramar). Fingers crossed.

How long did it take?

They wouldn't give me a loaner this AM (even at 8) and just told me the car won't be ready until Saturday PM which kinda sucks since I wanted to do stuff this weekend.

Seems weird that they can foresee firmware issues before they even happen when others have ~4 hour turnaround.
maybe 4 hours. but I also go them to replace my horn and look into a firmware issue with my front autopilot camera defrosters

I was extremely lucky here in Vancouver, British Columbia. I went there yesterday for a slight cap expansion noise coming out of the vents when I start my car and the heat is working. They added FSD upgrade automatically. It didn't finish in few hours as they originally promised - I can see they were working until 6pm. However they arranged a rental car (X3) and today afternoon I picked up once all the upgrades are completed. Great service!

- Now I see cones - a lot of them.
- Garage openers, spotify and all my preference was just the same as it was before.
- Calibration is in progress.

Now just waiting for the latest software :)

i find a lot of people do this

Yup. It's super bizarre. Someone will post a string of flat out incorrect info or something nuts (like suggesting people defeat the hand detection for AP) and you disagree because it's an objectively bad post or set of posts, and they get upset and go through your recent post list disagreeing with everything (regardless of what it is). It's really kind of a dumb functionality. That said, I find it funny that the type of people who post those types of things are the same type who will do the weird thumbs down stalking.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
Got my car back from Renton, WA. Dropped off Wednesday morning, ready for pick up Friday morning.

They managed to put a spring back in wrong causing the glovebox to creak and squeak when closing. However they also managed to deeply scuff the front of the glovebox. Luckily I read this thread before and checked it before I left. They ended up replacing the whole glovebox for free in about 15m at pickup.

Didn’t lose any settings at all. Calibration took about 5min of highway driving. Software is latest (2020.4.1). The satellite map visualisation wouldn’t work until I rebooted the computer though weirdly. Backup camera seems clearer.

cones and stuff woo.

Just got my Jan 2019 build back from the upgrade. Painless, no settings lost. As some others have reported, the rear camera is quite a bit darker (tint seems different too). Also found a very small puddle of oily liquid on passenger side floor mat, which I'm assuming is coolant. Felt up under the glovebox and don't believe it's leaking, so hoping it was just a small spill from when the hardware was being installed.

My Navigate on Autopilot has really gone to hell. Used to be able to use it reliably on commute to work in heavy 5 lane interstate traffic at speed, but now it's worst than worthless - it's downright scary! Is this because I have HW 2.5 and not HW 3? Should I stop using FSD features (including NoA) until I get the HW3 upgrade?
I agree with your assessment on 2.5. On 3 It's been a lot smoother (shallower lane changes, less jerking, better at curves).

Yup. It's super bizarre. Someone will post a string of flat out incorrect info or something nuts (like suggesting people defeat the hand detection for AP) and you disagree because it's an objectively bad post or set of posts, and they get upset and go through your recent post list disagreeing with everything (regardless of what it is). It's really kind of a dumb functionality. That said, I find it funny that the type of people who post those types of things are the same type who will do the weird thumbs down stalking.
Yeah, unfortunately that is my observation too.
Disagree/agree should be applicable to just that post.