Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who use TeslaFi, be sure to update your AP hardware page under Settings -> Autopilot Hardware.
Looks like there will be a report soon on when cars were upgraded with some details such as date, how the appointment was setup, and other free-form notes.

27FCE35C-7F62-4515-A6AB-68BF9DBE90E3.jpeg

Reactions: RB88 and jsrawa
How long are you guys seeing between making the appointment and getting a "real" reply from the SC either way?

(I don't mean the automated text and email you get the same day- I mean the actual "Yes, we're seriously going to do some work here's an invoice" or "Nope, no work for you!" notice)

I scheduled the appointment last night. I guess I will wait for SC to contact me.

Huh- I would say answers ranging from "the very next day" to "not till the very last minute" is a surprising amount of variance- but given it's Tesla I suppose not :)

I put in my request Wednesday (for an appointment about a week out- guess our SC isn't that busy?), got automatic email about it, and automated text, but nothing further yet.

Was originally gonna wait longer as they've busted through several revisions of HW3 and later's usually better, but with Elon claiming there's actually real FSD features finally coming by end of month figured I'd try and get it done, even though new features almost routinely suck for a while.

Huh- I would say answers ranging from "the very next day" to "not till the very last minute" is a surprising amount of variance- but given it's Tesla I suppose not :)

I put in my request Wednesday (for an appointment about a week out- guess our SC isn't that busy?), got automatic email about it, and automated text, but nothing further yet.

Was originally gonna wait longer as they've busted through several revisions of HW3 and later's usually better, but with Elon claiming there's actually real FSD features finally coming by end of month figured I'd try and get it done, even though new features almost routinely suck for a while.
I would email them and make sure they ordered it. Mine didnt come in time for my appt and they pushed me out three weeks which makes me think they never ordered it when i made the appt a few weeks earlier.

How long are you guys seeing between making the appointment and getting a "real" reply from the SC either way?

(I don't mean the automated text and email you get the same day- I mean the actual "Yes, we're seriously going to do some work here's an invoice" or "Nope, no work for you!" notice)
I got the automated messages saying they were reviewing my request, and then got my estimate within 4 hours of scheduling the appt.

I now have an approved estimate for the work, and a confirmed scheduled date and time. All within 5 hours.

I had the same thought process. I was going to wait but if features are actually coming I’d like to get them instead of waiting. Plus some of the news about the Chinese M3s being manufactured with 2.5 makes me think there may be a bottleneck coming up so I’ll lock it in now. I dropped mine off this AM, I was initially offered Uber credits but I live an hour from the SC so they gave me a loaner 2014 MS P85. It’s nice but I actually prefer my 3. They said it can be done in four hours or a day depending on if the firmware takes and they are backed up so I don’t think I will see it until Monday.

I gave my M3 with 15K range VIN for FSD upgrade along with Charge Port error keep popping up on the screen about touch not working.

My Experience at Lynnwood Service Center:
This is first time I went to this Lynnwood Service center. I tried to reach them to drop off previous night as I did not want to take off during the work time. But no one answered, so took it in as per scheduled time. The setup is entirely different, its more like workshop with parts behind the desks and also interaction with Service Adviser is not that great.(Bellevue has been good). Dropped at 9:30AM, I was told will complete in 3 hours, should be ready by 2PM. But no one called or no message about car until 5:00PM, but when I check the App, it says Car will be ready next day for pickup? I called in, was able to talk to a person who claimed the HV Contactor check(TSB) took longer than expected and will ready by tomorrow and my Uber coupon would work for tomorrow to come in.

But at 6:30PM I get a message saying is car is ready to pickup between 8AM-6PM and invoice has been sent and app now says car is ready for pick up. I immediately sent message asking if I can come in. No response, no invoice has been sent to email address.

So, I called in this morning before going in and was confirmed all work has been completed and ready for pickup. I told him I have not received invoice, he finally sent one. Also Uber coupon claimed to be working, not working. So I had to ask me send one more. I went in and picked up the car fairly quickly and this adviser seems nicer, seems more sincere. I got in, and the Error triangle on the Screen still there about Charge port.

I went back in and showed him the error. Not sure what they did with the charge port, I was expecting atleast they clear that error as I shared screen shot of the triangle and error message. Though in the invoice it says they did replace some position sensor, I get a feeling they did not bother to do anything. If they did, I would assume they would at least they would check the screen clear the error.

What now?, its already 2nd day for 3 hour work, now they say I had to leave car until Monday evening. (So it went from 3 hours to Thurs, Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon, so 5 days). I can't believe this. I asked him if they are working on Saturdays. He said yes, when I insisted its too long, he said he will try to get it done by Saturday at least. I have my doubts as he did not sound confident. He said they will replace whole charge port this time as they have parts for it already.

Now, I am hoping I would be lucky if I get it on Saturday.

So far, Communication is bad, didn't bother to see if fix they did working or not, neither they were able to take care of it when it is pointed it out. (Charge port replacement takes less than 30mins). Overall, I am disappointed with this SC. May be next time I will go to Bellevue, not here.

Scheduled for the retrofit tomorrow and received a text confirmation and email invoice today! Interestingly the invoice says retrofit and rewire? I can’t seem to access the invoice now that I esigned it otherwise I would post a screenshot. Will report back after!
Mine said retrofit with no rewire. I wonder what the rewire is.

Mine said retrofit with no rewire. I wonder what the rewire is.
Mine also says retrofit with Electrical wiring. My guess is initial/Early builds needs that wiring. Also that may be the reason early build got this retrofit little later than newer builds.

This is what invoice says for my 15K VIN car.

Concern: Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit (Model 3)
Technician retrofit full self driving computer. Loaded latest firmware and MAPS. Performed coolant purge. Confirmed all
systems operating as intended.
Correction: Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring
Rework, Model 3
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-
R0-J)

Mine also says retrofit with Electrical wiring. My guess is initial/Early builds needs that wiring. Also that may be the reason early build got this retrofit little later than newer builds.

Technician retrofit full self driving computer. Loaded latest firmware and MAPS. Performed coolant purge. Confirmed all
Rework, Model 3
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
R0-J)
Interesting. My ~31k VIN invoice stated the following:

- Concern: Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit (Model 3)
- Installed FSD retrofit kit
- Correction: Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit Without Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3
- Parts Replaced or Added
- Part: TLA,CAR,COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-R0-J)

Rework, Model 3
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
R0-J)

I will report back when I get my final invoice but mine is a LeMR so I suspect you may be right that older builds need some additional work. They sent me a text tonight that they would need to keep it until Monday, maybe this is because it requires a little more labor? Hard to say.

Scratch another 2.5 off the list...

VIN 0199xx April 2018 build now has HW3.

From request to appointment was under 2 weeks, and HW3 install was completed in about 5 hours, so I was able to get the car back same day.

I'm scheduled for the HW3 upgrade this Wednesday, the 11th, but have yet to see an invoice or cancellation.

Is this normal? This is the first time I'm dealing with a SC. How late will they cancel if they are going to... Tuesday night?

Sorry for all the questions. As I stated, I've never been to a SC before. (Going to Devon, PA)

I'm scheduled for the HW3 upgrade this Wednesday, the 11th, but have yet to see an invoice or cancellation.

Is this normal? This is the first time I'm dealing with a SC. How late will they cancel if they are going to... Tuesday night?

Sorry for all the questions. As I stated, I've never been to a SC before. (Going to Devon, PA)
I got my HW3 upgrade Feb 20th.. still havent recieved the "invoice"

Dont worry about it. Not costing you anything anyways..

Finally picked up my M3 15k VIN with FSD upgrade. Camera Calibration is done very quickly, less than 5 miles (10mins) auto pilot was available. Haven't driven a lot yet, and did not observe any changes as of now yet.

I had to setup my Bluetooth and wifi connection. I thought those are on MCU Motherboard, I guess its not the case as MAC ID seems to have changed.

Finally picked up my M3 15k VIN with FSD upgrade. Camera Calibration is done very quickly, less than 5 miles (10mins) auto pilot was available. Haven't driven a lot yet, and did not observe any changes as of now yet.

I had to setup my Bluetooth and wifi connection. I thought those are on MCU Motherboard, I guess its not the case as MAC ID seems to have changed.

On model 3 both the driving computer and the MCU get swapped out since they're both inside the same physical assembly.