Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my upgrade today. Booked through app last week.

All settings other than wifi and BT phone for calls were surprisingly saved.
Also changed filters as another poster recommended. Total time was 2.5 hours.

Picked up my upgrade today from Brooklyn NY. Tried to make an appointment in early Feb via the app (selected “Other”) and was told my vehicle was not eligible yet and to try again in 3 weeks. Tried again 2 weeks ago and had no issues making the appointment.

The upgrade took 1.5 days (was told they had a lot of FSD upgrades that day). Software unfortunately was not upgraded to newest version. All settings retained accept autopilot, Bluetooth connections for phone/music, and I guess WiFi (haven’t had a chance to check). Worth noting, as others have said, they will remove any car seats to gain access under rear seats.

Had my HW3 upgrade completed today in Rochester, NY. Dropped off in morning, they gave me an Enterprise rental and picked up at the end of the day. Was surprised that they downgraded me from the x.8.1 to the x.4.1 sw. No biggie, I'm sure it will update again in the next day or two - I was just surprised that the SC wouldn't load the latest version. The employees at this location couldn't have been any nicer - really good to see.

I got a text yesterday at 5:30 PM saying my update was complete and my car was ready for pickup. The text also stated that the service dept closed at 6:00 pm. Since I live an hour away, I had to wait until this morning to pick it up.

So far, everything looks great. Turned on the Full Self Driving preview and I could then see stop lights and stop signs, along with cones, trash cans, etc. Autopilot performed well but I did have a couple of unintended braking episodes which I don't remember that happening previously. All my settings were retained and, as with everyone else, I had to reconnect my bluetooth and wifi when I pulled into my garage. I just checked and I now have the 2020.8.1 software update stuck at 100%. :(

As far as the Devon, PA SC experience goes, the vehicle pickup was as antiseptic as when I dropped the vehicle off. I checked in at the kiosk and after a few minutes, my car showed up just outside the SC door. A service rep came in through the door, handed me my key card and told me I was good to go. It all happened so fast, I forgot to return the key card for the loaner to the SR. I texted the SC to ask them what I should do with it. Still waiting for an answer.

So overall, my first experience with a Tesla SC was good. Everything with the repair work was excellent. I'm more mature now (old), so I prefer more human contact but I also understand that it's no longer the way of the world. That being said, I think I would have to give the SC a rating of very good.

Just had my upgrade to HW3.0 today. Everything went smooth. All my settings saves except Bluetooth/WiFi. Also had to sign back into Netflix/Hulu etc.

Yesterday I had upgraded to the software to 2020.8.1. However, after the HW3 upgrade today, I noticed that I am back on 2020.4.1

Will Tesla repush the latest update to my car soon? Or should I open a service request in the app for them to remotely force the update

Just had my upgrade to HW3.0 today. Everything went smooth. All my settings saves except Bluetooth/WiFi. Also had to sign back into Netflix/Hulu etc.

Yesterday I had upgraded to the software to 2020.8.1. However, after the HW3 upgrade today, I noticed that I am back on 2020.4.1

Will Tesla repush the latest update to my car soon? Or should I open a service request in the app for them to remotely force the update

It doesn't hurt to ask. But it'll eventually happen. Honestly, you can always ask in the service ticket, but at least in this case it doesn't sound like "Me wants latest update NOW" request like I always want to do in impatient-mode -- you can just say "I had this and lost it in my hardware upgrade, can you fix?" :)

Reactions: madhat7998
Got My Hardware 3 Upgrade done Basically, I booked it thru app got in service center and got the HW3 Computer.. It is nice to see the traffic lights and Cones .. I think sometime later this month as per Elon tweet we could be getting some interesting upgrades related to FSD ..

Got My Hardware 3 Upgrade done Basically, I booked it thru app got in service center and got the HW3 Computer.. It is nice to see the traffic lights and Cones .. I think sometime later this month as per Elon tweet we could be getting some interesting upgrades related to FSD ..

Source? Curious. The only thing I've heard about is that they're working on a code rewrite internally to directly take advantage of HW3.0 but no specific data.

Anyone figure out a way to get rid of the dash cam to slow message?

I want to make sure that all of my clips/century mode is properly being recorded

The answer to this question inevitably comes down to almost a turf war over what storage is best to be used for the Tesla. Since we can't modify the Tesla firmware or code, nor is there a switch for "stop telling me my storage is slow", the only real Captain Obvious answer here is to either change/buy different storage hardware or possibly re-configuring what you have. I think the former is the most likely culprit, where volume types, file systems less likely but still possible.

Every other answer goes into anecdotal territory where people will say "I have a Samsung T5 SSD and I never get that message" which is how I initially wanted to answer this question. Honestly, this is a case where we should somehow pressure Tesla to document the specific USB requirements for Sentry and USB music storage and partition requirements, then we could file a proper bug report on your USB storage if it meets those requirements yet you get the message. Right now we're all just infighting over thinking which USB is better and that helps no one - and no one should be recommending that you buy anything else to solve the problem, but that's the only answer I could give right now.

Booked a tire rotation through the app and simply put "HW3 upgrade?" in the request notes. Just heard back from the Service Center through the app that I'm scheduled for both next week in Denver. Will let you all know how it goes.

The answer to this question inevitably comes down to almost a turf war over what storage is best to be used for the Tesla. Since we can't modify the Tesla firmware or code, nor is there a switch for "stop telling me my storage is slow", the only real Captain Obvious answer here is to either change/buy different storage hardware or possibly re-configuring what you have. I think the former is the most likely culprit, where volume types, file systems less likely but still possible.

Every other answer goes into anecdotal territory where people will say "I have a Samsung T5 SSD and I never get that message" which is how I initially wanted to answer this question. Honestly, this is a case where we should somehow pressure Tesla to document the specific USB requirements for Sentry and USB music storage and partition requirements, then we could file a proper bug report on your USB storage if it meets those requirements yet you get the message. Right now we're all just infighting over thinking which USB is better and that helps no one - and no one should be recommending that you buy anything else to solve the problem, but that's the only answer I could give right now.

If I were to add my own color/anecdote, I also seem to get this message whenever the available space on my external drive dips below the 5% mark. If I had to guess, maybe something to do with deleting old events not freeing up new space fast enough, or similar.

Once I go in and delete some older events, message goes away; rinse and repeat.

Finally had mine done today. Took them three days to complete this retrofit. Nothing was lost accept WiFi and Bluetooth just like in everyone else. After about 20 miles of camera calibration i was able to use NoA. So far I like it a lot the way car handles in the lane and navigates on autopilot.