Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad I jumped on the retrofit when I did with the current virus situation. That being said I was driving a few nights ago and I received a notification that the 12V battery was disconnected. Looked up how to access it, popped off the cover and the tech must not have even tightened the connector as it was just barely sitting on the battery post. Tightened it with the tool I happened to have on me. Not a huge deal but just sloppy work. Fortunately it came completely loose while I was driving vs sitting in the driveway for a day or more.

Got mine done today. Took 2.5 hours while I waited in the showroom. Electrical rework was required for my Sep 18 build. Only had to re-add my home WiFi network and reconnect my phone via Bluetooth (though phone key worked without doing that). They took it for a test drive and calibration finished before I even got a 1/4 mile from the service center. Was at 2020.8.1 when I went in, they pushed 2020.12 during the retrofit, and I had 2020.12.1 come through the same evening.

Staff was very courteous and strictly maintained physical distancing. They sanitized the desk I sat at for me and had hand sanitizer everywhere. No cars in the showroom.

Just saw video of FSD stopping for stoplight.

How do I get retrofitted? Do I just set up appointment for software?
I had the FSD installed this week. I set up the appointment via the app under Other since it's primarily hardware not just software. Since officially Tesla is supposed to notify us when the retrofit is available for our vehicle; in the appointment request I politely asked if my model 3 was on the available list.

The reply was that the retrofit was available for my 3 and the appointment went thru.

However when I dropped off my 3 I was told that I had just slipped in - my SC, Littleton, CO, was limiting service to safety related items since their hours were shortened due to COVID-19.

Upgrade went fine, dropped off on Wednesday, picked up on Thursday. Only items that I had to redo - linking our phones for calls & texts and web favorites. All other settings seem to have transferred.

I was scheduled for the update but they cancelled it saying they have no more computers. This was several weeks ago. They also denied my windshield replacement which creates double headlights from oncoming traffic. Really sick of Tesla service at this point. Someone else needed to manufacture up some competition

I'm probably in the group that will end up selling the car before FSD works, but the least they could do is give me a new computer. I'm already at almost 30k miles.

Got my HW3 a little over a week ago in Tucson, AZ. Also took care of a couple of service items (frunk latch shims and charge port pins). I dropped it off for the whole day so I don't know how long it took, but I had no issues. The only thing I had to do was pair my phone with the new bluetooth module, which the techs had warned me about.

Tip: Before you drive away from the service center after getting the retrofit, toggle wifi off, and make sure you can get an LTE/cell signal to the car. For some reason, my LTE module doesn't work after the HW3 retrofit, and I can't wake the car from the app after it sleeps. I also don't get maps as a result, when going outside of wifi range.

Tip: Before you drive away from the service center after getting the retrofit, toggle wifi off, and make sure you can get an LTE/cell signal to the car. For some reason, my LTE module doesn't work after the HW3 retrofit, and I can't wake the car from the app after it sleeps. I also don't get maps as a result, when going outside of wifi range.

My LTE has been absolutely horrible but I noticed it more since 2020.12.1 as opposed to just after the retrofit but it could certainly be related.

Politeness works all the time. I politely asked when the retrofit will be available for my Jan19 build M3 and got the response to bring it within the week. Make sure you commend them on their awesome and show compassion. Now waiting for them to finish the job.

I got my August 2018 build retrofit today at the Maplewood, MN facility. Dropped the car off at 8:30, got a Model S 90D loaner, and got a text saying it was done at 1. The only thing I have noticed that got reset was my radio presets.

The Service Center moved back my appointment by two weeks due to the current virus situation. I expect that appointment to be moved back as well.

At least I have a spot in the line now!
As predicted, they cancelled my updated appointment for Tuesday (4/7). This time they didn't move it back, but cancelled it outright.

Who knows when I will get a chance to get my computer upgraded. Based on Tesla's history of poor communication, I doubt that when things are back to normal they will even bother to reach out to me to schedule a new appointment. I assume I will probably have to guess when they are doing the upgrades again, and then get back in the end of the line.

Had mine done today as part of my 2 year warranty visit. All done in 3 hours. Lost all my settings which I've taken care of except for Homelink which I just didn't have time for.
I just got software version 12.1 two days ago and was glad to see I got the same version back. They gave me a Model X loaner for the day and the visit was 100% touchless.
Saw a technician across the parking lot and that was it.

My 2018 Model 3, early VIN 136xx was due the FSD upgrade and i've been getting a few AP errors as well as a "Car will not restart tied with a BMS" error weekly. finally made time to bring it in. Dropped it off Friday morning at the Orlando Service Center, and the Tech said they would most likely do the "not restart" error message and due to COVID resource constraints i would have to bring it back to get the FSD swap and other AP issues looked at. They offered me a 2018 MX 100D as a loaner, and I was on my way. They texted me a few hours later that they will be doing all the work and that I should be able to pick it up on Monday! Great team, and the no-touch service this morning was easy. Tech came out to my car, asked me my name, and to confirm the issues. I signed the loaner form and i was on my way.

So quick follow-up.

I got the automated text and email immediately after making the appointment March 4th....

I got a follow-up text Monday March 9th to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

I got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (in the morning) to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

(through all this the appointment remained listed in the app-never got any invoice email though)

Now I just got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (evening) saying sorry, we have no parts. Try again next month.

When I went back to the app there's no sign of my original appointment so I had to reenter everything for a new one instead of just being able to change the date on the existing request.

Further update.

They cancelled tomorrows appointment. Saying no stock on the computer.

This despite them having told me back on March 11 that they would "certainly have it in stock by first week of April" and schedule for then.

When I pointed this out they told me the missing part was due to the factory shutdowns in California and Nevada due to the Virus, and so sorry- try again second week of May.

This was a lie of course since AFAIK the actual chip is made by Samsung, not Tesla, and in Texas, not CA or Nevada...and then final assembly is in China, not CA or NV. But didn't see much value in calling out the lie at this point.

On the bright side latest word from Green is actual FSD-exclusive features are still a ways off, with the current EAP stoplight thing being something clearly not release level (and if it were you wouldn't likely want it) so no hurry I guess.

It really bothers me when people accuse others of lying rather than acknowledging the far more likely prospect that they are either just misinformed or guessing at details. I would not expect a repair/appointment person to be as informed on the business workings of their company as those of us obsessive/compulsive types on the internet. Let's have some civility here.

It really bothers me when people accuse others of lying rather than acknowledging the far more likely prospect that they are either just misinformed or guessing at details. I would not expect a repair/appointment person to be as informed on the business workings of their company as those of us obsessive/compulsive types on the internet. Let's have some civility here.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if someone is misinformed or is guessing - yet states their opinion as a fact that is actually incorrect, doesn't that essentially make it a lie? They may not be maliciously or intentionally lying, but it doesn't change the fact that they're communicating incorrect statements that are not the truth. As a receiver of such information, if it is proven to be incorrect, I care less about intent than truth in information.

In this specific case, the service advisor incorrectly communicated that FSD computers are out of stock due to factory shutdowns in CA and NV, but overall supply chains are indeed disrupted, so the overall reason is correct - but that service advisor still shouldn't have brought up the CA and NV factories as culprit, since they have nothing to do with FSD computers. I can see why someone would be bothered by such a false statement, but I also agree that in this global pandemic situation it's ok to let it go and not make a fuss about it.

In general, I do prefer to lead by being civil and polite. However some people tend not to, and abuse kindness, so I believe it's important to also be cautious and think critically as well, instead of gobbling up anything anyone says or writes. There's way too much misinformation out there these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: daver6640