Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supply Chains world-wide are messed up right now

They weren't the first time they cancelled the appointment.

Hell- they weren't at the point when my part should've already been built and in transit to the shop.

It really bothers me when people accuse others of lying rather than acknowledging the far more likely prospect that they are either just misinformed or guessing at details. I would not expect a repair/appointment person to be as informed on the business workings of their company as those of us obsessive/compulsive types on the internet. Let's have some civility here.

I would expect if a representative of a company does not KNOW the correct answer- he not LIE and make one up.

Instead he should say he's sorry, he does not know, but will find out and get back to me. Then he should actually do exactly that.

Making *sugar* up, especially *sugar* I already know is untrue, is a great way to make your customers even more distrustful of your service ethic.

Even moreso in this case when they obviously lied the FIRST time about being certain they'd have the part for my car, so don't compound that with additional lies when I point that out after the 2nd cancellation for the same issue.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if someone is misinformed or is guessing - yet states their opinion as a fact that is actually incorrect, doesn't that essentially make it a lie? They may not be maliciously or intentionally lying, but it doesn't change the fact that they're communicating incorrect statements that are not the truth. As a receiver of such information, if it is proven to be incorrect, I care less about intent than truth in information.

This.

If you don't know- admit it- and offer to get correct information for the customer.

Just had my upgrade completed at Watertown, MA. HW3 retrofit is without electring wiring rework (I thought early 3's got the wiring reworked?) and the part number is 1462554-R0-J.

Also got my 2 year work done (brake fluid check $19.50, brake caliper pad cleaning and lubrication ($195), and HVAC cabin filter replacements ($73).

Got the charge port insulator pins replaced as well.

Dropped it at 8am and it was done at 1pm. Gave me a X loaner which feels like a massive tank....lol

On Monday I was sent a text that HW3 was available and to schedule an appt for 4/9 or later so I made it for the 10th.
They even offered Uber credit. Next morning they texted and said they were "completely out of stock" of the HW for FSD, and that my appt was canceled

Who is monitoring inventory??

On Monday I was sent a text that HW3 was available and to schedule an appt for 4/9 or later so I made it for the 10th.
They even offered Uber credit. Next morning they texted and said they were "completely out of stock" of the HW for FSD, and that my appt was canceled

Who is monitoring inventory??

I got the exact same message and scheduled the appointment on 4/9 and then they said they were out of stock and cancelled my appointment.

Just had FSD computer installed yesterday on the Model 3. It is much better, so far, during the 105 mile drive it is to the service center. We will see how it is on Monday for my normal commute. Took about 7 hours (eek) with a couple others things completed.

Lane center is much more locked in with less jerk.
Curves handled slightly better, will see on normal commute.
Lane changes a bit slower, but much smoother. Less LA-style, I would say perfect.
NoA lane change to exit still way too aggressive. I only tried on one exit and it's one I rarely take, I don't have a good comparison yet.
TACC distance keeping is much smoother, which I didn't think the computer would have affected.
Acceleration after 25mph'ish is still gimped when following.

I had 12.1 when I went in for the appointment and 12.1 when I left, so that should rule out firmware changes. I just updated to 12.5, so now I can't 100% compare.

Reactions: ev4thewin
In this specific case, the service advisor incorrectly communicated that FSD computers are out of stock due to factory shutdowns in CA and NV, but overall supply chains are indeed disrupted, so the overall reason is correct - but that service advisor still shouldn't have brought up the CA and NV factories as culprit, since they have nothing to do with FSD computers.

It's entirely possible that all the FSD computers that hit the service center go through CA or NV to be packaged into assemblies or kits, or at least to receive bulk shipments. I certainly would not expect Samsung to be drop-shipping them to each individual service center.

The people here in the Forum calling people liars are probably guessing with much less basis for fact than the people they are accusing.

It's entirely possible that all the FSD computers that hit the service center go through CA or NV to be packaged into assemblies or kits, or at least to receive bulk shipments. I certainly would not expect Samsung to be drop-shipping them to each individual service center.

The people here in the Forum calling people liars are probably guessing with much less basis for fact than the people they are accusing.

Samsung makes the chips in Texas.

Then then send them to Asia to be assembled into complete units...

We know this for a fact because they're stamped made in china or made in taiwain- and Tesla had a fight previously with the US government trying to get an exception from having to pay import tariffs on the completed computers coming into the US.

Also the first time they cancelled on me for "no parts" was before anything was actually shut down.

The second time was only abut a week after CA was shut down- when presumably the part should've already been AT the service center (or at least on its way there given I'd made the second appointment 5 weeks in advance after they cancelled the first and they specifically promised they'd have the part in by then).

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

Then then send them to Asia to be assembled into complete units...

And when they're sent in from Asia, do you imagine they're individually FedExed to service centers, or shipped to CA and NV for redistribution?

And do you imagine the SC knows anything other than where their parts come from - which is probably CA or NV - or do you imagine they track all the part sources individually?

(I suspect pretty much the only things they get individually are window glass, tires, and 12-volt batteries.)

Reactions: joelliot

... exactly. And how often do you think they run the Tesla wafers? We know it runs on Samsung’s 14nm fab ... which isn’t exactly unpopular.

Sonitnhas to get scheduled for a run, like everyone else. And once they build a batch, test and deliver it, who knows when the next run is scheduled?

I happen to sell computer systems with a (one popular but now) fairly esoteric processor ... since it’s sold in low volume, it’s the same issue - when they’re in stock, great. When we’re waiting for another run, it could be a while.

And when they're sent in from Asia, do you imagine they're individually FedExed to service centers, or shipped to CA and NV for redistribution?

I expect that depends how disorganized Tesla is :)

Again though the first time they cancelled for no parts the appointment was made weeks in advance, well before anything was shut down.... and then waiting till the night before to say "Oh, hey, that work we confirmed 3 different times we're doing? No parts. We will CERTAINLY have them in 5 weeks though- reschedule for then!"

So I did.

Again- no parts... (and again they waited till the night before to tell me, after multiple confirmations of the service appointment prior)- basically the exact same cancellation wording as the first time. Only when I pointed this out did they bring up the "Oh, uh, virus shutdown CA and NV!"

Ok- except it's like 8 or 9 weeks from when you should've ORIGINALLY ORDERED this part, right? And NV and CA only shut down a week or so ago, right? So you should either ALREADY HAVE IT, or it should at least already be IN TRANSIT from CA or NV and their shutdown shouldn't matter.

But naah, no parts, try again in 5 weeks. Also, kick this football- I promise I'll hold it in place this time!

... exactly. And how often do you think they run the Tesla wafers? We know it runs on Samsung’s 14nm fab ... which isn’t exactly unpopular.

Given that, and the fact they already knew how many FSD upgrades they had to do on 2.5 cars, plus how many they needed for planned new car production (and that's a 6 figure per quarter number), plus they might OCCASIONALLY need a replacement part too, you'd think they'd do a sufficient run the first time.

I mean- Tesla is terrible at management and logistics, but I find it impossible to believe their chip fab strategy is "Wait till customer we already know will be ordering these orders a few, then try and get on the fab schedule and when it's done it's done..."

Well I have a new appointment to have the HW installed via mobile service. I would be more excited if I was driving the car. Actually I wish they would just replace my ghosting front windshield so I could see better at night, but I guess the car will drive itself better since I have a visibility issue that requires me to pay $1200 for a new windshield...

Well I have a new appointment to have the HW installed via mobile service. I would be more excited if I was driving the car. Actually I wish they would just replace my ghosting front windshield so I could see better at night, but I guess the car will drive itself better since I have a visibility issue that requires me to pay $1200 for a new windshield...

AFAIK it can't even be done via mobile (especially on a 3 where coolant lines are involved).- at least previous posts have said that.

So don't be shocked if that gets cancelled (or switched to a service center appointment at least since apparently they magically have HW3 stock in CA locations they don't have here in NC)

Mine was done during the start of Michigan shutdown. I requested two weeks earlier they said no luck, but would reach out via text. They texted one week later. Asked me to leave key card on table. They put in a new windshield after texting me asking about the forearm length crack:D. Said they had in stock and could have done by morning. Wanted it to be inside overnight.

Was really easy.

They weren't the first time they cancelled the appointment.

Hell- they weren't at the point when my part should've already been built and in transit to the shop.

I would expect if a representative of a company does not KNOW the correct answer- he not LIE and make one up.

Instead he should say he's sorry, he does not know, but will find out and get back to me. Then he should actually do exactly that.

Making *sugar* up, especially *sugar* I already know is untrue, is a great way to make your customers even more distrustful of your service ethic.
Even moreso in this case when they obviously lied the FIRST time about being certain they'd have the part for my car, so don't compound that with additional lies when I point that out after the 2nd cancellation for the same issue.

Some people in life like to make up things or repeat hearsay to their own detriment. Never really understood why, but it is very prevalent in many industries. More than ever I have experienced it from service at Tesla. I just can't figure out why they don't have some sort of a customer communication model. Don't make stuff up if you don't know. Find out or let someone else explain.

Reactions: TomB985
Mine was done during the start of Michigan shutdown. I requested two weeks earlier they said no luck, but would reach out via text. They texted one week later. Asked me to leave key card on table. They put in a new windshield after texting me asking about the forearm length crack:D. Said they had in stock and could have done by morning. Wanted it to be inside overnight.

Was really easy.

Some people in life like to make up things or repeat hearsay to their own detriment. Never really understood why, but it is very prevalent in many industries. More than ever I have experienced it from service at Tesla. I just can't figure out why they don't have some sort of a customer communication model. Don't make stuff up if you don't know. Find out or let someone else explain.
$1200? See I had mine replaced already, and the new one is defective but it meets their quality standards... So even if I shell out another $1200, there is no guarantee that the new one will be clear at night. I paid $78,000 for my model 3 and would expect to be able to see out the windshield at night without ghosting lights, but I guess now I know why everyone says Tesla Quality blows. They didn't cancel my appoint for HW3 yet, so that is a good sign it might go through this time, I just sure hope they don't screw something else up during the install.

$1200? See I had mine replaced already, and the new one is defective but it meets their quality standards... So even if I shell out another $1200, there is no guarantee that the new one will be clear at night. I paid $78,000 for my model 3 and would expect to be able to see out the windshield at night without ghosting lights, but I guess now I know why everyone says Tesla Quality blows. They didn't cancel my appoint for HW3 yet, so that is a good sign it might go through this time, I just sure hope they don't screw something else up during the install.

Don't know what to say. I live on a dirt road. The rocks that have cause my cracks have been quite large. As I can see them coming at me, I duck instinctively. Can't really expect anything like that in my book to work. So this will be replacement 2 at 60kish. Did use CBond on this one. Mine was $1008.26.

Back on topic.

Can't tell anything is different. Can't say after making it this far in my 3 that I enjoy seeing trash cans and things that appear as cones that aren't. The whole intersection thing doesn't intrigue me. I turned off the FSD preview. So I would say all I got was a new windshield. Working area where install was done was clean and trim undamaged. Car was vaccumed.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Don't know what to say. I live on a dirt road. The rocks that have cause my cracks have been quite large. As I can see them coming at me, I duck instinctively. Can't really expect anything like that in my book to work. So this will be replacement 2 at 60kish. Did use CBond on this one. Mine was $1008.26.

Back on topic.

Can't tell anything is different. Can't say after making it this far in my 3 that I enjoy seeing trash cans and things that appear as cones that aren't. The whole intersection thing doesn't intrigue me. I turned off the FSD preview. So I would say all I got was a new windshield. Working area where install was done was clean and trim undamaged. Car was vaccumed.
I'm not sure what new stuff I will see now that cones appear on HW2.5 as well. It does not look like I will be doing any real driving for weeks due to lockdown.

Well they emailed me that they can't do this install mobile and will be switching to the service center.

Then a minute later I got an email that they ran out again and will have to re-schedule.

They had one for me in March, then they didn't. Then they reached out to me that they had one for me in April and asked me to schedule an appointment, and suddenly they ran out again? Seriously?