Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We upgraded our 2018 Model 3 LR RWD to HW3 on Tuesday. We dropped the car off at 9am and it was ready around 3pm. They gave us an Uber ride home, but no loaner car. The Uber credit thing is a little weird right now given the desire to stay six feet away from everyone. But it was only a ride home so we didn’t make a fuss. Everything seems to be working fine.

I am jealous in seeing other members posting their success story in having their HW3 retrofit done. I tried a few times to request the HW3 retrofit for my 2018 Model 3 (delivered in July of 2018) out here in Long Island with no success.

Response from SC from Syosset
Hi sir,

We currently are out of stock of the parts as they are on backorder. Please reach out again in a few weeks and we can update you. Thank you!
I have my apt tom for retrofit. My m3 was built dec 2018.

Do they let you know how long it will take? Everyones time seems to vary. Trying to plan out my day accordingly.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will try!

Hey you all,
Scheduled my HW3 retrofit for today (April 24) in SF Van Ness center. I hadn't really gotten any email from them. I did try scheduling earlier in February when they canceled it saying they don't have the parts. And they created another appointment for me (today's one), stating that they will have my part by then. They took the car in this morning and will be taking 3 days (including the weekend) to finish. Thanks for all the input.

Scheduled my two year brake fluid check and air filter replacement for the 29th. Also requested the HW3 upgrade. The mobile service was scheduled but the app said they would review it and get back to me. Will see if they bite. VIN 8xxx.

RT

Dropped off my car at 10:15am for hw 3 retrofit. Had them check the battery breathers and those were changed as well. Car was ready to be picked up at 5:15pm same day. They had a loaner available so i was driving a model s and did after hours drop off/pickup of my car.

Picked up my AWD LR last Dec 27. It has FSD computer installed. Upgrade sez $7,000 for Autopilot upgrade. What is the cost if the car did not have FSD computer? I've had cones, stop signs, traffic lights and trash cans displayed since day one.

My car was built 4/1/2019 with HW 2.5. I purchased the FSD on 4/11/2020 and found out nine days later via web chat with support the my upgrade was available. The upgrade was scheduled for last Thursday, and they completed it without issue. Not sure why some have to wait for months, perhaps as a regional availability issue? I'm located in Minnesota.

Picked up my AWD LR last Dec 27. It has FSD computer installed. Upgrade sez $7,000 for Autopilot upgrade. What is the cost if the car did not have FSD computer? I've had cones, stop signs, traffic lights and trash cans displayed since day one.

The price is the same regardless of how your car was built. They have been selling FSD as an option for more than two years now, and the incentive has always been to buy now because the price will increase in the future. Discounting the option once the FSD computer became standard would have worked against that.

I followed the procedure last week to schedule the upgrade and I'm having it done 4/29. Below is part of an email I received.

For a touchless Service experience, please use our Quick-Drop service. Upon arrival, you will be directed on where to park and securely leave your car and key. If you need to speak with our Service team, please be mindful that we are practicing social distancing in addition to the other recommended precautionary measures to limit exposure.

I'm glad replacing my FSD will be a touchless service experience. :) Of course I have never been touched at any previous service appointments.

April 20 - Scheduled mobile appointment for computer upgrade for April 28. I knew it would be changed, but I wanted to see what that process was like. Never heard anything back.
April 27 - I checked the app and it was still scheduled for the 28th, but now it was a service center visit. Fine. Would have been nice to email me. Called and asked if they have a loaner for me and was told yes.
April 28 - Arrive at service center. No loaner, but I can have uber credits. I live 45 minutes away and do not want to take a car service. Asked it they had a room I could sit it to wait. Was told no. Decided to reschedule.

Scheduled my two year brake fluid check and air filter replacement for the 29th. Also requested the HW3 upgrade. The mobile service was scheduled but the app said they would review it and get back to me. Will see if they bite. VIN 8xxx.

RT

No HW3 replacement as part of the two year service. The email said the part was not in stock. This would have been done at the Burbank service center I presume. The two year service is being done at my residence.

RT

Due to covid, I am stuck in Canada with my USA Tesla.

I decided to request Montréal SC 1 year service. At the same time I asked if they could check if my vin was illegible yet for HW3 upgrade and if they had a computer in stock that matches my vin. Instead of requested it aka “I want HW3 upgrade” I made it sound like I’m aware I might not be illegible yet. I felt I would have better chance to ask like this. So it worked, the upgrade took about 3h to do... I was surprised it was fast so obviously something had to be wrong.... yes!

Before dropping my car, I had cleaned it all... and see the images showing how it was given back to me. I had to clean quite a few things. I paid more than a BMW/Mercedes and this would never happen, Tesla is all about money so they cut corners. Whoever took the car, it’s covid season and they should wash their hands!

267C6AEC-4E19-45CE-A9E9-655BB3B84C8B.jpeg
F2819F23-1572-4293-87C0-79BE1B4D1825.jpeg
B2596C04-3349-4469-AC25-F241EFC2504B.jpeg
D448D130-EA8F-4789-9199-8126B36AA42D.jpeg
6E705CF2-5B73-4853-88B0-7D9D1B5FAD2A.jpeg
D9C2BD80-14AF-4C05-812A-EE1709ACA2BE.jpeg

Reactions: torontohm3wait
Due to covid, I am stuck in Canada with my USA Tesla.

I decided to request Montréal SC 1 year service. At the same time I asked if they could check if my vin was illegible yet for HW3 upgrade and if they had a computer in stock that matches my vin. Instead of requested it aka “I want HW3 upgrade” I made it sound like I’m aware I might not be illegible yet. I felt I would have better chance to ask like this. So it worked, the upgrade took about 3h to do... I was surprised it was fast so obviously something had to be wrong.... yes!
illegible: [ill-ledge-ible] not being able to be read - e.g. "his writing was so bad it was illegible".
eligible: [el-jibble] being qualified; meeting all stated requirements - "I made sure that all the paperwork was completed in order to be eligble for the update".

Sorry that your interior was so messed up by the service. I've got the black seats so maybe it won't be so bad. I am planning on vacuuming the car out prior to my appointment and also removing my dashcam and cleaning out the center console and glovebox.

Reactions: belanger
Tesla also left a mark on my headliner on the passenger front side (probably grabbing onto it while installing the HW3 computer behind the glovebox). I didn't notice until I got home. I called and they said they'd clean it if I brought it back in, or they recommended I use "any" household cleaner by diluting it first. I used some basic target brand cleaner and diluted it on a paper towel then wiped. Fortunately it came off and the headliner seems resilient to the moderate scrubbing I had to apply.

Last Saturday I used the mobile app to set up an appointment to get my FSD 3.0 computer installed.
The first available slot in Bellevue, WA was for this Tuesday (yesterday).
I dropped it off at 2pm on Tuesday. They texted me a link beforehand; when I arrived, I clicked the link to let them know I had arrived.
They called me 15 seconds later, and came out to grab the key to my car. I had my wife pick me up because she wasn't doing anything anyway; but they offered Uber credits and it looked like they had several loaner Model S in the lot.

At 6:30pm I got a text saying my car was ready, and I could pick it up at any time on Weds.
I picked it up at 11:30 today, same process as dropping it off (except there was a few minute wait).

Our phones had to be re-paired to the car afterwards (I am not sure why).
Autopilot cameras said they were calibrated and ready to go after driving about 6 miles.

It was a great, fast, easy experience.

Nov 2018 Model 3, VIN 83xxx