Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped it off at 11:30 am today it was ready to pick up at 4 pm. It was running 2020.12.5 when I picked it up. So you can have a newer version installed after the upgrade. Maybe I got lucky. I was on 2020.12.5 when I dropped it off today.

I observed the following.
  • Phone as key worked but all the contact, calendar and audio were gone and I had to go into phone and add that part again.
  • The cameras needed to re-calibrate.
  • Had to add the password for my home WiFi again, as soon as I committed the change it rebooted.

Tesla SC notified me at 100 that my car was ready. Just under 5 hours. They must be getting good at these computer swaps. I had it in for brake fluid service too but after testing it, they informed me no need to change at this point so only thing out of pocket was cabin filter replacement. On the retrofit, all of my settings were lost including Homelink. I had to pretty much set the car up as if it were new. Back home and plugged in downloading map update -- must be huge file because its taking awhile so assuming when done, 12.6 will be pushed or atleast I hope.

Reactions: Blucenturion
My mobile service update was pretty uneventful. Swap out took just a bit over 90 minutes, from the tech calling me from my driveway until he turned the car back over to me. FW 2020.12.5 was loaded but my map version reverted back to 2019.6 (updating now). 10 minutes/5 miles of driving was all that was needed to recalibrate the cameras. Thought about the cabin filters too late to add them to the service so I'll have it done along with the brake service in a couple of months.

The only things I've had to "reset" is pairing my phone, entering my WiFi password and Netflix login. All driver profiles appear to be intact, along with my radio favorites.

Reactions: Tz00
My refit went great. Done at the new Detroit-Clarkston Service Center. I scheduled and rescheduled the update with the Tesla app in this time of shutdown. Started at end of March, rescheduled for mid-May, rescheduled for late April and done on April 30.
Contactless service. I showed up at 8 am after a four hour drive in rain. Scanned url code posted on door, filled out my phone number and waited in my car. A few minutes later, I got given a model S loaner and car went in for update. I waited in lot, comfy in the Model S reading my iPad. It took 2 hours, I got notice of a firmware install and walked back to entrance. Car was driven up, I returned model S fob. Took a picture of the cleaning solution they used to wipe down my car interior. They said it was a disinfectant for the virus. I’m not sure, but maybe.
27C5332A-9E08-4289-BC3F-BE6FEDEEF20D.jpeg

I had to reset NOA, Bluetooth connect my phone, select FSD preview and reset WiFi password when I got home. Other settings were retained. Rebooted car in the morning and got latest firmware to download. 2020.12.11.1

lovely time except for the rain...

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for offering your experience. My service is scheduled next Tuesday at the Raleigh Service Center. I hope they will offer a Loaner because I will have no transportation.

My bet is they cancel it.

They've cancelled my last 2 for this (the night before each time around 6-7pm, despite multiple "confirmations" before that up to the morning before) claiming no hardware in stock.

By all means let us know if they've suddenly somehow gotten a shipment during the shutdown though- would love to hear that.

Yesterday I dropped off my car at 9AM here in SoCal and picked it up at 4PM. All my settings were retained.

My navigation maps reverted back to 2019.6 and it won't download the latest version even though I'm connected to strong WiFi (full bars and 250Mbps down).

Did anyone else run into the issue where the latest maps will not download after doing their retrofit?

Yep. I had to hard reboot twice. Once for the new firmware and once for the new nav map.

I may not have had to, but it worked. The new nav maps took awhile on a 100 mbit connection.

I got a prompt to download 2020.12.11.1 (firmware) and that went smoothly.

Unfortunately the car is stuck on 2019.6 (navigation maps) which is preventing me from using the stoplight/stopsign feature.

Anyone have tips on how to force the navigation update to the newest version?

Monday morning, I made an appointment for tomorrow. Yesterday, I was notified it was changed to Friday the 1st in the afternoon.

We'll see.
Left the car at the end of the driveway. Took him less than 1 hour just now. Software had already upgraded earlier this morning. He saved all my settings beforehand and restored them. Said only thing left was for the maps to be downloaded.

Quite impressive. He said 1 hour is the average for him. I will test it later after working out.

Reactions: Tz00 and eslamotors

Unfortunately the car is stuck on 2019.6 (navigation maps) which is preventing me from using the stoplight/stopsign feature.

Updating my post earlier if anyone runs into a similar issue as me in the future. Tesla chat support said they can't push nav updates to my car and that I had to contact the Service Center. Service Center said my car was fully up to date and there was nothing else to download even though my maps were clearly outdated (2019.6).

Ended up creating a mobile service request for next week and then "magically" got the navigation update pushed to my car and a text message from the LA mobile service team asking if they could close my service request for next week as the update was successful.

Just completed first drive with new features and it was quite impressive to say the least. It handled the traffic lights great. The only situation that confused it was a flashing red light on a major 3 lane divided thoroughfare where it wanted to stop at it no matter what I did. I also found that since the car is programmed to start braking at 600 feet from light, a time or two I would press to continue on and then the light would suddenly change red and I’d have to take over. I didn’t want chance it running through it.

How can you check the Map Version? I too downloaded 2020.12.11.1 but cannot turn on the stoplight/stopsign feature

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
My appt was at 10:30 am. I picked it up at 5pm. They gave me an Uber voucher to get back home and back to the service center. I received my invoice the next day via email. I turned on the visualizations, but I couldn't test whether it stops for stoplights or signs. The navigation had to update. The only thing I seemed to have lost is WiFi.