Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car actually downloaded the updated maps data first and then I got the s/w push later that night. I went into the car to enable stop light traffic control but couldn’t even though I had the newest maps. I left the car confused and came back 20-30 min later and then I was able to toggle the setting to on. Def odd.

Mine was similar, but reverted back to the 2019 maps after HW3 was installed. A few days later I got 2020.12.11, and the 2020 maps the day after. I think the map file is different for HW3 for some reason.

In case someone missed the news: Tesla hacker @verygreen discovered that after a computer upgrade, the old computers may not be wiped properly by Tesla, and various unencrypted personal information may be left behind, including:

- Navigation history, home and work addresses
- Saved Wifi passwords
- Calendar and contacts if you synced them from a paired phone
- Session cookies for Google/Netflix if you logged in to the Youtube/Netflix apps
- Spotify passwords in clear text if you used the app

... and perhaps more. Some of the old computers somehow ended up on eBay. If you get your car upgraded, it's probably a good idea to delete everything you can and log out of any accounts you have used (and perhaps even do a factory reset) before bringing the car to the service center, and change all important passwords afterwards.

Tesla Data Leak: Old Components With Personal Info Find Their Way On eBay

From the story- "Since Green got hold of four computers, we have four confirmed Tesla owners involved with this privacy issue. All of them are from California, and all four have chosen to remain anonymous"

My hope is this is one rogue service center employee in one CA service center trying to make a few extra bucks selling customer removed parts on Ebay and not having wiped them.

That said- it's Tesla service/logistics/process at work- so systemic gross incompetence is not at all out of the realm of possibility.

In case someone missed the news: Tesla hacker @verygreen discovered that after a computer upgrade, the old computers may not be wiped properly by Tesla, and various unencrypted personal information may be left behind, including:...

Very interesting. Not something I'm worried about, but Tesla should certainly adjust their practices to prevent this from being possible. With how many thousands of these have been replaced, what are the odds my computer would end up in the hands of someone nefarious?

Reactions: radiocycle
the following:
- Navigation history, home and work addresses: Meh. Worst thing is that somebody will find out which breweries and dispensaries I've visited recently. Anyone who can do a decent Google search can probably find my home address. Work; don't go there anymore even though my car seems to always suggest a route there if I get in during the morning.
- Saved Wifi passwords: All my WiFi passwords at home are the same; doesn't concern me too much as they would have to sit in my driveway for any decent access.
- Calendar and contacts if you synced them from a paired phone: So someone finds out the phone numbers of my kids and wife. Not too much on my calendar schedule since the Sharks cancelled their season.
- Session cookies for Google/Netflix if you logged in to the Youtube/Netflix apps: Now that's hitting home. Might have to change my Netflix login password.
- Spotify passwords in clear text if you used the app: Don't use it.

Thank you to everyone for offering your experience. My service is scheduled next Tuesday at the Raleigh Service Center. I hope they will offer a Loaner because I will have no transportation.

Just had M3 upgraded at the Raleigh Service Center.
- Dropped off at 9:30. Ready for pick-up 12:10
- Touchless dropoff experience. Filled out online form (received via txt) and was notified by tech to drop key in dropbox
- Touchless pick-up experience. Received txt that car was read for pick-up. Key was already in car. Unlocked with app and left!
- offered Uber credit for transportation to/from SC (I used this option in the past but not this time)
- car washed and interior vacuumed
- On 2020.12.10 but Navigation on 2019 after 1 day
- Had to setup Bluetooth and Wifi
- had to activate FSD preview to enable stop light/sign visualization

Great experience!

Last edited:
My bet is they cancel it.

They've cancelled my last 2 for this (the night before each time around 6-7pm, despite multiple "confirmations" before that up to the morning before) claiming no hardware in stock.

By all means let us know if they've suddenly somehow gotten a shipment during the shutdown though- would love to hear that.

I had an appt in April but rescheduled it due to COVID19. I received confirmation on Fri 1-May for Mon 4-May appt. M3 upgraded to FSD computer yesterday at Raleigh Service Center. (see my post above)

Last edited:
I have an appointment this Friday 8th May in Montreal to replace a taillight cluster which is leaking and has condensation inside, I asked if they could fit HW3 at the same time. The app originally scheduled me for a mobile service appointment, but they called me up and asked to move to the service center as they need cover for the car and I don't have a garage.

The app originally scheduled me for a mobile service appointment, but they called me up and asked to move to the service center as they need cover for the car and I don't have a garage.
My mobile tech ask me to open my garage door when he did the HW3 upgrade. He moved the car partially into the garage (basically the frunk inside and the rest outside) while he did the work. It was explained to me that since my WiFi repeater was in the garage, he wanted the best possible connection to it when updating the software. All four doors were open during the install. The day was nice so maybe if there's a chance of inclement weather that would necessitate some coverage for the car. In fact I told the service rep when he called to arrange the appointment that my car would be in the driveway and what would happen if it was raining that day. He said we would deal with that if it came up. My assumption was that we'd reschedule or that I would have to bring the car in to the service center.

My mobile tech ask me to open my garage door when he did the HW3 upgrade. He moved the car partially into the garage (basically the frunk inside and the rest outside) while he did the work. It was explained to me that since my WiFi repeater was in the garage, he wanted the best possible connection to it when updating the software. All four doors were open during the install. The day was nice so maybe if there's a chance of inclement weather that would necessitate some coverage for the car. In fact I told the service rep when he called to arrange the appointment that my car would be in the driveway and what would happen if it was raining that day. He said we would deal with that if it came up. My assumption was that we'd reschedule or that I would have to bring the car in to the service center.
It's due to snow here in Montreal on Friday, so I would say a strong chance of inclement weather :(

A mobile tech can do the upgrade? Why in the hell is San Rafael making me come in?

It might be that not all service centers can send out mobile service for the HW3 upgrade. I was quite surprised when it was offered to me since I read here that it was something that was not done. For my situation it worked out.
They texted and said the only cars being accommodated are the X and the S. I think my daughter is kinda looking forward to getting to drive it, so it's all good.

Tesla SC notified me at 100 that my car was ready. Just under 5 hours. They must be getting good at these computer swaps. I had it in for brake fluid service too but after testing it, they informed me no need to change at this point so only thing out of pocket was cabin filter replacement. On the retrofit, all of my settings were lost including Homelink. I had to pretty much set the car up as if it were new. Back home and plugged in downloading map update -- must be huge file because its taking awhile so assuming when done, 12.6 will be pushed or atleast I hope.

I just got upgraded, and HomeLink stopped working for one garage bay, which has a 2019 garage door opener, but it still worked fine for the other garage bay, which has a 2015 garage door opener. Odd that one failed and the other works fine. The settings all claim to be there, but it flat out will not open or close the door.

I have an appointment this Friday 8th May in Montreal to replace a taillight cluster which is leaking and has condensation inside, I asked if they could fit HW3 at the same time. The app originally scheduled me for a mobile service appointment, but they called me up and asked to move to the service center as they need cover for the car and I don't have a garage.
I got upgraded today, I dropped the car off at 11:30am and was quickly signed in and offered a black model 3 long range RWD as a loaner, so I filled out the paperwork on the clipboard and left it in my car with the drivers key. I eventually got texted around 6pm as the car was and went to pick the car up shortly before 7pm. Pick-up and drop-off were both contactless. I didn't lose any of my settings, except Bluetooth was no longer paired, but all keys were still paired. Auto-pilot was calibrating on the way home, but didn't finish before I arrived.

Nothing else of note except that I've never driven a RWD model 3 before and it seemed noticeably slower than my AWD.

My daughter took my car to San Rafael, it checked in at 12:22, they said finis at 2:49. Advised Bluetooth must be re-paired, and all settings/profiles must be reset. She learned a lot about navigating to Superchargers, albeit at a huge expense; it will have been ten hours driving when she gets home. They said they only doing home tech swaps for the X and S, presently, why we had to go there.

- Navigation history, home and work addresses: Meh. Worst thing is that somebody will find out which breweries and dispensaries I've visited recently. Anyone who can do a decent Google search can probably find my home address. Work; don't go there anymore even though my car seems to always suggest a route there if I get in during the morning.
- Saved Wifi passwords: All my WiFi passwords at home are the same; doesn't concern me too much as they would have to sit in my driveway for any decent access.
- Calendar and contacts if you synced them from a paired phone: So someone finds out the phone numbers of my kids and wife. Not too much on my calendar schedule since the Sharks cancelled their season.
- Session cookies for Google/Netflix if you logged in to the Youtube/Netflix apps: Now that's hitting home. Might have to change my Netflix login password.
- Spotify passwords in clear text if you used the app: Don't use it.
It's still exposing PII, this is not acceptable.

I had an appt in April but rescheduled it due to COVID19. I received confirmation on Fri 1-May for Mon 4-May appt. M3 upgraded to FSD computer yesterday at Raleigh Service Center. (see my post above)

Must be nice.

They (Raleigh) just cancelled on me for a third time a couple minutes ago, once again day before the actual appointment.

This time they claim they have now ordered one "specifically for my car" and they'd reach out when it arrived so no need to put in a new appointment.

Sure would've been nice if they'd done that the first 3 times I scheduled this service going back over 3 months now.

And I'm...let's say pretty dubious...that they're going to actually order one and reach out to me when it arrives either.