Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As predicted, they cancelled my updated appointment for Tuesday (4/7). This time they didn't move it back, but cancelled it outright.

Who knows when I will get a chance to get my computer upgraded. Based on Tesla's history of poor communication, I doubt that when things are back to normal they will even bother to reach out to me to schedule a new appointment. I assume I will probably have to guess when they are doing the upgrades again, and then get back in the end of the line.
And they did not reach out to me when they opened back up. I scheduled a new appointment and was initially told that they didn't have any parts and that the service center would reach out to me when they were available.

This was obviously standard boilerplate, so I asked them what happened to the parts they had for my previous, confirmed, appointment. They responded by scheduling me for June 2. :)

We'll see if it gets cancelled again. This is my fourth attempt at getting this computer changed out, with two (so far) confirmed ahead of time (the other two were "no parts" early cancellations).

I recently upgraded to HW3 and on 2020.16.2.1. There still is no recognition of stop lights or stop signs, even though I have FSD. I thought that after the upgrade I would have at least seen these visualizations.

So, just called my Tesla SC to see if they have the parts in stock for my June 4th appt. Put me on hold for the longest 3 minutes lol. Came back and....parts are allocated for my vehicle. I asked if that means they are in stock and he said yes they are here. Didn't seem to happy on the call. They must be crazy busy.

So, seems like I am getting the HW3 upgrade next Thursday! Cannot wait!

So, just called my Tesla SC to see if they have the parts in stock for my June 4th appt. Put me on hold for the longest 3 minutes lol. Came back and....parts are allocated for my vehicle. I asked if that means they are in stock and he said yes they are here. Didn't seem to happy on the call. They must be crazy busy.

So, seems like I am getting the HW3 upgrade next Thursday! Cannot wait!
Congrats! Fingers crossed...

My appt is coming is set for Monday morning. (3rd time is the charm i guess)
The first time they offered Uber credit. No such offer this time around

For those who have had it done ...(Im sorry for the newb questions):
-what do I need to do reset the computer to wipe off personal data
-is replacing the chip and computer just an internal change, or do they swap out the screen too?

a bit off topic:
also asked them about doing a tire rotation and wheel balancing- $114 (yikes)
Read on another thread that some locations did it for free.
Not my SC apparently

Quick update about my upgrade to v3.

Less than one minute after I parked the car, the service advisor called me saying that he saw me pull up and asked me if I needed transportation. I said yes and he asked me to send him pics of my DL and insurance card. Shortly after I sent him the pictures I got an email with a loaner agreement. After I agreed with the conditions by clicking on a link, he texted me with the information of the loaner car.. a red model s p85d and it's license plate.

Left the key card in the center console and left with the loaner.

2 hours later got a call from the service advisor letting me know that my car was ready.

Drove the loaner back, left the remote control in their Dropbox and drove off with my car.

Very smooth and easy.... Zero issues

And they did not reach out to me when they opened back up. I scheduled a new appointment and was initially told that they didn't have any parts and that the service center would reach out to me when they were available.

This was obviously standard boilerplate, so I asked them what happened to the parts they had for my previous, confirmed, appointment. They responded by scheduling me for June 2. :)

We'll see if it gets cancelled again. This is my fourth attempt at getting this computer changed out, with two (so far) confirmed ahead of time (the other two were "no parts" early cancellations).

Same happened to me 2 weeks ago but the 'rebooked' appointment was honored this time and I got my retrofit. So parts are coming in now that the factory also restarted. Lost phone connection (phone keys still working) & homelink had to be reprogrammed but otherwise all working well. I could see that they went to drive the car enough to get calibration done before I took the vehicle back.