Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the HW3 upgrade installed today (San Rafael, CA). Dropped the car off at around 9am, and it was finished by noon. I kicked the whole thing off via the mobile app 'schedule service' exactly 2 weeks ago.

It took about 10 miles for the cameras to calibrate for the stop sign/light behavior. The navigate on autopilot lane change option still needs a few more miles to calibrate. As mentioned already, most of the settings were lost. No big deal, the only one that's a bit of a pain is HomeLink... but ok it takes just a few minutes.

Wow what a difference in the visualizations. Love seeing all the road markings... and was pleasantly surprised by the trash can visualization. It's trash day in my neighborhood, so they were everywhere. Like a construction zone in HW2.5 but with trash containers instead of cones.

This is a P3D vin 114xxx (September 2018 delivery)

Got the HW3 upgrade installed today (San Rafael, CA). Dropped the car off at around 9am, and it was finished by noon. I kicked the whole thing off via the mobile app 'schedule service' exactly 2 weeks ago.

It took about 10 miles for the cameras to calibrate for the stop sign/light behavior. The navigate on autopilot lane change option still needs a few more miles to calibrate. As mentioned already, most of the settings were lost. No big deal, the only one that's a bit of a pain is HomeLink... but ok it takes just a few minutes.

Wow what a difference in the visualizations. Love seeing all the road markings... and was pleasantly surprised by the trash can visualization. It's trash day in my neighborhood, so they were everywhere. Like a construction zone in HW2.5 but with trash containers instead of cones.

This is a P3D vin 114xxx (September 2018 delivery)

So, you were able to enable the ability to stop automatically at lights and stops signs after driving 10 miles?

Requested upgrade on May 19, no parts. Got a text back yesterday saying parts are in, and appointment is Tuesday.

I noticed a few people having it done via mobile service, and a few via the service center.

I'd much rather do it mobile, but it seems my appt is at the service center.

Was anybody able to switch?

As noted multiple times, it's impossible to get a human on the line.

Also, I noticed there are no appointments after 3pm, and on weekends. Did anybody else see that?

Last edited:
They just finished installing the FSD computer. Took just around 2 hours (did it on my driveway), as they also replaced the charging pins and air filters. I had to re-enter my wifi credentials, and link my phone's Bluetooth. Everything else (driver profiles, homelink, audio..) was fine. Told me to clean my cameras and go for a joyride so the system can re-calibrate. Shows SW version 2020.16.2.1, same as before.

Last edited:
Palo Alto, CA: I have a Nov ‘18 LR RWD. Sent a mobile request for upgrade on Sun 5/31. Got a text this morning 6/1 saying there were no parts available and booking me for 7/13 to hold a spot. Then... got a call later this morning 6/1 saying parts arrived and booking me for a mobile appt. Jun 8. Awesome! I’ll update with my experience.

I just got the upgrade at Palo Alto yesterday; requested in early May for mid-May, they called back that week and said the parts would be coming in early June and re-booked for 6/3. Took a full day but I don't think they worked on it the first day. But they indeed have gotten parts this week.

Autosteer and traffic light visualization worked as soon as I picked it up; calibration for the traffic light and stop control took about 10 miles, and seems to be working decently.

They just finished installing the FSD computer. Took just around 2 hours (did it on my driveway), as they also replaced the charging pins and air filters. I had to re-enter my wifi credentials, and link my phone's Bluetooth. Everything else (driver profiles, homelink, audio..) was fine. Told me to clean my cameras and go for a joyride so the system can re-calibrate. Shows SW version 2020.16.2.1, same as before.
I ad to reprogram my garage door opener. The "profile" was still there, but i didn't do anything when i "pressed it" so I had to reprogram it

I've got an interesting one and wanted to see if anybody else has seen this. I bought a preowned M3P with about 5k miles from Tesla direct. The order sheet on the car did not include FSD or unlimited LTE. The Tesla rep who gave the runthrough of the car told me that based on when the car was sold, that I *should* have unlimited LTE, so I counted that as a bonus but didn't expect it.

After Tesla started enforcing LTE subscriptions, mine never changed and my car now shows that I have unlimited from the screen. I also noticed that car details window on tesla.com shows that I have unlimited, so PERFECT!

I also noticed that all of a sudden I show FSD on there. I have never purchased it, but it shows up on both the tesla website and the app. In fact, if I go to available upgrades, I don't have any upgrades and when I go to the "Purchased" tab, I see the complete invoice for FSD from the first owner of the vehicle. I know it is the original owner because the address that was setup as "home" on the car when I picked it up matches the invoice.

My car doesn't show any of the FSD features though. I've even reset to factory and resetup the car on my account and it won't show. I had the mobile tech out for another issue last week and was explaining how my account shows FSD but I don't have any of the features and he told me that I needed HW3 before those would show. I'm on 2.5 now and can enable autopilot, but don't have any other options (like summon). I kind of let him off the hook and didn't press the question.

I just got off the phone with the Plano, TX service center and they said they could see what I was talking about while not showing FSD on my account, but also not having any upgrades selectable because I somehow also DO have an FSD purchased tied to my account. They said to create a ticket and let them sort it out since it was something he couldn't do and worse case, they would ask me to bring it in. Of course I've already created a ticket a few weeks ago and they replied with "We just see you have purchased basic AP. Go to your upgrades tab to buy FSD" which isn't really what I asked.

Anyway, has anybody seen anything like this before? Odds of me getting FSD?

Attachments

• tlsa.PNG
    tlsa.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 81
I just purchased a used Model 3 with FSD but HW3 not installed yet. Because of the impact of COVID-19, CA DMV is processing many services - including title transfers - through their online "virtual office". I have confirmation that the request has been processed and payment ( use fees/sales tax ) accepted, I just know that it is going to take a while before I get the physical title with my name on it, meaning that I can't complete the transfer with Tesla yet or attach the car to my Tesla account. I'm sure it will be another few weeks at least.

Since FSD is attached to the VIN, what does everyone think about the probable success rate of getting HW3 install scheduled even without Tesla completing the transfer request yet. I did go to my local service center and ask, but was told by a tech that he would expect that the transfer request needs to be completed first by Tesla before it could be scheduled.

I'm a rather patient guy and don't need this tomorrow or anything. But we do have a 1500 mile road trip coming up in mid-July and having HW3 installed to use all FSD features would be fantastic.

Well, nevermind! Got a response from Tesla and the car was added to my account with the conditions above. I just had to send enough documentation.

I was already able to schedule the appointment for the HW3 upgrade: set for June 18th. Will let everyone know if there are any setbacks next week. I'm in Orange County, CA.

Palo Alto, CA: I have a Nov ‘18 LR RWD. Sent a mobile request for upgrade on Sun 5/31. Got a text this morning 6/1 saying there were no parts available and booking me for 7/13 to hold a spot. Then... got a call later this morning 6/1 saying parts arrived and booking me for a mobile appt. Jun 8. Awesome! I’ll update with my experience.
Upgrade happened yesterday (6/8) as promised. Mobile service in my driveway. Took 2.5 hours. All settings were preserved (tech said they backup before and restore after installation). Home Link seemed preserved but didn't work. I had to reprogram it. Not a big deal. Navigation data updated immediately and after driving for 10 min on the freeway, cameras were calibrated and ready to go. The only option that remains unavailable is "Traffic and stop sign control".

Interestingly, my software version reverted to 2020.16.2.1 after having previously been on 2020.20.5 on the old computer. Nav data is now NA-2020.12-11866.

Overall, I'm very happy with the mobile upgrade process.

Anyone had any luck getting a HW3.0 upgrade on the East Coast? Openings Mills is my service center. M3LR, purchased March 2019. I tried a month ago to get an appointment and they said no parts (COVID impacts and such). Anyone know if they are performing upgrades?

Reactions: jroydog
Anyone had any luck getting a HW3.0 upgrade on the East Coast? Openings Mills is my service center. M3LR, purchased March 2019. I tried a month ago to get an appointment and they said no parts (COVID impacts and such). Anyone know if they are performing upgrades?

I am in NJ. Used the Princeton SC and just got mine done the other day. You have to be persistent. Keep setting up appointments. They will eventually order your HW3 hardware.

I got email in my Tesla app inbox that i can make appointment for HW3 service upgrade, made an appointment for HW3 upgrade in couple of weeks. Looks like i will have to drive to Tesla service Center, not sure if mobile service will roll to my hood since i am 2-3 miles away. Excited to test this.