Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long has the process taken for everyone? I've heard an hour to multiple days but I'm not sure if those longer ones have been S/X or not.
From reading this thread over the last couple of months, your estimate of the time it takes for the HW3 upgrade seems to be accurate. In my case, 90 minutes in my driveway. Assuming nothing goes wrong and they don't do a map upgrade and test drive, I'd say the average time is just over an hour of actual work. If the car is taken to a service center, the time will probably expand some due to interruptions and delays in communications.

Reactions: camthehombre
So my upgrade was done couple days back. Went pretty smoothly, the technician was super nice.

Not sure how long it took - about 2 hours, but I wasn't paying attention to exact time. He said my car went very easy while the car he did right before was a lot more difficult; don't know why, build date maybe.

I ask him to preserve my settings and he mostly did. I had to reset the WiFi which was no big deal. He recalibrated the windows afterwards so I had no issue with those. He tried to preserve the HomeLink settings - and it was still on the screen afterwards however it wasn't working. I had to delete and re-create it in order to make it work. (Someone just posted on reddit that they need to do a special upgrade for HomeLink after installing HW3 or it doesn't work at all. I guess my guy did that cause it worked after I re-added). I believe all other settings were preserved, not 100% sure.

I have an April 2018 build and got my paperwork for this upcoming Monday and it mentions the electrical rework needing to be done. Hopefully settings and preferences are transferred over for me. Not the end of the world if it isn't though.
How long has the process taken for everyone? I've heard an hour to multiple days but I'm not sure if those longer ones have been S/X or not.
Just over 2 hours in my garage.

Kudos to the Dania Beach Service Center for the mobile upgrade to FSD for my 2019 Model 3. The whole experience was first rate and nearly flawless. I was really impressed. When they arrived I commented that I was surprised to be able to do this at my house, and they told me this was their first mobile installation. I was worried about being the guinea pig, but everything went smoothly. Here are the details in case anyone is interested. The picture of the new HW isn't great, but thought I'd post anyhow.

- Scheduled via app July 2 (see Full Self-Driving Computer Installations).
- Earliest date was July 22 for mobile service.
- Received followup texts on July 3 and 15.
- Received emails about every 4 days regarding the status of parts ordered.
- Received a text on morning of the install regarding weather since it was raining.
- Technician called me 30 minutes before arriving and arrived within the scheduled time window.
- Received a text when they pulled up and another once they left.
- Took them 1 hour 25 minutes.
- There were 2 people originally (wearing masks) and another in second vehicle showed up later for some reason.
- All settings were saved except for Bluetooth and Homelink.
- The technician texted me later that day to tell me that I may have to reprogram the Bluetooth and Homelink (since she had told me they were able to save all settings).
- They also replaced coolant as mine was low and the computer needs it. There was a puddle on the floor after they left, but no big deal. I actually texted the service center and the technician (since I didn't know at the time why it was there). Both responded promptly and explained what it was for and that it must have spilled.

After less then stellar experiences on initial vehicle delivery and a couple other service center experiences (mainly filthy loaner cars inside and out), this was finally the type of service I'd expect from Tesla. Oh and the new FSD features are pretty cool too!
FSD_HW3.jpg

Attachments

• 20200722_102208.jpg
    20200722_102208.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Anyone had any luck getting a HW3.0 upgrade on the East Coast? Openings Mills is my service center. M3LR, purchased March 2019. I tried a month ago to get an appointment and they said no parts (COVID impacts and such). Anyone know if they are performing upgrades?
Just got my HW3 installed on 7/21 on Long Island, NY..... Plainview SC. No drama or issues. Just had to reconnect my WIFI.

I had an appointment in Princeton back in April. They didn't have the confirmed loaner for me and there was nowhere to wait, so I told them I would reschedule. I now have a confirmed mobile visit for Tuesday, August 4th. It's been confirmed for 10 days. Just mentioning it because I haven't heard of anyone in my area getting a mobile service appointment for FSD computer.

I had an appointment in Princeton back in April. They didn't have the confirmed loaner for me and there was nowhere to wait, so I told them I would reschedule. I now have a confirmed mobile visit for Tuesday, August 4th. It's been confirmed for 10 days. Just mentioning it because I haven't heard of anyone in my area getting a mobile service appointment for FSD computer.

I got mine done at Princeton in June and they were not doing mobile service back then. My guess is they are slowly rolling out to all areas.

Mobile Service came out for install this morning. Arrived 15 minutes early and got right to work. Took just under 2 hours start to finish. Now I get to anxiously wait to get off work to try it out. He said everything transferred over except sometimes Bluetooth and wifi don’t transfer correctly. 04/2018 build

Just checked my appointment in the app and it has changed from the 4th to the 7th. I got no other notice of this change.

Had upgrade done today by mobile tech (Tysons, VA SC) at my house after ordering a year ago almost to the day. Took about an hour and he also replaced a taillight. All settings were retained except for wifi and bluetooth AFAICT. I found the glovebox dampener not working after tech left so he's coming back later to fix that. Software update 28.6 was also installed but is still also showing as downloading. Hoping it clears after staying reconnected to wifi for a while.

The technician said the camera calibration is quicker if you drive faster speeds. So, I drove about 8 miles on the interstate possibly exceeding the lawful speed limit. The calibration progress indicator is a blue circle around the autopilot steering wheel icon located on the upper left of the screen, below the speed indicator. My interstate driving took the indicator to about 80%. The remainder of my diving was 45-60 m.p.h. The blue circle was complete after 14 miles and I got a beep and message on the screen saying the calibration was complete.
Once the calibration is complete you need to go to the main menu, select Autopilot, then enable “Traffic Light and Stop Sign Visualization Preview (Beta)” as well as “ Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview (Beta)” You will need to select “Yes” on the dialog box that includes the statement “ Visualizations are not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.” This statement is for software version 2020.28.6 and earlier. Some people in the early release program (with newer versions) may not have that statement.

Just got mine installed by mobile service this morning in Maryland. It took about 1h15 and just needed wifi and the garage door opener set back up. It looks like the computers come with the latest map already installed now because 2020.12 was already there. I did the calibration drive and got in my first auto stop at a red light before I got home.