Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I took advantage of the latest FSD sale that happened this year and i have all packages but wait for the HW3 retrofit. Anyone else who purchased during the latest discount get the actual hardware update? I setup an appointment requesting it a few weeks after my FSD purchase and Tesla support closed it with a "we will contact you type email". So wait times are generally 4-6 months after purchasing? or luck of the draw? Thanks all. Doug

Hey guys, I took advantage of the latest FSD sale that happened this year and i have all packages but wait for the HW3 retrofit. Anyone else who purchased during the latest discount get the actual hardware update? I setup an appointment requesting it a few weeks after my FSD purchase and Tesla support closed it with a "we will contact you type email". So wait times are generally 4-6 months after purchasing? or luck of the draw? Thanks all. Doug

I purchased mid April. Took a few times of them cancelling (they told me to keep trying every couple of weeks) to finally get an appt. that stuck in June when they got the part in. You have to keep trying and calling and asking them to order the part.

Eventually you will get it.

Good luck!

Tesla is working on HW 4.0 self-driving chip with TSMC for mass production in Q4 2021, report says - Electrek

I'm scheduled for the HW 3.0 computer retrofit on 8/28/20. Does anyone think there will be any point in waiting for more news on HW 4.0 and whether or not it will be compatible with our cars? I'm going to keep my Model 3 for a long time, so I'd wait till Q1 2022 if that means I'll get a HW 4.0 computer, but I'll keep my retrofit appointment if HW 3.0 is the best our cars will ever be able to handle.

This past Monday, August 24th, I used the app to schedule my upgrade. I had not heard from Tesla, but thought I would give it a try. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't know if it mattered, but I indicated that it was already paid for and the date, which was a year ago. I choose the following Friday, five days later for the install. There was no push back with the date and time I selected. Today is Friday, the day of the install. The technician, Cody, called me to see if he could come earlier. That was fine with me. He had no problems with the install and was done in less than 90 minutes. All that needed to be reset was Wi-Fi. He was ready to help with garage door issues, but there were none. He kept me up to date as he completed aspects and answered all the questions I had. The whole process was very smooth and easy beginning to end.

Purchased FSD/HW3 when there was a $2K deal on it. 2018 TM3
Scheduled appt for this month via mobile for Indianapolis and they sent an invoice for $1,874.25 ?!?! Seems like a mistake.
Sent them the $2K paid invoice to see if they can send another one that is for $0.

Recent invoice looks like mistake.
EhUlzDa.jpg

3/9/2019 $2K FSD purchase

Q96YFiU.jpg

I always ignore all non-zero invoices from Tesla service that I get ahead of appointments.

They never care if you "sign" em or not- though they hope you do so they have pre-approval to bill you if whatever you scheduled for turns out to not be covered already by warranty or something else (as your HW3 upgrade would be covered by your FSD purchase).

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My 2018 RWD LR was upgraded to the 3.0 hardware. I drove a 2.5, before I drove the 3.0 and it felt like it had a little more power and the additions of the self-driving works great and I am glad I have it. The latest update with stop signs, stop lights, etc. is great with the self-driving.

Coming late to thread, but adding my experience since there might be some in SoCal that are still waiting ....

I scheduled for a mobile service thru the app. on a Sunday. Got a slot 2 days later. Appt was confirmed minutes later. Received ‘invoice’ next day. Mobile tech arrived early day of. Work was done in my driveway, and HW3/FSD install and TSB for charge pins were completed w/in 75 mins. Tech was proficient and chill, explained and answered any questions. No issues w/ settings; backup done before other work started. Afterwards, cameras calibrated w/in a 15-mins/10-miles. Easy breezy. Another smooth Tesla service experience.

Last edited:
Tesla is working on HW 4.0 self-driving chip with TSMC for mass production in Q4 2021, report says - Electrek

I'm scheduled for the HW 3.0 computer retrofit on 8/28/20. Does anyone think there will be any point in waiting for more news on HW 4.0 and whether or not it will be compatible with our cars? I'm going to keep my Model 3 for a long time, so I'd wait till Q1 2022 if that means I'll get a HW 4.0 computer, but I'll keep my retrofit appointment if HW 3.0 is the best our cars will ever be able to handle.

Hope you kept the retrofit appointment! If Tesla thought it was going to be "worth" waiting and that you'd even get this next chip for free (if it's real), then they wouldn't even bother with the appointments (it's a lot of work). This next chip could be more like a HW 3.1 if that makes sense - maybe power improvements more than anything, perhaps something they wouldn't even make a big deal about publicly.

Hi all

I'm scheduled to get my upgrade this coming wed at syosset in NY. At the shop, not a mobile upgrade.
How long does it take these days to do the upgrade? (M3 FSD purchased w/ car in Nov 2018)
Can we wait inside or do we have to leave while the work is being done?

Thanks!

Hope you kept the retrofit appointment! If Tesla thought it was going to be "worth" waiting and that you'd even get this next chip for free (if it's real), then they wouldn't even bother with the appointments (it's a lot of work). This next chip could be more like a HW 3.1 if that makes sense - maybe power improvements more than anything, perhaps something they wouldn't even make a big deal about publicly.

Yes, I kept my appointment.

Finally got HW3 upgrade. I had scheduled a remote look at the battery degradation and tech said part is available, bring it in tomorrow. Brought in the morning and car was ready in under 3 hours. As others said, for me all the settings were retained minus homelink, it was there but did not work, had to delete and add it gain as well as add it to wifi, showed up with a new MAC address. After enabling settings for streetlight lights and such, my visualization is very cool. I was hoping that maybe backup camera or other side cameras would come up faster, but it does not seem to be the case so far. This was done in Van Nuys, CA, my VIN 57K

I purchased the upgrade from EAP to FSD when it was offered for 3K a few months ago but hadn't pushed for a retrofit because I didn't want to take the car to a SC. But the mobile service handles the upgrade just fine now. I requested the service this past Tuesday and it was installed today! I never expected it to be so fast, I would have tried sooner.

I had the upgrade accomplished last week. Denver SC said it needed to be done in-house because they had found that many customer's WiFi integrity was an issue in the firmware update. They also said that doing them in batches in-house was more efficient. It was done in about 3 hours. Smooth experience. Had to reset seats/mirrors/phone connection and homelink.

• Informative
Reactions: Rob D