Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 improvement wish list, additions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoying my Model 3, but like everything else, it could use some improvements. Some could be done now and some will have to be done for newer versions of the car. All of these can be found in a Honda Accord touring for more than $20,000 less than the Model 3.

1. Spotify - now please! Software update? As a popular Tesla fan youtuber's wife stated recently "Slacker blows" - I've heard Spotify is used by Tesla in Europe, why can't we get it here? Shouldn't this be doable through an over the air update? The Model 3 stereo is awesome, it's just a shame the inputs are not flexible. Spotify has about 150 times more paying subscribers than Slacker and there are good reasons for that.
As Revenues and Subscribers Fall, Slacker Radio Acquired by LiveXLive for $50 Million
2. Apple Car Play would be awesome too. If you've ever used this, it vastly improves the capabilities of most infotainment systems and slowly but surely most car makers are adding this functionality (Toyota and Lexus have been holdouts but will start next year, and at least some of this year's models will be able to add it with a software update). A car salesman recently told me this has become a litmus test for many new buyers.
CarPlay - Available Models
3. Keyfobs - I really enjoy using my iPhone to interact with the car and nothing wrong with the key card as an emergency backup, but a real keyfob would be an excellent addition - probably should be included with the car, but I'd buy one now.
4. Heads Up Display (HUD) - although the clean lines of the Model 3 are wonderful, it would be much more ergonomic to have a good HUD. If someone ever comes up with an aftermarket one that works well with the Model 3's interior, I'll buy it. Form should not win out over function in an automobile.
5. Ventilated seats - if you've ever had the pleasure of good ventilated seats on a hot summer day, then you will sorely miss them in the Model 3, especially on a long road trip. Probably should be part of any premium package?
6. Interior material and color choices. Tan leather (or vegan leather) with ventilated seats in a red Model 3 would be beautiful and much more comfortable.

Any additions to this list?

I'm with you on the HUD x1000. I really thought that was going to be included when Elon said, "expect something futuristic.

Better cabin insulation to reduce road noise.
Voice activated climate control settings.

Carplay is great for rental cars where you can plug in and get a familiar interface; in my own car, I would prefer a better integrated system with the vehicle.

I miss my ventilated seats - my last two cars had them and they are amazing (turning on the A/C early enough on hot days will cool down the seats so at least the pleather is cool when you sit down). I don't miss the keyfob.

What I would like is Calendar Sync (like the S/X) and Apple Watch integration so I can drive the car with only my watch on me.

- 360 degree camera

- Music Equalizer presets - rock, alt, stadium etc. I'm no audiophile and the basic setting is challenging.

- Ability to set Destination inside app before getting in car

- Cupholder adjustments or flaps or inserts to hold small coffee cups like Starbucks

Reactions: alseTrick
I probably have a few to add but I'm so new to the car (got it Saturday) that I'm still too much in love it to offer any suggestions right away. I will address the ones people have brought up so far. By the way, even if I say I don't need a feature, I can still understand why others might want it.

1. Spotify - probably right but haven't missed it so far as TuneIn supplements as well. I've not found any real lack of entertainment yet but will probably find some going forward.

2. Apple Car Play - not a big fan of the early implementations although I will admit that it probably has gotten better. I don't find myself needing it when the car already does most of what I need. By the way, I accidentally discovered Siri can be triggered and the audio goes over the car and it works much faster than in other cars I've tried.

3. Keyfobs - I was worried about the phone as a key interface but have not had any issues yet (knock on wood). In fact I am getting so used to it that I forget to take the car keys when I am driving our other cars!

4. Heads Up Display (HUD) - I was worried about the single center display but have not found any issues with the interface so far. I cannot believe how quickly I have adapted to this new interface. We will see how well the wife does as she has been away and will see the car for the first time on Saturday.

5. Ventilated seats - I've never had them so I have no opinion. I have heard that others just love their ventilated seats.

6. Interior material and color choices. Would have loved other interior colors but I do find the black (really almost a charcoal gray) is great looking and the interior materials are better than I expected after reading many comments in these forums.

7. Better cabin insulation - agree as the road noise could be reduced. It isn't bad but it could be better.

8. Voice activated climate control settings - would love this as the voice recognition appears to be very good right now. I have heard that more is coming for voice control in the future and I cannot wait!

9. Calendar Sync - not sure how much I would use this but I guess I don't know what I'm missing if I've never had it.

10. Apple Watch integration - don't have an Apple Watch but would probably get one if this was implemented!

11. 360 degree camera - no opinion as I am not sure if this is for interior or exterior and would need to know more about its intended use.

12. Music Equalizer presets - I like the current settings and so I wouldn't need it.

13. Ability to set Destination inside app before getting in car - sounds like a great feature that should be there. I can do this today with my 2012 Leaf and Google.

14. Cupholder adjustments - I don't need these.

Nice idea for a thread.

Reactions: TigaFF
Power lift gate - this would be super helpful when loading with hands full of bags etc

Dashcam and security cam mode - Given all the cameras this car has, we've all talked about having a dash cam mode option. I think it would also be useful to have a "security mode" when you park your car at the store. You could capture someone vandalizing or hitting your camera or even have it set to flash the lights or honk the horn if it detects any impacts (or have it send you a photo or video clip and you can open your app to see a "live" video stream and activate your horn and lights.

Higher rear seats/better angle - seats currently too low to the ground for long trips.

Adjustable seat headrests - Already on the S, now bring it to the 3.

Tilt for main screen - would be nice to be able to rotate up/down and left/right tilt

Better solution for emergency door release (so people don't keep using them by accident)

Voice controlled climate!

Passenger seat profiles. We fight over who gets to drive so when I lose I’d like to not have to adjust it all the time.

Climate staying on when I run into a store for five minutes. Don’t want to have to open the app to turn it on all the time in these cases.

My top 10 requests:

1) Premium option: HUD integrated into/on windshield showing speed, speed limit, AP follow distance, blind spot warnings, navigation directions
2) Better cabin insulation to reduce road noise
3) Higher rear seats
4) Better blind spot detection + warnings
5) Spotify (or support for wireless Carplay and AndroidAuto which support Spotify)
6) Driver profile selection linked to driver phone
7) Addition to existing premium interior package: ventilated seats
8) Ability to set AP to detect and read speed limit signs, overriding map-based speed limits, and automatically adjust to changes in speed limits
9) Scheduled cooling and pre-heating (e.g., heat to 68 degrees or cool to 74 degrees by 7am)
10) More voice control options (e.g., open glove compartment, increase follow distance)

Last edited:
  • Keyfob. (And fix the bug where the button on the charge connector won't release the connector unless the car is already unlocked.)
  • More steering wheel and/or stalk controls (for wiper controls, changing audio source, etc.)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • True blind spot alert
  • Near zero vampire drain
  • Energy use information display (beyond the simple trip meter)
  • Optional retractable moonroof
  • More options for scheduling charging
  • Add an "auto" setting for heated seats
  • Redesign phone dock to allow for not-paper-thin cases

Last edited: