Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in 2018 or wait until early 2019 for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point it looks like I will miss the $7500 (probably not $3750) waiting for dual motor anyway. I'd rather have a small SUV than a 4 door sedan (never owned one) so I am open to the idea depending on the timing.
from Model 3 reveal to when i'm "estimated by Tesla" to get mine is 2 entire years. Model Y has not had a reveal, so at least late 2020, more likely 2021.

Wait.
Unless there's a specific problem that would cause you to have to replace your vehicle earlier.
(E.g. my plan is to replace my Prius in 2019, but I'd bring my purchase forward in order to get the tax credit.)

I suspect that they'll allow reservations to be transferred to a different vehicle. I'd keep the reservation and then defer it or cancel it when your turn comes up.

Model Y won't happen until Tesla brings another factory online. They simply do not have enough room to produce another high volume model in Fremont unless they decide to cut Model 3 production targets in half. The best case scenario I can foresee would be initial deliveries late 2019 with volume in 2020. Worst case would be along the lines of the Model S to Model X gap, which would push things out another year.

Either way, I don't expect Tesla to reveal any concept or details of Model Y until Model 3 production is fully ramped and the backlog is cleared. If you can afford it, get a Model 3 for now and upgrade to a Model Y once it's available. It'll make the wait go by a lot faster.

Reactions: Brad_SC and ChadS
from Model 3 reveal to when i'm "estimated by Tesla" to get mine is 2 entire years. Model Y has not had a reveal, so at least late 2020, more likely 2021.

And Model Y's design is no where near final.
As of a few months ago, Elon was still thinking of using a totally new platform for Model Y; and he just changed his mind recently to use Model 3's platform.
This shows that nothing has been finalized for Model Y design, and this means a 2019 release is extremely unlikely.

Easy answer: The Model 3 Trunk is not practical. Difficult to load bicycle, stroller, big boxes...

:rolleyes: I've lived with 5 cubic feet of oddly shaped trunk space since 2002, the Model 3 trunk will be more than practical.
IMG_7055.jpg

Bicycles, strollers, suitcases, etc. will fit. Not as many as in an S, but the S trunk area is also bigger.

I own a sedan and minivan. Have had a 5 seat SUV in the past. Owning a sedan really isn't a big deal unless you routinely carry tall objects. Strollers fold. A wheelchair light enough to pick up also folds. Bikes are flat when laid on the side. Suitcases can go on their sides as well.

I don't own a 5 seat SUV because its trunk doesn't carry much more than a midsize sedan. Even with a full size SUV, you can't fit much more than a minivan if even that. The people might have a little more room, but you're better off with a minivan if you carry more than 4 passengers and luggage (like an airport run). The only SUVs that can carry more people + stuff than my minivan are the Suburban or extended Expedition (whatever it's called). Even a "full" sized SUV like the Tahoe or Sequoia has a trunk area that is pathetic (especially the Tahoe), and I get 30+ mpg vs what, 19 mpg if you're lucky?

That really just leaves looks. I do agree that SUVs have a cooler image than a minivan. However, I think the X looks pretty ugly to be honest and I expect the Y to look like a smaller X, just like the 3 is like a smaller S.

Dumping 12V architecture is interesting. It makes it tough to source parts from other suppliers, since all cars still pretty much run their locks, stepper motors, light bulb bits using 12V, and have for ages. Volvo's "No more ICE" announcement, included 48V hybrid, which never took off in the industry as a stepping stone between only ICE and full-hybrid (non-PHEV). I don't know why OEM economics would work now, since li prices are so far down that simply going to hybrid would seem to be a lower cost jump. In any event, that Tesla is considering a higher voltage bus makes you wonder what they're after. Efficiencies? Thinner, cheaper copper? Better component performance, at higher voltage? Will it be 48V? Are they going to make that many more things, themselves??

Personally, the weird BMW X6 shape has grown on me, as something utility oriented that wouldn't look out of place in Tesla's lineup. It would have a nice, big, hatch.

Since they are staying with the Model 3 frame are you sure they will dump the 12v architecture? I would doubt it.

Doubtful, that would only slow bringing the Y to market. I think the Y will be 12v just like the 3. Elon said the 3 and Y will share a large percentage of parts of I remember correctly from the most recent ER conference call.