Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in Extreme Heat and No Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! Im heading to vegas in late May for a festival with my LR Model 3 where temps will be around 95 degrees. I wont have access to my car or a charger for 5 days and it will be parked out in the open on asphalt. I'm worried about how much range i'm going to lose and if this is possible. Anyone have any experience with this also? I plan on arriving with at least 80-90%

If you are leaving Sentry active then you can figure about 2 mph drain on the battery or at least that is what I have noticed when I leave sentry on and not plugged in. So you are looking about 240 lost from sentry alone. This would leave (based on 80% start point) about 60 miles left for any other drain over the 5 days.

If you have a chance before your trip to Vegas (Burning Man?) and can park the car for a day and set sentry mode then leave the car unplugged and don't access the Tesla app or anything else that would wake the car up and see what the drain is. That will give you a figure to work with.

With no cabin overheat, no sentry, no excessive app activation I really don't even see why this is a concern. Cabin will get hot but under the cat at 95f I really doubt the battery will need any cooling.
Agree completely. As long as you don't have some high drain thing going on, like the cabin overheat protection, 5 days is nothing to worry about.
And yeah: 95 degrees "extreme heat" LOL.

Probably won't need more than 20% to get to a charger, if it somehow squanders all of its energy. There are a few Superchargers in the Las Vegas area. 95F is not a big energy drain, although Cabin Overheat Protection might activate if you don't turn it off. Fan only should be fine, but I haven't tried it yet.

My X sits in our garage at 95F+ in Arizona with no noticeable extra drain over something like 70F.

Hi, I think it would be a good idea for Tesla to add a "Long Sleep Mode" where you just activate that and everything that could drain the battery would shut off, instead of shutting all of those things independently (you could forget one, or not deactivate one you didn't knew was draining the battery).