Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in Snow/Ice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours did well on a wintry trip fro California to Denver. I80 was intermittently closed for ice and snow, but we got through.

I recommend snow socks. We needed those when chains were required.

20230116_101711.jpg

I can say that my M3 LR/AWD with CrossClimate 2 AS tires does alot better in moderate snow than my BMW 328xi (also AWD) with Pirelli Soto 3 snow tires.
Whether the M3 does in "smart" handling its AWD makes it much more stable than BMW's AWD.

Of course, if there is NO traction then the snow tires undoubtedly win. But if there is *some* traction, albeit uneven, the M3 AWD "smarts" clearly wins, or at least does very well.

I can say that my M3 LR/AWD with CrossClimate 2 AS tires does alot better in moderate snow than my BMW 328xi (also AWD) with Pirelli Soto 3 snow tires.
Whether the M3 does in "smart" handling its AWD makes it much more stable than BMW's AWD.

Sorry, this makes NO sense whatsoever.
Other than the common sense aspect of this comment, I can add 3+ decades of driving RWD and AWD vehicles, including in snow in NE.
I currently have an AWD, and RWD, and a FWD car in my garage. Including a Tesla, and a BMW. And winter tire sets for all three of them.

Quality traction in low grip environment is the ONLY thing that matters.
And unless you have a servant who is always pre-driving all your routs, the ONLY way to be safe over snow or ice covered roads is drive on tires that optimize what little traction is available to you.

Common sense, right?

a

Reactions: coleAK

Of course, if there is NO traction then the snow tires undoubtedly win. But if there is *some* traction, albeit uneven, the M3 AWD "smarts" clearly wins, or at least does very well.
Traction control in my LR awd 3 is the worst of our vehicles. Our old 2004 MB e320 4matic will run circles around the Tesla on winter roads, even on older tires (Tesla has Hakka 9, MB has Hakka 7)