Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in Winter. Who's gonna tell the truth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 0.02 - also here in the USA many Tesla owners “justifiy” the buy due to saveing money on gas. And when the “savings don’t add up” they express frustration. Just look at how many times issues around power usage and range is mentioned on the forums... even with a 30% range loss not many people routinely drive >200 miles every day to and from work. The thing I really have come to appreacieate is every day I wake up with an 80% charge (4/5 “tank”)

It gets cold here, and I can imagine that Alaskans can appreciate not going to gas stations.
(Although, if you're in the Juneau, AK area it's warmer there in winter, particularly overnight.)

I agree that the information on cold weather EV use is not as front and center as it should be, much of that comes from the relatively small percentage of us that it affects though. When such a large percentage of cars at Cali based then so many more just being in the southern half of the country it is just a numbers game that relatively few of us are affected.

You will get used to the compromises and benefits. INSTANT heat is great.

Far as windows, your favorite rain repellent and ample preheat use.

Preheat does squat. After pre heat and 1.5 hours driving with heat blasting. 3 out 4 windows would not go down. It was 10F out.

They froze as we were driving.

I think what is happening is condensation forms around the edge of the window near where the gasket touches the glass. Then the condensation freezes the gasket to the glass.

Also did another experiment on this 120 mile trip at 10F. It was sitting around 320 wh/mi after a good 30 miles. Then I shut the heat off. Drove another 10 miles or so and it went right down to 250 wh/mi.

It’s not the battery or regen that causes losses. It’s the cabin heater using most of it.

I also tried recirculate for grins. The windshield fogged up in like 30 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
As for windows and doors freezing shut. I’ve always Used tire wet. An extremely lite coating on all the window and door seals.

upload_2018-11-22_20-25-12.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo