Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 inductive charging.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
Not sure on the charge rate but looks promising :D
IMG_1570.JPG

Speaking as a EE type: people look at all these wireless chargers for cell phones and the line, go “How cool!”, note that it seems effective and all that and somehow think that it’ll work well on cars.
In no particular order:
  • Speaking of phone chargers, there are a-gonna be losses. One has to go from the source voltage which is DC or 50/60 Hz city power to a couple hundred kHz where coupling antennas work well, then across an air/plastic gap, to another coil, which the energy has to be rectified, then converted back to DC to charge the batteries involved. Yep, it works. But one is going to lose at least 5% if one does heroics on the electronics and more likely up to 20% without the heroics (and cost). Nobody much cares about 5 hours for a cell phone wireless charge vs. 3 or 4 hours by direct electrical contact, heck, one’s probably asleep, anyway. But the car? Um. Time at a Supercharger sounds extreme.
  • Safety. There are tried and true methods of getting up to a MW from point A to B, but that’s all with blinking wires, lots of insulation, and staying away from any high frequency stuff. Magnetic charging involves fields. Yes, proper tight shielding between a couple hundred kW emitter and a receiver in a car can make it safe, in the sense that microwave ovens are safe. But this not, by any means, a car driving over a pad or something with an air gap between the car and the pad, then letting fly with some serious high power. People and wildlife will get fried. Maybe in a sealed metal hut with the doors electrically sealed tight? But if the whole point was to make recharging the car more convenient and/or less costly, all of the above seems contradictory. And less safe, to boot.
I’ve read Science Fiction stories where the Aliens had hit upon the idea of passing city power around as microwaves inside of waveguides. Fun story, it could work, but the adapters to our methods of distribution would be.. complicated. And that method had its own set of dangers: everybody learns about staying away from a downed power line at an early age on this planet; the Aliens would have their own set of problems with cracked microwave waveguides.
Short answer: don’t think a wireless charger for a reasonable electric car is going to happen in the next ten years or so. And the safety qualifications for same are going to be Other.

Successful POC trials already done in UK over many years. Still work in progress though, not from a technology perspective but from scaling and public/commercial viability.

Qualcomm Halo system seems to be quite well established. Latest trials seem to be MOLE TRL | MOLE trials of conductive EV charging

There was also going to be some in road (motorway) trials for charging on the move (likely commercial use only) but not sure what became of them. That was always going to be too expensive for non commercial use and I could never see the digging up of miles of a existing motorway lane a viable trial.

There was also going to be some in road (motorway) trials for charging on the move (likely commercial use only) but not sure what became of them. That was always going to be too expensive for non commercial use and I could never see the digging up of miles of a existing motorway lane a viable trial.
Have you seen the state of our motorways due to the highways agency? They are literally always dug up.

Reactions: Xdama
if the guy is claiming 98% efficiency and up is "not significant", then I agree

:)

I wouldn't pay for one at home if only for the convenience of not having to plug in a cable ... I use a CAT5 cable for network whenever I can rather than use WiFi ... but that's me!

But for in-street charging, rather than trailing cables near to pavement (and no doubt copper-theft will become an issue at some point ...) I was pleasantly surprised that losses seems to be "a couple of percent" ... assuming that will be borne out in reality with rollouts outside of a few carefully monitored test sites