Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 -- Inside the top of the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
What am I seeing here?

model3trunktop.jpg

People have speculated it’s several things:
  1. Vent to equalize pressure in the trunk.
  2. Vent to climate condition the trunk.
  3. Access port to the rear brake light (my preferred theory).
There were several posts on it over at the Model 3 owners club (including input from one of the owners), but no one knows for sure.

People have speculated it’s several things:
  1. Vent to equalize pressure in the trunk.
  2. Vent to climate condition the trunk.
  3. Access port to the rear brake light (my preferred theory).
There were several posts on it over at the Model 3 owners club (including input from one of the owners), but no one knows for sure.

I don't even understand the third one. It goes between the main cabin behind the rear seats and the trunk. How can it be an access port for anything?

The other one you didn't mention is that it lets more light into the trunk for when you are accessing it.

Need some way to replace the light.

model3-back-license1.jpg

Presumably you do that from below, inside the trunk. But there's clearly light coming through that space, so it's part of the panel behind the seats. So it leads from a place in the cabin you can easily reach from the back seats to a place in the trunk you can easily reach in the trunk. It doesn't really give access to anything.

Reactions: Topher
All cars have cabin vents and trunk vents. Normally not visible. This one is not visible from the top only the bottom looking up (from other posts). Makes it easier to close the last cabin door or the trunk if the doors are closed. Helps equalize pressure. Like in my house it’s more difficult to swing the house door closed into the garage if the garage doors are closed. Easy if the garage door/s are open.

If it's a vent doesn't that mean it needs to open? This looks more like a little window that doesn't open in any automatic way (I suppose, as with any car part you can somehow pry it off/open)

It’s not solid. It sounds like it’s more like a grill or mesh. The same grill or mesh that covers the rear speakers. It sounded like it’s one whole piece across the back and underneath that piece are speakers and the opening into the trunk.

Pictures of production Model 3s

At least you don't have to worry about carbon monoxide coming in from your trunk area into the cabin.

I was just watching a different video, the Model 3 Owners Club one, where they showed this. About 13:50 into the video and you see sky light through the area, which is actually quite a large area. I'd link to the video but clicked on it on Apple News and they don't show the direct link. I'm still having a bit of trouble actually visualizing where this is exactly on the car (definitely not on the trunk lid) and where it looks out to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevlan006