Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 -- Inside the top of the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks - I took delivery last week and this mesh is missing, instead there is what looks like a nice piece of cardboard in its place. Delivery manager checked with service and assured me this is standard in the new cars, no longer coming with the mesh. Anyone else experienced this? (will try to post a picture later today)

Folks - I took delivery last week and this mesh is missing, instead there is what looks like a nice piece of cardboard in its place. Delivery manager checked with service and assured me this is standard in the new cars, no longer coming with the mesh. Anyone else experienced this? (will try to post a picture later today)

My wife has Mode 3 from last July and she has the mystery hole. I got mine this June and, as above, it's got the cardboard thing, so no hole, but then again she has premium sound, whereas I have SR+, which does not. Don't know if those things are related.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My wife has Mode 3 from last July and she has the mystery hole. I got mine this June and, as above, it's got the cardboard thing, so no hole, but then again she has premium sound, whereas I have SR+, which does not. Don't know if those things are related.

Thanks for the data point, at least I'm not the only one. For the record I have premium sound as well (LR RWD), so probably not related.

I have the same cardboard looking thing in my performance which i took delivery on June 20. I contacted Tesla support
through the chat to ask if it was supposed to be the window thing. They said that the cardboard is the standard now. Also,
the support person called it the third brake light access panel for what it’s worth.

Mine was delivered 4/24

D11B38B9-F964-4162-B056-A6E1372A6AC1.jpeg

I just checked March 2019 SR+ build, I have the cardboard with the black screen covering it, what I also learned is that I have the two 4” midrange speakers on each side, not connected via software of course, but it’s good to know those are there. You can use a flashlight over the rear window and through the mesh top to see the speakers inside for those with the SR or SR+

Fred

Mesh was for sub woofer bass to enter cabin from trunk.
That may be one purpose, but I believe the primary purpose is as an exhaust vent for the HVAC system in combination with the exhaust flaps that are under the trim in the rear corners of the trunk. At least I haven't found any other exhaust vents in the cabin (the vents under the front seats seem to be for recirculation only). That's why I'd be surprised if they just blocked the rear deck vent completely since it would effectively kill the airflow in the cabin.

Reactions: G78M3