TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Insurance security features

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by strqaz, Aug 28, 2018.

1. strqaz

strqaz New Member

So I'm trying to shop around for my Model 3 (coming September 1st!!!) insurance and I can't seem to find a specific answer(every answer differs) to the list of security features the car has. Right now the Geico quote page I'm on right now has the following options:

- No Device
    - Alarm only or active disabling device
    - Passive disabling device
    - Etching only
    - Passive Device and Etching
    - Alarm And/Or Active Devices & Etching

I'm assuming the 3 qualifies for the last one right? since it has the VIN etched, car alarm, car tracker via the app (active device?). I've also seen people just go for the passive device and etching with the rationale that it would get them cheaper insurance as passive devices requires no human input

2. Sentry

Sentry Member

Wondering this as well

3. trm2

trm2 Member

VIN etching is when the VIN is actually etched into the glass on the car. I don't believe it comes like that from the factory - My MS certainly doesn't have it etched in the windows. Passive Disabling Device would be the best answer (and best for insurance because you can't forget to turn the alarm on.)

4. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Passive: GPS Monitoring (Tesla can track the car)

Active: Alarm & Mobile App

5. trm2

trm2 Member

The alarm is passive, you don’t need to set it.