Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with a Model S and a Model 3, how do the insurance costs compare between the two cars? Presumably the Model 3 should be less, as the car is much less expensive and not as aluminum intensive. I could see insurance companies gouging though, just because they can.

These generic figures aren't very helpful, tbh. Need to share coverages, credit score, driving history, etc.

I'll contribute in hopes it's helpful for someone in my area (Boston):

Amica
Age/Sex: early 30s male
Credit / Driving History: Both excellent/perfect
Cars: 2 (08 Jetta, 18 Tesla 3)
Other Discounts: Life Policy and Home Policy (multiline), E-discount, autopay discount, + car specific discounts for safety features
Coverages:
---$250/$500 (for each bodily liability to others, bodily coverage for self from uninsured motorist, and bodliy coverage for self from underinsured motorist)
---$8k PIP
---$250k property damage liability
---$1k deductible for collision and comprehensive
---no towing, no rental car

Tesla 3 was $1239/yr, but also reduced my Jetta cost by $65. Net increase about $1175 which doesn't seem bad given my high coverages.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
These generic figures aren't very helpful, tbh. Need to share coverages, credit score, driving history, etc.

I'll contribute in hopes it's helpful for someone in my area (Boston):

Amica
Age/Sex: early 30s male
Credit / Driving History: Both excellent/perfect
Cars: 2 (08 Jetta, 18 Tesla 3)
Other Discounts: Life Policy and Home Policy (multiline), E-discount, autopay discount, + car specific discounts for safety features
Coverages:
---$250/$500 (for each bodily liability to others, bodily coverage for self from uninsured motorist, and bodliy coverage for self from underinsured motorist)
---$8k PIP
---$250k property damage liability
---$1k deductible for collision and comprehensive
---no towing, no rental car

Tesla 3 was $1239/yr, but also reduced my Jetta cost by $65. Net increase about $1175 which doesn't seem bad given my high coverages.

I agree. These numbers people are stating don't really mean anything without context. Liability coverage premiums are going to vary widely depending on demographics, driving history, and location. Adding the Model 3 to a policy probably won't increase those amounts that much. The annual comp/collision premiums covering damage to the car itself are probably a little more important to know.