Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW comparing auto insurance rates across state lines (and sometimes even across zip codes within a state) is pretty useless data

From what I've seen there's folks in CA for example in a minivan paying more with 20+ years of perfect driving than an 18 year old with a sports car does here.

I live in a state with high auto rates and have two young boys in the family. At first, I found the rates that AAA in NM wanted to charge to be unbearable ($717/mo to add the M3!) After shopping around, we got a reasonable quote from Travelers. After more searching, we found Root (a new carrier) which was less than $200/mo more for the M3. We don't have our M3 yet, but their rates are saving us $4000/yr vs. AAA on our 2 existing cars.

The bottom line is that rates vary a lot, depending on your situation, but if you don't think you've got a good price after looking at a few carriers, then keep looking. In fact, even if you do think you have a good price, it's probably worth it to keep looking. There's a lot more variation between the carriers I looked at than I would have expected.

I believe that article is a bunch of bogus. I am shopping around for insurance as well and my rates are nowhere near what they claim to be the average. Of course it depends on driver profile, location etc.

In my experience GEICO seemed to have better rates than Liberty for the same coverage. I currently have my BMW 335 insured with Geico and Ducati with Liberty. I thought of consolidating all of them under Liberty but they were asking twice the amount for the BMW than GEICO, whereas GEICO has better rate overall if I have both the cars with them. I will probably check Costco Ameriprise and pick one.

I just called my insurance company. My 2011 VW CC is $700, my 2017 Jeep Summit (MSRP of $54K) is $800.
Their estimated is between $1600.00 and $1800.00 There goes a good chunk of fuel savings.

My Model 3 insurance with GEICO isn’t expensive, actually it’s less than it was for my Model S. Also Tesla service centers have nothing to do with repair costs that accident insurance would cover— that work would be done by independent body shops that are authorized by Tesla.
How much is you Geico insurance for Model 3 they quoted me $200 and we have 5 vehicles insured

Holy #*@! I feel like I won some kind of insurance lottery. I updated my insurance today for Progressive and with maxed out coverages (minus rental or medical) and $500 deductibles it is $399 for a 6 month term - $67 a month. That's for a Performance VIN - though it doesn't seem to differentiate - at least not yet.

My quote is $13/Month more than my 2007 Xterra. I imagine it's much higher for younger, single drivers with some speeding tickets/accidents on their record but for someone that's married, over 35, and has a clean record for 15+ years it's very reasonable. I use Progressive, by the way.

Let me provide a Canadian data point.

I am being quoted $906 annually for my P3D+ with deductibles of $2500 for collision and $2250 for comprehensive, including 5-yr replacement cost coverage. I am paying $944 annually for a 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with deductibles of $200 for collision and $500 for comprehensive. Insurer is TD and I have group coverage through Engineers Canada.

Went from $750 for a Bolt EV on it's own plan...to adding the GF's HRV and the model 3 to the insurance and it only went up $300 every 6 months. Two grand for two cars for a year is reasonable to me. I'm in Delaware FWIW. I expected the Model 3 to add $1500 a year to the insurance...it definitely didn't do that. And we have good coverage too!

My Geico: $600/6 months
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.47.57 PM.png