Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I bought Model 3 and found out that its auto insurance is very expensive, much more higher than that of my Lexus RX450h. The increase of insurance totally wipes out the saving from gas bills! Does anyone know why?
We are in Overland Park, KS with new M3 LR/AWD and also have a 2014 Lexus RX450. To my surprise, State Farm cost was same for both at $390 each, for 6 months, after discounts.

I was shocked when geico quoted me $9k a year for full coverage on a 2015 model s p85d. I'm 35 with a clean record no points and in a great housing development, I drive about 15k miles a year. Whats crazy is i have never filled a claim in the 8 years I've had them. when I called an agent his response was "these cars are expensive to repair and lately there have been more claims on them". needless to say I will be looking for another ins company when i buy a p3d, hopefully people will stop wrecking them or premiums will skyrocket and make this car unobtainable.

I pay an obscene amount for insurance on 2 cars due to a 19-year-old son with an accident on his record. I was worried when I traded in an Audi RS3 for the Model 3 Performance, but the insurance went down by $250 a year versus the Audi. However, I think I was getting reamed on the Audi as it cost more to insure than my Porsche 911. Now at least the Tesla is a bit cheaper than the 911.

I don't really think percentage wise there really is that many wrecks though? I think the people misusing autopilot is what does it, but it is pretty much always user error and again the percentage is very small and they don't look at how many wrecks or lives it has stopped or saved! It is just newer technology that people don't know how to deal with so hopefully the premiums will change. It really should be lower since if you use it right it actually helps prevent many accidents. Think about how many autopilot accidents there are compared to regular accidents...The news reporting inaccurate information and only the bad stuff doesn't help

Long time follower to these forums, first time poster.

Geico is raising my premiums by over 50% in August when my policy renews. I have no accidents, no violations, nothing like that in my driving history. I called and the rep gave the same spiel re costs in CA have gone way up. Problem is I have rate shopped with 6 insurers and can't find another carrier that can beat Geico even with the increased premium (State Farm, All State, AAA, Nationwide, Farmers, Ameriprise). The biggest hike in my Geico coverage is to the collision coverage ($1k deductible) is ~$1k for 6 months!

$1500 for 6 months makes me wanna puke. I do pay for high coverage ($500k/$500k in liability but that isn't the problem, dropping to $200k only saves me about $30-50 spread over 6 months). It's the collision coverage to the Tesla Model 3 which is crazy

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks