Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior camera feed is included as part of “crash snapshots”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
This subject came up regarding the interior camera in the Model X crash thread, and I thought it deserved its own topic for discussion. Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

It's in the Model 3, but isn't actively used right now.

it's part of the crash snapshot and is logged, just not used for anything beyond that (at least when I last looked, which was some time ago)

This may be old news, but I hadn’t heard this info yet. I am a bit leery of the camera now, especially seeing how they used the car data in the recent crash to paint a narrative of the driver. (Follow distance was irrelevant, they said he had a clear view for 5 seconds). I had figured it would eventually be used for eyeball tracking for true hands free driving, which I am OK with.

Not so sure I am OK with it just being “on” for no apparent reason.

If you are referring to the Uber black & white driver video, i believe it came along with the front driving view from dashcams. The one on the driver looked to me like an IR interior camera that fleets typically install in their vehicles to monitor drivers and sometimes passengers--like that girl that was seen stealing a cab drivers tip money. The police got their hands on the material so quickly, it's another reason I think they just pulled it from a dashcam memory card.

The logging of the interior facing camera absolutely has to be tied to a user privacy setting. It's completely unacceptable if it isn't.

Some of us like myself would be perfectly okay with it being used to determine the root cause of an accident. Especially one involving my fatality.

Then there are people who are unequivocally against it.

The release of the information is also another thing Tesla needs to be a little more considerate about. Sure the following distance might not seem like such a big deal especially in California where people drive so close. But, it does paint the driver as if he was unsafe.

So what happens when a Model 3 crashes, and on the Tesla release there is a picture of the driver picking his nose right before some accident.

Reactions: SJC3 and Pkmmte
If you are referring to the Uber black & white driver video, i believe it came along with the front driving view from dashcams. The one on the driver looked to me like an IR interior camera that fleets typically install in their vehicles to monitor drivers and sometimes passengers--like that girl that was seen stealing a cab drivers tip money. The police got their hands on the material so quickly, it's another reason I think they just pulled it from a dashcam memory card.

No, this is about the interior camera on the Model 3, which is apparently on and recording now.

This subject came up regarding the interior camera in the Model X crash thread, and I thought it deserved its own topic for discussion. Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This may be old news, but I hadn’t heard this info yet. I am a bit leery of the camera now, especially seeing how they used the car data in the recent crash to paint a narrative of the driver. (Follow distance was irrelevant, they said he had a clear view for 5 seconds). I had figured it would eventually be used for eyeball tracking for true hands free driving, which I am OK with.

Not so sure I am OK with it just being “on” for no apparent reason.

Piece of painter's tape over the lens. Problem solved.

Looks like Tesla has added the data sharing opt- in/out to the Model 3.

Model 3 is now updated to record and send back external video clips for AutoPilot improvement. This is the opt-out page • r/teslamotors

So at least they are notifying us now.

that explicitly calls out the exterior cameras.

Tesla definitely should give us opt in/out options for the interior camera.

Keep in mind though that it's not all nefarious. If I somehow was in an accident where I hit a pedestrian, I would appreciate interior footage showing that I had my eyes on the road and not distracted on my phone or something.

Reactions: Blue in NC
that explicitly calls out the exterior cameras.

Tesla definitely should give us opt in/out options for the interior camera.

Keep in mind though that it's not all nefarious. If I somehow was in an accident where I hit a pedestrian, I would appreciate interior footage showing that I had my eyes on the road and not distracted on my phone or something.

Double edged sword. The camera could just as easily record you being distracted prior to an accident as well. That's why a self-installed dash cam is best. Use the recordings that help you, and delete the ones that don't. Lol

Agreed, it isn’t all nefarious. But I guess I am a little uncomfortable with the fact that I won’t control the information even if it helps me. I am guessing that getting the footage of not being distracted from Tesla for an insurance claim will be a bit difficult based on reports of folks who previously tried to get their logs after accidents. It would probably be better to install your own interior dash cam in that case.

Agreed, it isn’t all nefarious. But I guess I am a little uncomfortable with the fact that I won’t control the information even if it helps me. I am guessing that getting the footage of not being distracted from Tesla for an insurance claim will be a bit difficult based on reports of folks who previously tried to get their logs after accidents. It would probably be better to install your own interior dash cam in that case.
I shouldn't have to install any cameras. Tesla should make this all available to us anytime we want it. The car has like 8 cameras or something.

Reactions: lklundin
Double edged sword. The camera could just as easily record you being distracted prior to an accident as well. That's why a self-installed dash cam is best. Use the recordings that help you, and delete the ones that don't. Lol

I find this attitude very disturbing, you're basically saying that in a case where you were in the wrong you want to bury / obscure the truth as much as possible. How about you own up to it? Admit you did something wrong and save people the grief of dealing with someone who lies about the true cause of an accident?

If I cause an accident, I'll submit my own dashcam as evidence even if I was the cause, trying to hide the truth is not the right answer...

My two cents...

I find this attitude very disturbing, you're basically saying that in a case where you were in the wrong you want to bury / obscure the truth as much as possible. How about you own up to it? Admit you did something wrong and save people the grief of dealing with someone who lies about the true cause of an accident?

If I cause an accident, I'll submit my own dashcam as evidence even if I was the cause, trying to hide the truth is not the right answer...

My two cents...

Do you report yourself to the police every time you go 1 mph over the speed limit, do a California stop at a stop sign, jaywalk, and/or litter too?

I will submit my dashcam footage in that event to my lawyer and let them decide how to proceed in that case. I will not volunteer information that could be used against me directly to the authorities. I have served on a couple of criminal case juries before and have seen how that can go bad for folks. The cops are allowed to lie to you - watching the interrogation videos during my jury time was very enlightening.

Then AP should be disabled if this is done.
I'm betting it will become a requirement for AP that the interior camera is working.
Just like the GM Supercruise which checks that you're paying attention and not sleeping.
Much better than only checking the steering wheel.
All those work arounds to fake holding the steering wheel become obsolete instantly.