Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior: Ugh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else thinking that the screen jutting out just looks cheap and unfinished? Even at half the model S price, it's still an expensive vehicle compared to competitors in the 35-45k range offering quite a bit more interior finishing.

Maybe I'm hoping they will finally integrate the 15" somehow last minute and make it seem 'finished'.

Not a bolt. It could be an ICE car.
Fundamental misunderstanding what M3 is all about and where those half a million reservations came from.

Hint: they did not happen because M3 has nice rims, cool steering wheel or killer nav system. Those half a million reservations had it enough of tat ICE engine. You really think many would choose again to pay for suck, sqeeze, bang, blow? Prepare to be amazed again.

Fundamental misunderstanding what M3 is all about and where those half a million reservations came from.

Hint: they did not happen because M3 has nice rims, cool steering wheel or killer nav system. Those half a million reservations had it enough of tat ICE engine. You really think many would choose again to pay for suck, sqeeze, bang, blow? Prepare to be amazed again.
No. I am a Model 3 reservation holder. I ordered it hoping it will be an overall good package. EVs have good torque but bad range and charging time compared to gas cars. So it is a trade off. Many will cancel because of charging speed and frequency compared to gas cars. If I cancel it will be because of that.
Also, the interior is just too bland for my taste.
Many who reserved the model 3 reserved it because it it a nice car with autopilot. But many people don't actually need a car. I have an A4 and I will switch only if the Model 3 is overall a better car. Charging speed and interior quality also matter.
Yes EVs have better torque but that is not the only factor.

I was actually never too worried about the Model 3 interior - the speedo and the hatchback questions were eating me up more - but yesterday it hit me that I'm not quite sure I could "sell" the Model 3 to the family.

I mean, the falcon wings have already gotten plenty of "isn't this quite inconvenient" (I've adopted the "well, yes! they're crap" defense to shut down the conversation), and the first Tesla got the obligatory snide remarks whenever the lack of EV infrastructure - compounded by my laziness at home charging - caused some trouble (there I just blamed their lack of foresight)...

With Model 3 I'm actually concerned it is simply too weird inside. I'm not sure they'd like it. Model S/X still, those cars get the points for being cool, while having their quirks.

But a sedan with a weirdmobile dash and an odd speedo and a bulging glass passenger compartment. That might be the bridge too far even for my family. This is not a smaller, cheaper iteration of the Model S idea - Model 3 turned out to be something quite different.

I never expected to say or think this, but I'm not even sure I like the Model 3. Even with its craziness, I like the Model X. And I like plenty of small cheap premium cars, like the Audi A1. I even like the Volkswagen Up!. But I'm not sure I like the Model 3.

Last edited:
I like the Model 3 interior but the bright wood decor in the video is perhaps not what i would choose. It looks a lot better when it's darker:

model3config

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 09.03.30.png

Reactions: alseTrick

As with gowthamn I haven't reserved it because I am fed up with an ICE engine, I have reserved it because I love the MS and thought the M3 would follow the same "coolness" - the speed, the distance etc.

If this doesn't live up to my expectations I will not go through with the order and more than likely will just upgrade my ICE car. It started off well but the more time goes on the more "bored" I am of it and think to myself whether I do want to spend that amount of money on a car that I think is "just OK", unfortunately.

Would be good to have a survey on "Why do you want a M3?".

The thing about Model 3 that is getting to me is that I actually thought the biggest "threat" to me using Model 3 as a future ICE replacement were the competition. I.e. I-Pace seeming so inviting that I'd forgo exercising the Model 3 reservation...

Now I fear the reason might simply be Model 3 anti-selling itself. There would be nothing wrong with being a smaller, simpler, cheaper than Model S. But this car keeps piling on the weird factor the more we learn about it...

I will (try to) keep a cool head until unveil, though. It took a while for the production Model X to grow on me as well. And the hope still lingers that something is not yet unveiled that will make it all alright. No point in cancelling anything before the final unveil.