Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior: Ugh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's not pretend safety is paramount with his ideology over sexy and modern....
Disagree here. If you've listened to the guy talk over the years about those aspects of the S and X he's most proud, safety always crops up. It's not just talk, Teslas are consistently among the safest cars.

In one month we will all sit back and enjoy seeing how they came up with the final and drive it :)
Can't come soon enough just to get past the incessant speculation. Here's my own: The task of Franz Von Holzhausen and his Model 3 designers was to design an interior for an affordable FSD car and take advantage of what that major feature could bring to the equation. They did and revealed it over a year ago. Pencils down last July. Then the Mobileye breakup slowed Tesla's plans for FSD but they were not going to slip the Model 3 schedule nor increase costs and perhaps offer a S/X type of IC. So, what we can drive in a month or so may be a little too minimalist for many but it will eventually get to the point where, as Musk said "You won't care".

I for one, don't want a HUD. Tried the BMW HUD for a week and turned it off after a short time. TMI. I did a test with a speedo app on my phone and found the Model 3 location is no more distracting than the binnacle. Plus, I very very rarely even looked at the speed.

If I can get rid of the center console on my Model 3 to make it more like my Model S, I'll be a happy camper. That and when I do choose to steer I'd like it to be less numb. It's my only complaint of my S.

Hmmm...

Model 3 Floating Screen Is Riskiest Design Move Yet For Tesla

What the hell are you guys smokin’? I cannot beleive how everybody have such a short memory. ALL of you who beleive that the release candidate’s interior with a $99 floating screen display is the real thing are fools. Sorry to be so blunt! RC are the same as prototypes and Musk aint gonna show his cards yet, that is set for July. Musk never said what you see in the RC is the final interior, ever. He said quite the opposite in fact. ”Wait until you see the REAL STEERING CONTROLS and system for the 3, it feels like a spaceship, he said. For people complaining about the lack of display or HUD he said ”It will make sense AFTER the part 2 (3) of the reveal.
Remember Tesla hired Milan Kovac: Tesla's Latest Hire Hints At Model 3 Getting Advanced HUD
Remember Tesla also hired Félix Godard for designing the steering controls: (look for it, insideevs’s bot wont let me poste the link.

So, according to a lot of you, these 2 great minds and Musk just gave up and slapped the floating screen on there and that’s it? Fools! go ahead, light up another one!

Same applies to a standard speedometer... the only solution that doesn't involve taking eyes off the road is a HUD projected virtually in front of the car so your eyes don't have to change focus... Although assuming you check your mirrors, your eyes would be changing focus anyway. Besides battery SOC and speed, I'm not sure what other bare essentials are needed by the driver. Model S is a good example of providing data to the driver that one might argue the driver doesn't actually need in order to manually drive the vehicle.
I agree. People should try to pay more attention to where their eyes are actually focusing while driving for a minute or two. Mine are definitely looking at various places on the road, mirrors, gauges, center console, etc... I'm rarely just looking straight ahead, and I cannot simultaneously focus on the instruments behind the wheel while also looking out at the road.
I really don't think looking at the top left corner of the screen is going to be any issue at all once you train you brain to look there.
The bigger issue will what Tesla does with the UI. Where will critical information be placed on the screen? How will warnings and alerts be displayed? What kind of audible (or maybe tactile) alerts will be used along with the visible ones.
I think these decisions will be much more important than the center screen vs. behind the wheel instrument panel.
We have no idea about any of this yet. It may wind up being great or horrible. Hopefully the will reveal the full UI in July.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and JeffK
Door hangers are not needed by 99.5 percent of the time you're not going to be using them (made up statistic but probably true ;)). I've probably used them one or two times where I could have just as well laid my stuff flat on the seat instead of obstructing my view out of that particular window. I'm sure you can figure out an aftermarket coat hanger if you are dying to have one.

Front cup holders are not under elbows see (and his seat is pushed forward too):
tesla-model-3-design-prototype--piloted-by-vp-doug-field_100551167_l.jpg

As far as vanity mirror lights... The majority of vanity mirror lights are too dim to see anything anyway and in many cars they are only on the driver's side. This also adds more wiring.

I feel the same way about grab handles... who actually uses those besides an old lady.

One thing to keep in mind with the model 3 timeline, is that it was always planned to launch late 2017, this has not been moved forward. There isn't some aggressive time crunch. The pressure right now is to scale faster than anticipated, but the design was basically finished and the alphas were on stage before this faster ramp up was even planned.

I think we're going to see a great car... certainly going to blow away my Prius.

Not sure what cars you've owned, but I can't recall the last car I had that didn't have a vanity mirror light on the passenger side. There are many pros to the 3, but sometimes it looks like people twist themselves into a pretzel to excuse design issues.

I agree. People should try to pay more attention to where their eyes are actually focusing while driving for a minute or two. Mine are definitely looking at various places on the road, mirrors, gauges, center console, etc... I'm rarely just looking straight ahead, and I cannot simultaneously focus on the instruments behind the wheel while also looking out at the road.

What people seem to think typical dash orientation allows, that Model 3 does not:

images_6.jpg

Not sure what cars you've owned, but I can't recall the last car I had that didn't have a vanity mirror light on the passenger side. There are many pros to the 3, but sometimes it looks like people twist themselves into a pretzel to excuse design issues.
Here are two examples of what I'm talking about :
17adee7a16fb0972f2a211c78486eef9x.jpg

here's a prime example of a useless light (because it's so dim)
Forester_09LitVisor_Open_reflect_silo2.jpg

Hmmm...

Model 3 Floating Screen Is Riskiest Design Move Yet For Tesla

What the hell are you guys smokin’? I cannot beleive how everybody have such a short memory. ALL of you who beleive that the release candidate’s interior with a $99 floating screen display is the real thing are fools. Sorry to be so blunt! RC are the same as prototypes and Musk aint gonna show his cards yet, that is set for July. Musk never said what you see in the RC is the final interior, ever. He said quite the opposite in fact. ”Wait until you see the REAL STEERING CONTROLS and system for the 3, it feels like a spaceship, he said. For people complaining about the lack of display or HUD he said ”It will make sense AFTER the part 2 (3) of the reveal.
Remember Tesla hired Milan Kovac: Tesla's Latest Hire Hints At Model 3 Getting Advanced HUD
Remember Tesla also hired Félix Godard for designing the steering controls: (look for it, insideevs’s bot wont let me poste the link.

So, according to a lot of you, these 2 great minds and Musk just gave up and slapped the floating screen on there and that’s it? Fools! go ahead, light up another one!
Sorry to burst your bubble but what you see what you get. Tesla's number one concern is to be on time. If there is a different steering controls we would see it by now I don't think you could just remove the RC one and replace it with something high-tech without testing it.I think you are the one who is smoking something.

Sorry to burst your bubble but what you see what you get. Tesla's number one concern is to be on time. If there is a different steering controls we would see it by now I don't think you could just remove the RC one and replace it with something high-tech without testing it.I think you are the one who is smoking something.

You can tell him that. I just quoted his comments.

Exactly - looks like sensory overload. I predict when M3 owners drive another car they'll feel like they're flying a helicopter.

View attachment 229169
Too many straw men here to make headway. Yes, there are terrible, over-complicated interiors. No, the only alternative to those is not to strip everything out and toss in a tablet on a stick. Anyway, a helicopter is easy to fly. Hovering, not so much.
Robin