Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Internal Radar Detector Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you go for mirror power or the switchable source in the footwell area? I've done mirror in the past but might go down to the footwell this time.

Trying for the footwell.....I'm purchasing a clamp multimeter to try to identify the correct wire in the door jam, will give it another try this weekend. Below is a link to the thread I started this weekend when I was having problems, and I'm still having problems. Many videos in there, I think most people are avoiding the mirror and are targeting a switched 12V spot. I've wired every car I've ever owned, this one is not a no brainer.

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

You must be saying you went off the mirror power then. @Big Ern used the foot well. Short stubby wont work there lol

I was going to originally go that route (all my other cars are that way) but the power is constant and I wanted it switched. So I soldered a wire on the pin of the Cig Lighter and picked up a ground at the lug under the cabin filter. Brought the wire pair under the glove box, up the passenger A pillar and across the head liner. The Power Adapter has to sit in the head liner just above the rear view mirror because there is no room in the camera cover. Valentine is mounted with a BlendMount.

Also I tried the driver side switched power described but my plug has a cable in front of it which is preventing a connector from going in.

I was going to originally go that route (all my other cars are that way) but the power is constant and I wanted it switched. So I soldered a wire on the pin of the Cig Lighter and picked up a ground at the lug under the cabin filter. Brought the wire pair under the glove box, up the passenger A pillar and across the head liner. The Power Adapter has to sit in the head liner just above the rear view mirror because there is no room in the camera cover. Valentine is mounted with a BlendMount.

Also I tried the driver side switched power described but my plug has a cable in front of it which is preventing a connector from going in.
Yeah seems people are seeing varying conditions best the footwell switchable source. I haven't opened mine up yet to see. I did consider tapping in by the usb and cig lighter area...

I finally got around to documenting my radar install to the switched 12v near vleft. Ended up using the Blendmount for a high position (greater range they say) and am really happy how it turned out. I'm hearing reports that the recent software updates have stopped switching the usb and 12v cigarette lighter ports on and off, which means your radar never turns off if you use those ports. Any else seeing that?

How to Hard Wire Install a Radar Detector to the Tesla Model 3 | LivingTesla
Power.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Scrutmonkey