Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 inventories up -- any deals happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be curious to know what types of deals folks have been able to find/obtain for recently ordered/delivered 2020 MY SR+ cars. It would be helpful to know what discounts have been netted and how those discounts have been found (on the Tesla inventory site, over-the-phone discussions with Tesla employees, or other channels).

I can start. Found and ordered on April 4th a 2020 Model 3 SR+ with black interior, 19" sport rims, and white paint on the Tesla existing inventory site local to my area (Charlotte) with 1,600 miles being sold as new (likely a demo car). MSRP pre-destination and doc fee was $41,490. The car was discounted $3,130, bringing the total listed price to $38,360. I did call the service center prior to ordering online to attempt to negotiate/haggle, but they would not move at all (either in price or with free add-ons). The ~7-8% discount seemed solid and I pulled the trigger anyway.

Is there any way to get access to that data without having to call the rep each time?

No, in a perfect world you will get a rep that is eager for a sale and will keep watch for you and notify you of anything that pops up in their database. The more defined your needs/wants are and if they know you will buy immediately if they find what you want the better.
Typically any deals on demos sell fast (even now) so timing is likely everything.
If your rep thinks you are just curious and not ready to buy it would not be worth their effort to constantly monitor and alert you on offers.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Man, just wonder how a "demo" gets 6K miles on it. Must have been a Tesla employee's fleet car?

My P100D X was also a new demo and it had like 4k miles on it too. Discount made up for the miles as it had original MSRP of $160k and I got it for nearly half +$3750 tax credit. The demo cars come with full warranty and whatever incentives you can get from your state.

Reactions: TypeRx
My P100D X was also a new demo and it had like 4k miles on it too. Discount made up for the miles as it had original MSRP of $160k and I got it for nearly half +$3750 tax credit. The demo cars come with full warranty and whatever incentives you can get from your state.

WOW! I also have a 2020 X and it is amazing how the MSRP on these dropped over time. Tesla really screwed early adopters but I'm glad you got a great discount.

It would be fun to be able to track down the "history" on our demo cars. Mine was used by Tesla engineering to develop track mode v2! LOL. Took multiple trips to their engineering shop, to Thunderhill, etc. I am certain it was in a youtube video as well. Also, based on the Bluetooth pairing I know which engineer had the car for a period of time and also that they liked BBQ (from a couple places in the Nav). Others may quickly walk away from a car with such a history :D

Yeah, but the car is a year old. How is that such a bargain?

That’s about a 17% discount for a one year old car. Used Teslas usually hold their value more than that, so as used Teslas go that is a decent discount. And if you live in a state where you are eligible for a rebate, you still qualify for it with this car, so that makes it even better.

But compared to the deprecation on a BMW or similar car, it’s just about average.

Yeah, but the car is a year old. How is that such a bargain?

I could understand your point but you also need to consider that:

1. We don't know exactly when it was built...it may not be "a year old"
2. Used P3Ds with MANY more miles have been sold direct by Tesla for more than $47K. Private party sellers typically ask considerably more as well. When I bought my P3D in March, Tesla was selling a used 2019 with 30K miles for $49 or $50K. And it isn't available any longer so someone bought it (and since used doesn't get the benefits of a new title)
3. He still gets state and utility incentives. In CA you can take another $2K-$3K off for CVRP and electricity rebates
4. He still gets a brand new car warranty
5. There is some level of confidence (although certainly not guaranteed) that any major mechanical or aesthetic defects have been attended to (or avoided altogether)

This is a good price. I got lucky to snag a better deal but this is as good as it gets at this time!

Looks close to my deal. Heh.
ADVICE NEEDED: so I initially had a reservation for a blue / white LR AWD M3 which I delayed due to Coronavirus since I wouldn’t be driving much anyways. I was perfectly happy with waiting until the late summer to even take delivery, until my SA advisor emailed me saying if I was looking to take an inventory car, there was a performance M3 in the same spec I wanted for 4K off the price. Sounds like a great deal right? Except the catch is that the car is listed as new but has over 6K miles on it. After talking to them further they told me originally a customer ordered it, took delivery, and then in the 7 day window they returned it. After that the car became a demo car and is now listed as new but with 6k miles on it. Why would a customer return a car if there wasn’t something wrong with it? Shouldn’t I be getting even more off? And how in the world does a DEMO car get 6k miles on it (Build date of December 2019) but it’s a 2020 model year car. I’m so torn between thinking this is a good deal and thinking maybe it’s a rip off. Should I wait and just take delivery of a LR AWD in a few months? Or go with this performance? Any advice is appreciated!

ADVICE NEEDED: so I initially had a reservation for a blue / white LR AWD M3 which I delayed due to Coronavirus since I wouldn’t be driving much anyways. I was perfectly happy with waiting until the late summer to even take delivery, until my SA advisor emailed me saying if I was looking to take an inventory car, there was a performance M3 in the same spec I wanted for 4K off the price. Sounds like a great deal right? Except the catch is that the car is listed as new but has over 6K miles on it. After talking to them further they told me originally a customer ordered it, took delivery, and then in the 7 day window they returned it. After that the car became a demo car and is now listed as new but with 6k miles on it. Why would a customer return a car if there wasn’t something wrong with it? Shouldn’t I be getting even more off? And how in the world does a DEMO car get 6k miles on it (Build date of December 2019) but it’s a 2020 model year car. I’m so torn between thinking this is a good deal and thinking maybe it’s a rip off. Should I wait and just take delivery of a LR AWD in a few months? Or go with this performance? Any advice is appreciated!
Personally, the 4k discount isn't worth it for me. Imagine how many people have been inside the vehicle and launched the car 0-60.. it's basically a used car. If I were you, I would just wait for the car you ordered and have it brand new

I've seen people post similar $4k off deals on demo cars, but the mileage has always been under 2500 miles. If it had 2000 miles or less, then I could see it as a viable option. But 6000 miles has a lot of use on it, and being a demo P3D car that means a lot of people wanted to drive it and feel just how fast it is - meaning lots of hard acceleration & launch "tests" from customers who may not be familiar with how to drive an EV, let alone how to care for one.

Not to mention the wear & tear (or abuse) that could have taken its toll on the seats, steering wheel, interior pieces (people's natural sense of wanting to touch everything), and the center console will probably have a lot of micro abrasions on it.... which can be covered up with a wrap, but you still don't want to see that. However, you never know as it could possibly be in pristine condition. If you're at all considering it, tell the SA that you want to look at the car in person before making a final decision.

I'd wait on it if you don't need a car now. If it had 8-12k discount id go for it. Multiple inventory demo P3Ds have popped up with 9-10k off, so might help to be patient.