Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the harness, but not the speaker, then part 1299965-00-A. Sounds like its in the $50-$60 mark.

No part on the schematic though.

upload_2020-12-26_8-40-18.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pow216
So anyone can confirm M3 UK got the external speaker or not ?
My August 2019 Model 3 LR has the harness and not the speaker. From what I've seen on here no UK cars have the speaker fitted.

After July 2021, assuming the UK still matches the EU regulations (?) then new Model 3 will need an APNS to remain compliant.

There is currently no regulations stating they will need to be retrofitted to existing cars prior to that point, its a requirement on new cars only.

• Informative
Reactions: akenham
After July 2021, assuming the UK still matches the EU regulations (?) then new Model 3 will need an APNS to remain compliant.

There is currently no regulations stating they will need to be retrofitted to existing cars prior to that point, its a requirement on new cars only.

I believe that even existing type approved vehicles even being delivered new are not required to have the feature. I believe only the Model Y and future models are likely to be affected as they will be a new model introduction.

As for laws regarding retrofitting of features to earlier vehicles, I can think of no other situation where this was necessary in the past although if a feature was fitted, it would be required to be kept in working order.

• Informative
I’ve now gone from being pleased to not have the external speaker to wanting it.

Most people report that the loom is present. Does that mean the electronics to drive it is present? Will the system need to be told by the mothership that the speaker is present or will it be clever enough to detect its presence? I hope it’s the latter! Does the vehicle throw a fault code if one of the internal speakers is disconnected?

Main question is, if Tesla builds this into vehicles in many markets why does it then omit it in the UK and others? Given it does make the car safer (certainly for pedestrians) and safety is Tesla mantra are they really skipping fitting to save what must be a few bucks. Even if people had the option to disable it would seem very sensible and on brand to include.

I believe that even existing type approved vehicles even being delivered new are not required to have the feature. I believe only the Model Y and future models are likely to be affected as they will be a new model introduction.

As for laws regarding retrofitting of features to earlier vehicles, I can think of no other situation where this was necessary in the past although if a feature was fitted, it would be required to be kept in working order.
That was the case from July 2019, from July 2021 all new EVs sold need the capability, irrespective of when they were type approved.

See I.2(e) in EUR-Lex - 32017R1576 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)

• Informative
If you open the panel in front of the right wheel (remove the two fasteners and you can bend it to look in) you can shine a torch in and see if there's anything there.. speaker, maybe a wire to plug a speaker in if you're lucky. I suspect no UK model has the speaker part if the 2021 doesn't, but you might have the wire as some have reported theirs does.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216
Since there is interest, I'll repeat what I learned back in the summer. My M3LR was delivered Sep 2019 so built Jun/Jul/Aug 2019 I would guess. It does have the harness and with a 4 ohm speaker connected you can *just* hear the pedestrian sounds if you put the speaker next to your ear, and it does change sound if put into reverse. So it is wired and ready to go, but somewhere in the software something is turned off. The connections are two wires which I took to be simply audio outputs, I don't think it's a CAN connection as there aren't sufficient wires. So I figure the speaker unit is simply that, a waterproof plastic type speaker driver in a housing. I guess there is a software toggle somewhere that the service centre or mothership can enable for your VIN which would turn the amplifier on for that circuit and with this update presumably enable the features. I am expecting that UK cars will not show the 'Boombox' options as it appears none were supplied with the speaker.

It does have the harness and with a 4 ohm speaker connected you can *just* hear the pedestrian sounds if you put the speaker next to your ear, and it does change sound if put into reverse. So it is wired and ready to go, but somewhere in the software something is turned off.

Reported elsewhere is that after fitting the official speaker you need to do a scroll wheel reset.

• Informative
Reactions: mpandrew
If you open the panel in front of the right wheel (remove the two fasteners and you can bend it to look in) you can shine a torch in and see if there's anything there.. speaker, maybe a wire to plug a speaker in if you're lucky. I suspect no UK model has the speaker part if the 2021 doesn't, but you might have the wire as some have reported theirs does.

I suspect you are right, I've not checked mine either, but it looks like they've been fitting the wiring harness to all M3s manufactured since late 2019 and only fitting the speakers where the market requires it.

I expect the UK/EU deliveries in 2021/Q2 to have the speaker because from Q3 it will be a legal requirement and they may want to avoid the expense of retrofit for any inventory vehicles; then again this is Tesla so they may decide that it'll be cheaper to retrofit any unsold inventory when they have to instead of just installing them at the factory for the 80% of cars that will be delivered before it must be fitted.

Being a bit cynical I expect this is a bit like the introduction of airbags: Initially they only got fitted on the driver's side because it makes more economic sense to save the person who bought the car. ;)

This is interesting and something i didn't try when playing in the summer. Maybe the car detects the speaker resistance during initial boot up and configures accordingly. I'll have another go in the week, fills the time :)
Anyway to purchase the speaker in the UK thou? Especially as non of the M3's here have it as standard, I guess we'll be waiting for a 3rd party solution