Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused (it's not difficult). All new EV cars built after July 2019 should have this system fitted and activated? Having just searched on YouTube as a result of this thread, I'm hearing these (hideous) noises for the first time, and I can't understand why I've not heard it at all on the numerous 2021 M3 reviews I've been watching.
There was a two year phasing in period so it’s mandatory from July 2021. They have not been fitted on UK M3’s until this recent batch just delivered this quarter so basically 21 plate onwards will have it. Merc started installing them in December 2020 update but have barely delivered any PHEV’s since then

I'm confused (it's not difficult). All new EV cars built after July 2019 should have this system fitted and activated?
Not quite. All "models approved for sale" after July 2019 have to have it. The Model 3 was approved for sale in the UK prior to July 2019.

Additionally though, all cars sold after July 2021 have to have it irrespective of when that model was approved for sale.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I think we’re all expecting June deliveries so as a result I think that disconnecting the speaker after delivery should not cause any legal issues. I plan on disconnecting my speaker, it looks very easy and quick to do. I am not a lawyer so take this with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Durzel
Biggest concern is what your insurers would have to say about that. Pretty guaranteed no coverage in an incident over here with the abstract ocean kit fitted I would say, it’s just too obvious

Arguably better to remove the speaker completely as long as there are no software issues

all comes down to if it’s noted on the V5 or elusive tech specs, it is noted on the specs of the inventory models so I guess DVLA and insurers will know it was fitted so then it falls into the realms of if it’s there it must work

That’s why I wouldn’t even bother with any accessories, just disconnecting the cable is enough. Given Tesla’s reputation for build quality issues I don’t think anyone would be surprised by yet another cable coming loose. And I would not recommend physically removing the speaker either.

Hi all,

Do the 2021 Model 3s have an outside speaker and make a UFO-ish reverse sound when reversing?

I believe the above only applied to U.S. vehicles but a fellow on YouTube who picked his car up last week posted a video of the above and it's not something I've spotted before.

Any idea if all 2021 vehicles have it or whether only recently-shipped cars are getting it?

Thanks

Hi all,

Do the 2021 Model 3s have an outside speaker and make a UFO-ish reverse sound when reversing?

I believe the above only applied to U.S. vehicles but a fellow on YouTube who picked his car up last week posted a video of the above and it's not something I've spotted before.

Any idea if all 2021 vehicles have it or whether only recently-shipped cars are getting it?

Thanks

Ah, misunderstanding of the phrase 'approved'. So is there anything that says if the vehicle has it fitted and is registered before this date, it must be functional?

From one of the videos it seems that even taping over the speaker at the bottom can reduce some of the volume whilst still leaving it operational. Frankly I'd rather unplug the bloody thing until it has the ability to operate at a level somewhere below 'obnoxious'.

The LR cars that were just delivered came with the Pedestrian Warning System, but not the full Boombox. Some people have said that under the UK law the Boombox is apparently illegal, so I suspect the P will be the same.
If true, that's very good news.

Although I appreciate that some do, not all Tesla drivers want to drive like teenagers on steroids in a car sounding like a Bronx rapper. Silence will suit me fine for as long as possible & I have a horn for those occasions when a pedestrian is unaware.

Reactions: oconnellm
If true, that's very good news.

Although I appreciate that some do, not all Tesla drivers want to drive like teenagers on steroids in a car sounding like a Bronx rapper. Silence will suit me fine for as long as possible & I have a horn for those occasions when a pedestrian is unaware.
100% agree. Same applies to the alarm. Mine went off on my local high street a couple of weeks ago and it was a mortifying race back to the car to turn off a face-meltingly loud heavy metal version of Bach's Toccata & Fugue.

I really wish Tesla would invent a 'subtle mode' for folk like me who don't want fart noises, ridiculous alarms and alien invasion sounds.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Ah, misunderstanding of the phrase 'approved'. So is there anything that says if the vehicle has it fitted and is registered before this date, it must be functional?
Don't know for sure but I can see it being an MOT test at some point in the future and if its fitted it needs to work, a bit like you don't need a spare wheel, but if you do it has to be roadworthy. It won't make any difference either way short term as it won't make the car unroadworthy, and if its not working at worst you might be given a notice to get it working just like if an indicator was out on the car.

I have a MIC 2021 Model 3 collected in March . It has the grille.

No idea if there is a speaker behind it, but no boombox feature is listed in settings.

Do you think these MIC cars have this speaker and if not do you think Tesla service centre will be required to fit one to meet this PWS requirement?

I have a MIC 2021 Model 3 collected in March . It has the grille.

No idea if there is a speaker behind it, but no boombox feature is listed in settings.

Do you think these MIC cars have this speaker and if not do you think Tesla service centre will be required to fit one to meet this PWS requirement?
The march cars dont appear to have the speaker and there should be no requirement for it to be retrofitted as your car was supplied before 01/07/21. I guess this latest batch are past a point in the production timescale where they had to be fitted as there’s no guarantee the cars would be sold before that date.

Aren't the MIC cars being delivered only doing the PWS thing in reverse?

Boombox is not legal in the UK (Europe), so that's not going to happen any time soon. See this helpful post.

If it were me getting a MIC car now with this switched on, I'd just disconnect it and maybe remove the speaker. Bingo - you have a car that didn't happen to have PWS installed because the parts weren't available and it wasn't mandatory to be delivered with it at that time.

Aren't the MIC cars being delivered only doing the PWS thing in reverse?

Boombox is not legal in the UK (Europe), so that's not going to happen any time soon. See this helpful post.

If it were me getting a MIC car now with this switched on, I'd just disconnect it and maybe remove the speaker. Bingo - you have a car that didn't happen to have PWS installed because the parts weren't available and it wasn't mandatory to be delivered with it at that time.

Wish someone that has just taken delivery (May 2021) would just post a video, or at least give a full description! I have heard through one report on FB that it is just in reverse... but it isn’t clear that this was on a recent (May) delivery.