Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, thank you ! Although, (to me at least), it sounded like there was a sound in fwd... over and above tyre noise?
I couldn’t really tell as that section of the video was too short but I’m inclined to agree, matches up to the American sounds I have seen in other videos.

Regardless, the law is for sound to be generated at all speeds below 18mph / 30kph I believe so it will make a sound in the future even if it doesnt just now.

"No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg.."

Seems pretty clear.

It's the reason the leaf for example only makes a noise going forwards.

"No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg.."

Seems pretty clear.

It's the reason the leaf for example only makes a noise going forwards.
Did you deliberately leave out the second part to that?
“… or
if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act.”

No, it's an 'or' so not relevant if forbidden under the first already.
I’m afraid your interpretation is incorrect. The first element is an exception, the second element is the second part of the restriction. This section deals with vehicles beeping when they reverse. Only vehicles over 2 tonnes are allowed to beep when reversing.

As a piece of practical evidence, Hyundais and Kias have had PWSs fitted as standard for a number of years now, which does indeed emit a sound both forward and backwards. If your interpretation were correct, all these thousands of vehicles would be breaking the law. (Spoiler: they’re not.)

Reactions: GRiLLA
I’m afraid your interpretation is incorrect. The first element is an exception, the second element is the second part of the restriction. This section deals with vehicles beeping when they reverse. Only vehicles over 2 tonnes are allowed to beep when reversing.

As a piece of practical evidence, Hyundais and Kias have had PWSs fitted as standard for a number of years now, which does indeed emit a sound both forward and backwards. If your interpretation were correct, all these thousands of vehicles would be breaking the law. (Spoiler: they’re not.)
Agreed, same with Leaf's, reverse only noises.

Tesla (and Nissan, Hyundai etc) will need to have forwards and reverse noise for all new sold cars in June, I'm not very convinced that white noise above is really going to be it, at least it should change in tone as the car moves.

Mercedes definitely have a noise in reverse and its much closer to a truck reversing than the UFO sound of the Tesla!!

You cant just look at one rule in isolation here, its perfectly possible that the new rules under which PWS are being rolled out specifically over-ride the regulation you refer to in respect to PWS systems only. This is normal for codes and standards which are largely still applicable but sections become irrelevant in the face of other priorities.

My Renault Zoe from 2016 has a dedicated button for it's PWS. I'm pretty sure it's forward and reverse. You can temporarily disable it or choose from 3 different sounds by holding the button.

I used to compulsively turn it off when I first got the car but just completely forget about it now as you can't really hear it from inside the cabin.

All being well with Tesla deliveries, Thursday will be my last drive in that car!

Certainly, noise in forward and reverse is/was the intention

• from 1 July 2019, manufacturers must fit acoustic sound systems to new types of quiet electric vehicles to prevent them being too silent, improving safety
  • vehicles will now have systems to produce a sound when they are reversing or driving below 20 kilometres per hour (km/h, about 12mph) providing greater confidence to vulnerable road users
  • new regulations will help ensure future transport is safe and accessible for everyone, a key Future of Mobility: Urban Strategy pledge

From 1 July 2019, all manufacturers must install a system in new types of quiet electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Sound generators will produce a specified level of noise when they are reversing or running below 20 km/h (about 12mph). The sound generated will be similar to that made by a conventional engine and can be temporarily deactivated by the driver if judged necessary.

Source: New noise systems to stop ‘silent’ electric cars and improve safety

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricChapel
Aren't the MIC cars being delivered only doing the PWS thing in reverse?

Boombox is not legal in the UK (Europe), so that's not going to happen any time soon. See this helpful post.

If it were me getting a MIC car now with this switched on, I'd just disconnect it and maybe remove the speaker. Bingo - you have a car that didn't happen to have PWS installed because the parts weren't available and it wasn't mandatory to be delivered with it at that time.
Or Bingo, PWS system fault please schedule service with Tesla app

Reactions: Durzel
Really hoping we get the option to turn this off temporarily - do not need this going off when reversing off my drive at 8 in the morning ...
Took delivery of a M3LR last Thursday. It really isn't that bad. It is only in reverse and I'd describe it as a low 'spaceship' hum. It increases in tone and volume as your reverse speed increases. I can't see it waking up the neighbours to be honest.

Reactions: Kietrax
Who don't want the pws start to pray to do not happen the worst.
Almost two weeks ago, trying to out of my drive way, very slowly, I'm out only 10 cm and in that moment a women over 60 years want to pass. Was very scared because don't hear and don't see nothing to think from there will out any car. On my right is a blind spot because the hedge is almost 1.70 meters high.
After 10 minutes, when the woman, was recovered I explained why she can't hear nothing.
I ask sorry for everything finished.... but if was worst? Heart attack ?
I don't want to think.
Even if "you" pay attention... some people can be scared.

Who don't want the pws start to pray to do not happen the worst.
Almost two weeks ago, trying to out of my drive way, very slowly, I'm out only 10 cm and in that moment a women over 60 years want to pass. Was very scared because don't hear and don't see nothing to think from there will out any car. On my right is a blind spot because the hedge is almost 1.70 meters high.
After 10 minutes, when the woman, was recovered I explained why she can't hear nothing.
I ask sorry for everything finished.... but if was worst? Heart attack ?
I don't want to think.
Even if "you" pay attention... some people can be scared.
Yup, I completely understand hence my (downvoted ;)) post above! I've heard of a number of examples where pedestrians haven't realised there was a car or that it was moving, or about to move, due to lack of engine noise.